“Gorgeous location but service is lacking...”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
“Gorgeous location but service is lacking...”
Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I recently was married at this resort and had 32 guests along for the ride. This is a review of all of our stay and event at the Marriott. First, the excellent... Kate atwell, event manager, has to be the best coordinator you could ever hope for. She was responsive, friendly, and went out of her way to make sure everything was taken care of (even when it fell outside her obvious job duties). She never once complained or said something I wanted was unrealistic. She's an absolute gem. Also, Dijon at the front desk is super friendly and helpful. Trust me... ask for him by name and wait. You'll be grateful you did. The views are almost unbeatable and the renovated section of the hotel is lovely. If you use the adventure group, make sure to book night kayaking with Chris and melissa! They were really knowledgeable and fun. Now for the good... food was overpriced but I never had a bad meal. The bacon at the buffet is cooked perfectly each morning but otherwise, nothing was spectacular. It was all consistently good so I can't complain (even though things were a bit overpriced, even for an island resort.) The elevators were exceptionally quick (funny to review but it's definitely helpful when staying on the 8th floor) and the gift shop pretty much has anything you may have forgotten. The bad... The inconsistent customer service and general disorganization of the hotel is practically laughable (in fact, several locals told us the Marriott is the running joke for months of profound over bookings and lack of accountability). Our group actually arrived to an extremely RUDE welcoming where the front desk gave my guests attitude, stating no one could check in because our travel agent never paid them. They began charging our guests credit cards for the entire stay even though we had paid in full months before arriving. It turned out accounting hadn't relayed the payment information to the front desk... which would have been a forgivable error if they had handled it in a calm and friendly manner rather than giving us attitude and telling us it was our problem to figure out (no manager came out... no "let me look into this"... just blatent attitude). THANK GOD the event coordinator had provided me with her cell number before my arrival. She came upstairs and worked everything out even as our "friendly" front desk receptionist disagreed with her, stating she wasn't going to take responsibility for checking in a group without payment. The lacking service didn't end there... Some staff members were completely gracious while others were borderline ridiculous. Some maids will literally roll their eyes, huff, and make a big production if you get into an elevator they're using. Despite all the bad, I would actually say to go for the views, the ferry to town, the staff that is actually friendly... just insist on staying on the newly renovated side with an ocean view and take the poor attitudes with a grain of salt. St Thomas is a gorgeous location with some of the most amazing locals you'd ever meet.

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank mdoodles82
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Congratulations! Thank you for choosing Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort for your destination wedding. We greatly appreciate your warm acknowledgments of Kate, Dijon, Chris and Melissa and we look forward to passing along your kind words. We are also truly grateful for the details you provided regarding your check-in experience so that we can take immediate steps to ensure we don’t encounter these communication issues in the future. It is our highest aim for all guests to feel the warm responsiveness that Marriott is known for in each and every encounter with our team. Thankfully, your inspiration was not dampened by these mistakes. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you all to St. Thomas again. Best wishes!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,567)
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed April 23, 2014

This resort was amazing! The room was wonderful, clean and the bed was so comfortable! The staff was friendly, quick and tried to make sure that all of our needs were met. The view was breath taking and we could not have asked for better service. Our housekeeper Mary was wonderful and our room was spottless daily as we arived home. We loved everything about this resort and cant wait to go back ASAP. This resort exceeded our expectations and we plan on returning with our family and friends. We loved this place!!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Julianne P
Great review title! I am so pleased to hear everything about your visit was amazing. Mary will be specifically recognized for her stellar service; thank you for the specific mention of her name. Come back soon!
Scituate, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We stayed at the Main Hotel. I was nervous going there after reading reviews on this site, but we had no issues what-so-ever. Our room was recently renovated and beautiful. Our room was cleaned early every day. The staff was excellent...so nice and courteous. I don't understand the complaints about rude staff at all. We truly did not meet one rude person.

We have been to the Marriott Hotels in Aruba, Grand Cayman and St. Kitts and this one was far superior to those in every way. The infinity pools are awesome ! The beach is gorgeous, warm and the waves are fun. There is so much to do both on property and off property.

The Adventure center has great activities. We did the trip to St. John, the night kayak and Coral World, swim with the sea lions. I would recommend all of these activities with 5 stars ! Suki was our sea lion trainer and night Kayak guide with Dave. The swim with the sea lions was a dream come true for sure !

The food was good, 4 restaurants to choose from. We never had any trouble getting a seat at any of them. We special ordered things...so very surprised to hear that someone could not get a cheese quesadilla. Yvette at Coco Joe's is so much fun and a super waitress ! Mellentine, William and Daniel at Aqua Terra were exceptional ! Renee at the Sunset Grille was sweet and very attentive. Everyone made us feel welcome and at home.

