“Just okay..........but a few employees need an attitude adjustment.”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Sandy Springs, Georgia
“Just okay..........but a few employees need an attitude adjustment.”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Had 2 rooms for one night since we were staying the week at the Marriott timeshare next door. Booked utilizing points and we arrived at the resort about 1 1/2 hours before check-in. I did not expect the rooms to be ready with a 4 p.m. check-in but was surprised that one of the rooms was ready so we could at least unload our luggage and get the vacation started. The Marriott front desk representative said they were all out of pagers so she would call us when the room was ready. Well at 5:15 p.m. the room was still not ready so a bit of caution to folks traveling in: 4 p.m. check-in means sometime AFTER 4 p.m. So don't expect the room to be ready right at 4. Just be prepared because we heard the same thing here and at the Frenchman's Cove from the Marriott employees.

After check-in we decided to head down for a few cocktails at the bar above the pool and I'd say that is what started the process of not receiving 4 or 5 stars. The bartender was TERRIBLE. She was cranky. Lacked the ability to ask if you needed another drink. Lacked personal skills. She just seemed completely unhappy to be there along with a few other employees who came up behind the bar to do some other things. I saw folks walk up and not even get waited on and eventually leave because she was busy doing other things or failed to even acknowledge them. We brushed this off as the humidity getting to her and maybe have a terrible day. But after an hour there we moved on.

Finally at 5:45 the 2nd room was ready and we received a nice corner room so it was worth the wait.

Dinner that night was also something that kept it from 4 or 5 stars. We ate in the restaurant inside of the Marriott and we were quite confused by the entire process and seating arrangements of bar area food and restaurant area food that are next to each other. Service was slow, food was bland, chicken dish was mostly skin, etc. Service was so bad that we were about to go fetch the water ourselves since we could see the water pitchers. $120 total bill for some of the most bland and terrible food that I've ever had at a Marriott. We even asked our waiter, who lacked paying attention to tables, for some bread and he stated they don't serve bread there but 2 tables next to us, with a different waiter was receiving bread. So we thought maybe our request was lost in translation. So be aware the restaurant (can't recall the name), next to the indoor bar on level 3 is terrible.

The pools were nice. The infinity pool early in the morning was nice as there seemed to be a late arriving crowd. But the pools, beach area near Coco's, etc. were all very nice and no complaints there. Individuals at the Infinity pool bar were great and made up from cranky bartender on day 1. And Coco's has just an amazing view on the water and is a great place for lunch but you can expect the basic Marriott pool/bar menu there.

I will say Marriott made up for the later check-in by allowing us to check out of one room at 1:30 p.m. I did not expect that.

I struggled between giving the resort 3 or 4 stars but went with just Average since this is a full service Marriott and I expect better. I do think the full service Marriott needs to have a word with their employees about attitude. Folks come on vacation to relax and enjoy. Not be around cranky individuals with bad attitudes. I would have stayed at work if I wanted to be around that. But the Marriott Frenchman's Cove employees were all pleasant and happy during our entire stay. So cheer up full service Marriott employees.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank relgin123
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for sharing your honest feedback, as guest reviews are so important to our ability to deliver a great vacation experience. We are reviewing your specific comments with our food and beverage team in in order to address the specifics of your dining experiences. I am pleased you received a late check-out and had encountered service more consistent with the reputation we are founded upon. We sincerely hope you will stay with us again and look forward to welcoming you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,582)
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

I actually stayed in the villas at the marriotts cove... But we used the pools at the reef and the Morningstar beach is 2x the size as the beach at the cove. Good restaurants especially Havana blue. Get a rum bucket from the infinity pool bar and thank me later!

