Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
Mafolie Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
$202
$196
$161
$130
Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
$224
Windward Passage Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
$139
  • Pool
Olga's Fancy(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
$145
$99
Galleon House Bed & Breakfast(Charlotte Amalie)(Great Value!)
$95
$92
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Bunker Hill Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
$100
$96
Midtown Guest House(Charlotte Amalie)
$80
The Crystal Palace(Charlotte Amalie)
TripAdvisor
Bluebeard's Castle Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
No availability for your dates from our partners
4,425 results
All reviewsmorning starfrenchman's reefaqua terracoco joesthe main hotelharbor wingsunset grillrum barswim up baradventure centermain poolsea cliffinfinity poolnight kayakinggarden viewst thomastennis courts
Reviewed January 4, 2014

I hadn't been to St Thomas for a while so when I saw a trip come up to go I knew where I wanted to stay. The hotel has been updated greatly since I was last here. Even though the property was at nearly 100% capacity! I never felt rushed or neglected. One thing to remember that will make your stay more pleasant, St. Thomas operates on island time. This means that you need to put the rush rush mentality on the back burner. Do that, and everything will be fine. The staff is more than friendly and I never met someone in the hall that didn't say hello. The room that I had was well appointed with iron, hair dryer and coffee maker. The beach is wonderful and all of the restaurants serve quality food, I didn't have a bad meal. The only thing is the price. It is very expensive and you can count on almost $1000 a day during high season. Granted I could have shaved that price down a bit by eating off property, but the food was good enough that I didn't feel any need to go anywhere else. Tip, try and get a price for the taxi before you get in. We went to the same dive shop everyday and the price for two of us to go was between $20 and $12. So, will I be back, without a doubt.

Room Tip: Water views abound, ask for a harbor view if the morning sun is bothersome.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank RagtopDazed
Reviewed January 3, 2014

There were 8 total in our party, one party was supposed to have double beds in her room, she only had 1 bed for four people. They would not move her to another room saying they could bring in a roll away and that was the best they could do. My room had a nice ocean view (I was happy), the other room was supposed to be a view of the harbor and ocean view (she paid extra for that), but of course she did not receive it. She complained to no avail. The resort is laid out in a very comfortable style, my favorite place to hang out was the lobby. On a negative note, we checked out some towels late in the day (pool closes at 5), we notice the attendant closing up earlier but did not inquire as to why. He eventually closed the stand keeping our towel cards, fortunately someone saw him and asked for our towel cards back, he gave them back and left. So we are continue to enjoy the water with the kids, we see the clouds roll in as they had done everyday we were there (mostly short showers). Well this was not a short shower, it was a MAJOR THUNDERSTORM he could have warned us since it is now obvious he knew what was coming. We ended up stranded on the beach down at Morning Star (were all the rental equipment is located) we were staying at Frenchman's Reef, so you know how that story ended, we were stranded in the rain! Little things like this happened our entire stay at this "resort". They advertised a kids clubs but it was 'being remodeled'. So nothing for 3 kids and 2 teenagers to do whenever it rained.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Kim B
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Thank you for your review and feedback. The detail you provided is very helpful to our leadership team. Please accept my apologies for any inconvenience to you and your family during your stay. If there is anything further you would like to discuss, feel free to contact our leadership team at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. As a result of your comments, we are reviewing our towel card procedures and communications. Although it doesn’t rain like that often, we want to make sure our team is prepared. We hope that another vacation will bring you back to St. Thomas!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

The 3 rating is being generous. I am a Marriott Diamond member so I stay at properties all over and I must say that this one is in need of some serious attention! We stayed on Morningstar Beach and the rooms are old, in bad shape and our room had a strong aroma of pee mixed with must. All of the attractiveness of this property is reserved for the common areas and outside, what you mainly pay for, your room, is seriously neglected. This hotel should be ashamed of their rates when compared with what you get.
As most of the other posts mention the service is really lacking, especially in the restaurants, and they are extremely overpriced and not all that good. The comments about a crowded beach due to the cruise ship passengers are very true, it's awful, but in their defense on that topic their beaches by law have to be open to the public so just consider it not an amenity that you are paying for.
On the last day of my stay I called in advance for a bellman to assist with my luggage. A bellman never came and I had to carry my own heavy luggage down two flights of stairs in order to meet my transfer on time.
All these issues after paying a pretty price for a holiday stay.
*****IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY*******
If you have to endure a stay here try to have access to a hefty discount and do not utilize the restaurants or gift shops on the property. You will have buyer's remorse.
I am assuming the really good ratings belong to those who do not travel much or were in some euphoric state of mind during their stay and couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank Sherry W

Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott! Your impressions are meaningful and I regret to hear you felt your stay was not a good value. Before your next visit to St. Thomas please feel free to reach out to me through the hotel. I am confident we can find a more suitable room placement for you. Frenchman’s Reef, which offers more of a modern feel than the Morning Star Beach Resort may better suit you. Also, we are working daily on additional enhancements throughout the property. I would be interested in discussing your seasoned observations as we go forward. Thank you again for staying with us and I hope to hear from you this year!