The service from the maids to the General Manager Jean-Paul Nel was truly exceptional ! We hope to come back next year. This our new favorite vacation spot. We all wanted to stay longer !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
7 Thank Love_Vacations_LK
Thank you so much for making Frenchman’s Reef your favorite Caribbean destination. I can’t wait to share your generous review with Jean-Paul and the rest of the team! Your ‘once in a lifetime’ adventures sound downright awesome! Before your next journey, call ahead so we can welcome you back as returning guests!
Cleveland, OH
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed in the beginning of April 2014, the resort grounds were beautiful! Great view of Charlotte Amalie harbor! The Morningstar Beach is a nice, clean beach. Our room was unfortunately not an ocean view, but we still had a great view of the pretty St. Thomas hillsides. Easy access to downtown via the ferry boat. The restaurants were pricey, but the food was good.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
4 Thank Megan_Boris
Thank you for giving us your thumbs up! Spring is a wonderful time to visit. We were delighted to have you as our guests!
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed April 22, 2014

There is no better view any where. This property sits on a point that used to guard the main port of st Thomas. Why? Because of the views. The little pink tower houses the elevator that services the wing that is a feat of engineering. Built in the side of the cliff you overlook the bright blue Caribbean and the approach the cruise ships take to get to at Thomas. We stocked up at the pueblo market in Charlotte Amalie to offset the high Cost of food here. We had a frig and coffee maker. Drank coffee and watched the pilot boat hook up with the big ships and bring them in past the palm trees. Not a real friendly property for people who can't walk a flight if stairs. If you brought plenty of money you never need to leave this resort. 4 restaurants on property, bars, beachside and poolside service will keep u in your sunny seat. Get over the fact that they are double beds, get over the fact that there are tile floors, there is sand on those beaches that is soft and cool on your feet. Even if you go off property you will not find any super deals, it is a small island and this is close to as good as it gets.

• Stayed April 2014
3 Thank Bradzon
Your enthusiasm for Frenchman’s Reef and St. Thomas is infectious! Thank you! You photos are appreciated too. We look forward to welcoming you back again and again. And don’t forget, we offer a complimentary shuttle every 15 minutes between Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort if you would prefer to ride.
Boston
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Seeing some of the spoiled babies writing on here I wasn't sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised and will give you an honest review. First the people here on staff were genuinely nice people. Service was personable and quick. My room wasn't quite ready when I arrived but I only had to wait one hour. I would recommend packing a bathing suit in your carry-on. I paid for this trip in points but I was treated like I was paying in gold coins and was given a free upgraded room with a gorgeous view of the bay and the lights of Charlotte Amalie at night. The room was nice enough and I didn't smell any mildew. The only hints of anything not perfect were one towel that wasn't quite clean and a single cockroach in the elevator one night. Nothing to go crazy about. I wish that I had checked out the beach at the Cove property sooner in my trip. There is a reef there literally within inches of the beach and the water is calm and shallow - great for kids. They have a trampoline and a slide/climbing pyramid in the water too. They have night kayaking down there in clear kayaks with led's but I wasn't able to book that. The beach at the Reef property, Morningstar, has choppier water. It's not a bad beach but the best beaches are over to the north and east sides of the island. Don't spend all your time at that one - it's not a white sand beach despite what some reviewers on here write. They should fix the beach elevator that is broken. The hotel is up on a cliff so there are steps or elevators down to the beach and one morning I did see a man with an above knee leg amputation having to walk up the steps with a hydraulic prosthetic leg. The property has a lot of iguanas which are cool. The view from their patio is breathtaking by day but especially at night. Plenty of nice food options on site and they keep the main store on property open until 2 am which I love!!! Plan to use taxis or the shuttle to get around. Even though you are in Charlotte Amalie you cannot safely walk to all the action. The roads are too narrow with no sidewalk or shoulder- worse than Bermuda. This does have it's benefits though I guess in keeping the Senor Frogs types away from your kids. This area is good for families with fast food options nearby. Plenty of nice pools on site but with the warm waters of the Caribbean around me I think I only used it once. I would return here and I enjoyed my stay. I travel quite a bit and I had a nice time here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Cartman1968
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you for sharing your personal impressions of Frenchman’s Reef including the amenities and beaches. These are very helpful for travelers planning to bring their families down here. We would also like to just add one detail for those planning travel. We do offer a shuttle from Frenchman’s Reef to Morning Star Beach (also on property) at 15 minute intervals throughout the day. It can be very convenient for those that would prefer to ride. Also, we invite everyone to contact our pre-arrival team to explore the options with regards to local dining, activities and transportation in addition to all resort information. To this reviewer, thank you again. I am delighted to hear you felt genuinely cared for by our staff and your overall expectations were exceeded. We look forward to welcoming you back!
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed April 21, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Frenchman's Reef at the beginning of April and the weather was absolutely perfect, 80 and sunny everyday. The hotel was great and the staff was extremely friendly. We stayed in an oceanfront room in the "tower" section of the hotel facing the Caribbean which is the only type of room that I would recommend. We met a very nice couple on the resort and we went to their room before dinner one night and their room faced the city on the the other side of the hotel. This section of the hotel has not been updated and had a funky smell. I have seen reviews about this problem when I was looking before we booked our trip and they are true. When you book make sure that you request the tower facing the ocean and you will not have any issues and it will make your vacation even better. The food on the resort is way overpriced and not that great. Because there are not available restaurants within walking distance you are stuck on the resort to eat most of your meals so be prepared for that. Also make sure you bring cash for the cabs. Everywhere you go it will be $20.00 in a cab and like I mentioned, you can't walk anywhere from this location. The pools are GREAT! There are a total of three pools and the beach is awesome! The surroundings are breathtaking and the sunsets beautiful. You will not be disappointed staying at the Frenchman's Reef by any means but be prepared to spend money and walk up and downs a lot of stairs! It is a great property and my husband and I will be back.

Room Tip: Pay for an oceanfront room. It is worth every penny