• Stayed July 2014
Wonderful. We’re very happy you took the opportunity to enjoy the infinity pool bar and the Morning Star Beach!
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed July 22, 2014

Spent 5 days with my wife.
I was disappointed by many aspects of the hotel.
While the location, views, and rooms are quite nice, the service and dining experiences were a struggle to get through.
A change of rooms took 40 min for the transaction (not including waiting for the new room to become available).
The hotel is run as a bunch of silos..with people at the activity desks, bell staff, wait staff, room staff all happy to refer you to someone else to answer a question ("they they they..."). There was an information desk person that offered an intrusive "help" that turned out to be a bait and switch attempt to sell upcharges. The staff tends to act overly familiar but I may be old-fashioned.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank David M
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry your stay was not all you hoped it would be. Please know that we use all constructive feedback as guidelines to create a better experience for all guests. Based on your satisfaction, with the location, rooms and views, we hope we will have another opportunity to win your loyalty. Before your next vacation to St. Thomas please feel free to reach out to our leadership team at sttfrexperienceteam@mattiotthotels.com and reference this review. I would like to have your reservation managed in a personalized way. Thanks again for staying with us.
Woodbridge
Reviewed July 22, 2014

This was one of the best trips I have ever taken and if it wasn't for the convenience of everything at the Marriott Frenchmen reef I probably would not have been able to do as many things that I did efficiently. My 5 year old who turned 6 during our stay was able to enjoy children activities everyday near the rum bar whom was very nice and creative. Taxis were readily available wherever I needed to go. At your service provided me with a birthday cake for my child and was discreet. Night kayaking with Sarah and two other people made that first time experience enjoyable. The morning star ferry had a really funny captain Scott and a nice captain marguerite. The bartenders and staff especially Danielle remember our faces and are very courteous. Tour of St Thomas and John was amazing. Overall that was a really great resort and a good experience and I would tell everyone to go there.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Missjanae7
“The Best Experience Ever” is the best review title and a big Happy Birthday to your child! We are honored you chose Frenchman’s Reef for this special occasion. With kids like yours in mind, we created the crafts activities at the Rum Bar and infinity pool splash pad. Thank you for letting us know these, our ferry and the personal service you received were all successes. We’ll let Yvonne, Scott and Sarah know they were appreciated.
Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is pass 5 stars. Great customer service, friendly. We took a ferry on yesterday to downtown july 21. Captain Scott is hilarious. Definitely on places to come back and visit. Beautiful views. I will recommend this location to friends.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank B G
Thank you for the five stars! We take pride in treating our guests with a warm responsive hospitality and appreciate the acknowledgement. And agreed, Captain Scott can tell a story! Let me add for the benefit of those planning travel, we have a ferry service to Charlotte Amalie that leaves right from our new dock every hour. It’s very convenient for a day of shopping or dining.
Des Plaines, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

We really enjoyed our visit. The hotel is lovely, with several different pools to swim at with their own style. When we did need service, we received it promptly, as in 15 minutes and they were in our room and then following up to make sure the staff had taken care of us. I really appreciated that kind of service! The food is pricey, but we kept prices down by grabbing some food at the Pueblo supermarket for breakfast and lunch, or the store inside the hotel. Favorite restaurant was Coco Joe's for its casual atmosphere and great food.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you. Coco Joe’s is a favorite for on-the-sand dining. The fish tacos are wonderful! We are so pleased to be able to provide you the hospitality Marriott is known for and hope you will return very soon!
Maryland
Reviewed July 21, 2014

I would have to say this was a great vacation spot. The place was spotless and the service was fabulous. The beach was great and the water was clear. AAA membership entitled me to free breakfast, which was great. The only advice I would give to Marriott would be to upgrade one of their restaurants' dinner menu to include steaks, pasta, etc. Most of the menus were lunch-type menus offering sandwiches and appetizers. I had a more pleasant dining experience off the property. I loved Bluebeards Castle for dinner. The Room With A View was perfect. One piece of advice I would give would be to bring a lot of cash for taxis, tips, etc. Taxis are expensive and only take cash.

Room Tip: I chose the Garden View at Morningstar. The difference in the price between Ocean Front and Garden V...