Reviewed January 2, 2014

After reading good reviews on Tripvisor we booked our vacation at St.Thomas with Marriott Morning Star instead of St. Regis which I now regret.
First of all, the locaiton is far from all other major attractions. Our cab fairs came was enormous by end of the trip not to mention such hassel to take shuttle bus every time we wanted to go to the main lobby.
The rooms at Morning Star is more private and a good thing about it is it has beach infront of the property which is very nice. It wasn't crowded but not as nice as other beaches at St. Thomas.
First of all, the room was just not well maintained. Things were falling apart. The first day we were there the safety deposit wasn't working and we called to have it fixed. It took someone almost an hour to come and fix it when they said they'll be there in 15 min or so.
We did not have any food or had room service but we found 2 DEAD COCKRAOCHES in our room. We asked the housekeeping to make sure to clean them up when they came to clean the room. But the room attendant made the bed and did not clean the dead cockraoches. We wondered how can the room attendant miss it even we specifically call to tell them where they were. We requested to be cleaned it once more. But again it wasn't cleaned. We requested the third time! It took about span of 2 1/2 days for them to clean it up! It made us wonder how well they are cleaning the room? We still spotted sand and hair in the bathroom after they cleaned. And when we checked in it looked like previous guests had splashed coffee everywhere in the bathroom and the stains were still there... but of course wasn't cleaned at all.
Their spa is just mediocre. I tried the facial and nothing really special. They automatically charge gratuity which I thought was uncommon practice.
Only thing we appreciated staying there was a few staff who went out of their ways to help us look for a doctor for our baby who had high fever. Otherwise we were contantly harassed by marketing staff who approached us every chance they got to pitch their time share. It got to the point where I felt like I wasn't on a vacation anymore. They were very aggressive and just wouldn't leave us alone.
We left 3 sunglasses in the room. And usually if we do that the hotel place the items in lost and found. Out of a few times we left the items in the room 100% of the times we got our belonings back. But it took me phone calls after phone calls to just confirm they have found the items in the room. Then finally our of 5 different people I spoke to ONLY 1 person confirmed that they found the items and told me they'll send them to me. Instead I recieved only 2 and the most expensive sunglasses wasn't sent. We checked out in Novemeber... and it's January we still haven't gotten back from them whereabouts of this last sunglasses. How could they loose something they already have retrieved and confirmed to send it to the guest? Where did it go? No ones seems to know. We have plans to return to St. Thomas but we are not going to return to Marriott ever again! Thank god we did not sucker into buying their time share cause it would have been total waste of money!

Room Tip: A/C unit is very noisy and beach front room isn't necessarily great. The view from our room wasn't great because of a big tree. At night the noise of A/C and the waves kept us up all night.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ricebelly
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our group of nineteen, ranging in ages from 4 months to 87 years, spent a week at the Morning Star Resort from 12/25-12/31 2013. Initially, we were disappointed because we'd requested double rooms in the main hotel. We'd stayed there a couple of years ago and everything worked well. However, they moved us to Morning Star so we could all be together. The rooms with king-size beds and pull-out sofas weren't quite as comfortable and the air conditioners were load. However, they worked all right for couples with kids and they arranged to give us one room with two double beds to accommodate some of our older kids. Colin and Tina at the front desks were particularly helpful in sorting things out for us. Most of the rooms connected so it was ideal for our large family. The Morning Star was perfect for a large group since the rooms are conveniently located near a pool, the beach, volleyball, and restaurants. The restaurants are expensive but generally good.

Room Tip: The rooms right next to Coco Joe's (#55) are a little noisier but really convenient in terms of the pool and the beach.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dawn S

Thank you for sharing your Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort experience. For a family vacation, you've certainly picked the right place. It was our pleasure to provide you with a comfortable place to relax. I am delighted to hear that your accommodations at Morning Star worked out well. It will make Colin and Tina’s day to be recognized for their efforts. Happy New Year!