“Definitely a resort experience.”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, GA
“Definitely a resort experience.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Two nights at Frenchman's Reef was a great way to end our trip to the Virgin Islands. This resort has everything you can want...Beautiful pools, access to stunning beaches, lots of beach bars, fine dining, etc. The rooms were nicely furnished. The beds were comfortable. The views were breathtaking. There were a lot of people but it never really felt crowded. We had no issue locating beach and pool chairs either day we were there. The staff was friendly. We didn't experience any problems.

1 Thank 4ManFam
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Thank you for your generous review which highlights the pools, beaches, bars and restaurants. This property was designed for the spacious feeling you describe and I appreciate you pointing that out. Besides the restaurants, pools and beach, there are numerous spots to take photos, enjoy a quiet conversation or just relax and take in the turquoise Caribbean hues. We hope you will join us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,552)
Tortola, British Virgin Islands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

I live in the BVI and every now and again, find myself in St Thomas for a night or two. I have stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef many times and on all my stay over visits to St Thomas, have stayed here more than at any other hotel (but my first time writing a review). In my books, Frenchman's Reef lives up to the Marriott standard for the most part but it is not perfect. I have stayed at much better/nice Marriott properties but this particular property has a vibe about it that is just nice and perhaps the reason for my repeat returns. Our last stay here was Saturday June 14th - hubby and I and 3 year old daughter. Because it was a last minute reservation, we ended up in the Harbour Wing of the hotel. Slightly disappointed as I never liked the look of that side but I saw it a chance to see the rooms in this wing as I had never stayed on that side before. I have stayed in the other three parts of the hotel (Main Tower, Seacliffe and Morningside). Without a doubt, Harbour Wing was my least favorite. It feels like a dormitory as you approach it off the lobby and the exterior/walkways are not very clean. The room itself was very big with a view that looked onto Charlotte Amalie which was nice once you looked past the parking lot immediately below the balcony. The room had a musty smell to it on first entering and it looked a bit tired and word. It seems as if less attention is being paid to these rooms over the rooms in the Main Tower in terms of maintaining a certain standard. But, it overall it was okay. Comfortable enough. We used the main pool which was not very busy by the time we got there in the late afternoon. In terms of dining, we had a late lunch at the Sunset Grill. The food was pretty good (fish tacos for my husband, shrimp and crab cake sandwich for me, chicken fingers for the daughter) and our waitress was very friendly and helpful. We have eaten here in the past and it can be hit and miss but they were on this time. The following morning, we had the breakfast buffet in the downstairs restaurant (what used to be Windows). It was VERY busy and just not as relaxing as one would have liked it to be. They were running out of a lot of the food options and the lines at the hot food stations were long. I can say that I have really enjoyed the breakfast buffet when I have stayed at the hotel on other occasions and it is less busy. There are always lots of food options and the offerings tend to be fresh. Overall, I will continue to stay here when it is possible to get a good rate. The rack rates are high for what you get in my opinion. I like the rooms in the Main Tower best particularly on the top floor where the ceilings are high and rooms just feel fresher and I also like the accommodation in Morningside.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Valerie G
It is always a pleasure to hear the details of a guest’s stay. We are very happy to read your recent visit was equally as enjoyable as previous vacations on St. Thomas. The seasoned details you gave will be especially helpful for travelers planning to come down for the first time. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if I can ever assist you.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Stayed for a weekend in April on a return visit to this resort. Had many issues the last time so it was a pleasant turn around to have none this trip. Rented a car this time which was the way to go. They have a self park up the hill and never had an issue finding a spot. Everything is expensive so I went to the Walmart and purchased wine/beer for the beach and room and ate off hotel property for two of the meals and that helped a lot. The best breakfast always has been and always will be at the Delly Deck in the Havensight Mall just down the road. Aso had breakfast at the Petite Pump Room at the Ferry dock. Splurged the 1st night and had dinner at the Marriott at Havanna Blue and the food was good but nothing to rave about. There is a shuttle running every 10 minutes or so between locations. All in all, a good trip. The staff was professional and nice and this trip was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
You picked a great angle for your photo of Morning Star Beach. Thank you for sharing it with the community here on TripAdvisor. I am so pleased your stay this time was problem free and you found our staff to be warm and responsive. We hope to welcome you back again!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Absolutely loved loved loved St. Thomas... The resort was fantastic and beautiful, would stay here anytime I'd go back to the island. Met an incredible staff, always smiling and pleasant, my favorite bartender Hollyce Z. The views everywhere were stunning, there can't be a bad view anywhere here. Where ever you turn there's beach, boats, mountains just beautiful. I recommend this place to any couple in need of a getaway.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for recommending Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort to couples. With the views you mentioned, our Lazule spa, 4 restaurants and a lovely beach, romance and relaxation abounds. I will be sure to pass along your compliments to Hollyce for serving you with a smile. We hope you return soon!
Laurel, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

This was our first trip to St. Thomas and we will definitely return next year. The hotel was set on a cliff side with great views from every vantage point. Our checkin was smooth thanks to Junea, who made sure we had everything we needed throughout our stay. The water taxi from the hotel was fun and informative and we really enjoyed Captain Scott. Buffet breakfast was very good, especially the omelets. Overall, this was a fun and relaxing stay. Thanks to the Marriott staff, see you next year.
Avis and Denise

Room Tip: We got an upgrade from our original reservation and Junea recommended the seacliff building room 352...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank traveldc69
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
We truly value your wonderful review! For making your check-in smooth and taking special care of you, we will be sure to recognize Junea. We are here ot serve you. Keep an eye on the TripAdvisor page (here) for specials and added values for your next stay. Thank you!
Stt
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

My family and I stayed at the Reef for my 40th Bday. It was a wonderful time. Yvonne in the Sports/Activity Center helped to make our boys' even more enjoyable with the fun games they played that earned them hotel credits!! Looking forward to the next time!

• Stayed March 2014
Happy Birthday! We’re glad you special occasion became happy family memories for you here on St. Thomas.
Tustin, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in June for vacation.
There are a lot to explore in this hotel. As people always mention, prices are high.
There is self-parking for free. Marriot shuttles take you up and down the hill for free
Rooms on the harbor wing are far from everything and lack of elevator is really a down point in there since guests have to take their stuff up and downs the stairs.
On site beach and rental is great.

Room Tip: Try to avoid the harbor wing. Try the infinity pool but the pool-side bar is super expensive. Grab y...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the recommendation and 5-star satisfaction ratings!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,187 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!