Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
$179
$139
Windward Passage Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
$174
  • Pool
Mafolie Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
$231
$224
Emerald Beach Resort(Charlotte Amalie)
$290
$215
Travelocity
$145
  • Pool
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove(Charlotte Amalie)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Island Beachcomber Hotel(Charlotte Amalie)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
4,423 results
All reviewsmorning starfrenchman's reefaqua terracoco joesthe main hotelharbor wingsunset grillrum barswim up baradventure centermain poolsea cliffinfinity poolnight kayakinggarden viewst thomastennis courts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed November 18, 2013

We have just returned from a very relaxing week. The hotel is quit large and in need of some more renovations. This hotel is beachfront and with that it decays quickly, hard to keep up with. If they want to maintain there prices they will need to address this. While we were there we stayed at the Morning Star which is right on the beach. If you want beach access and some seclusion this is where you want to stay. If you want busy with more connivances stay at the Frenchman's Reef. It is a hike either way to the other hotel although there is a free shuttle. They also offer a water taxi into town and back at $7.00 a person one way, which in my opinion should be free. Getting around is also easy, there are taxis standing by at the hotel. Beware if you want to go to a nice restaurant in town or some where else off property be prepared to add into your cost a round trip taxi ride of about $20.00 per person. Sort of takes away the interest in leaving the hotel, maybe that is what they had in mind. I would definitely recommend taking the Ferry to St. Johns, that is fairly inexpensive, but remember you need a taxi to get there too..... One last thing a taxi to and from the airport will also cost you extra for your bags to ride with you, unbelievable but true.
All and all this was a very relaxing trip, almost too relaxing for a couple of work aholicics likes us!

Room Tip: for a quieter room request a top floor.
1  Thank Berry112008
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed a relaxing week at our hotel! You deserved it. We’re in the process of updates to several parts of the property and look forward to showing those to you on your next trip here. Before you make all your plans, feel free to call our pre-arrival team (or you can email) so we can go over all your transportation options for St. Thomas and the nearby islands. Have a great holiday season and we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We arrived to the Frenchman's reef resort on a thursday evening (this was our second trip).. my fiance and I were there for 9 days to get married and spend our honeymoon there, we also had a group of about 20 with us.
First impression was just as I remembered, the views are absolutely beautiful. Check in went rather quickly until the women at the front desk told me that we were in the harbor wing (we had booked for a water view room with an upgrade at time of booking since we are rewards members) I had no clue what the harbor wing was so I took the room, as we approached it I realized that this building was very run down and had an odor, not exactly the environment you want on your honeymoon, so we traveled back to the desk and Dijon who I believe is a manager got us a new room on the 8th floor and treated us so well! Our new room was absolutely perfect and exactly what I had imagined we had a wonderful view of the harbor and the new decor in the rooms was great. The room was always clean and kept tidy.
We spent the rest of our trip relaxing with family and friends we dined at every restaurant at the resort and our favorite by far is coco joe's. We enjoy the laid back atmosphere and you seem to get the most for your money there. We also held a welcome get together at the rhum bar and the bartender that night was wonderful (I wish I knew her name) She was very accommodating of all of our guests.
The resort is rather spread our but we are quite laid back and enjoy walking around and seeing everything the hotel has to offer, for those who do not enjoy the walk you can use the shuttle which runs very frequently.
The morning star beach is beautiful but definitely not the best beach in the virgin islands, we traveled out of the resort multiple times to visit other beaches and other islands. If you are visiting st. thomas I definitely recommend exploring the whole island while you are there.
All in all we had a great wedding and honeymoon, everyone at the resort from the people at the towel desk, to the housekeepers to bellman are wonderful, friendly, and helpful. We are already planning our next trip back for our first anniversary. Thank you to all at the marriott for a great stay! See you soon!

Room Tip: Go for a room with a view, you will be pleased. Avoid the Harbor wing.
1  Thank Abbi0616
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

You are most welcome! We are honored you chose Frenchman’s Reef for your very special occasion and delighted the stay was a success from start to finish. Don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you (or anyone in your group) ever need assistance in the future. We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guests!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We booked a King Size Beach Front quiet room and when we got there they only had first floor, beach view available. (seriously, we were there in November. The place was a ghost town.) Not exactly what we paid for and they would not offer any compensation for that. Ok, we were going to have a good time anyway. Our room was not quiet. First, we were right off the veranda where weddings/parties were held and our view became looking at kitchen equipment right outside our room. Also, our ice maker did not work. They came to look at it and said it needed replaced the first day, but never came back. Then there is a water pump outside every building (our was right outside our room/patio) that was incorrectly designed (per the property engineer that came to fix the busted water pipe) so it kicks on every 18-60 secs. This wouldn't be bad except it was super loud while running then there was a huge BANG when it kicked off and the valve shut. It was so load it rattled the walls and bed. Not great for sleep or a relaxing morning on the patio. Lastly, all of the cruise ships bring their passengers to the Morning star beach because it is close. So go to the beach early or you are overrun with cruise passengers trying to grab a chair. Overall, the rooms were clean and it was convenient to other attractions we wanted to visit. However, we will stay elsewhere our next trip.

Room Tip: Make sure you call and talk to them about being on a upper floor and get it writing although that did not help us. Also mention you don't want to be by water pumps.
2  Thank Amber S

I am sorry to hear your stay with us was dampened by the dissatisfaction you felt with your room. We would like to investigate your experience in more detail to explore ways our front desk can be more pro-active in identifying and meeting the individual needs of each guest. Our highest aim is to provide a clean, comfortable accommodation to call home while visiting our beautiful island. While we have recently completed updating the rooms at Morning Star Beach Resort, it sounds as if there are some repairs needed in the room you stayed. If you would be so kind, please send us an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. We look forward to being in direct contact with you. If you should decide to return to St. Thomas, I am confident our team can find the perfect room to accommodate all your preferences. Thank you again.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

Just returned from 5 nights at this property. I just have to start this review by mentioning that we are Destination Points owners as well as Platinum Elite rewards members. We chose to use our rewards points and stay at the hotel for this trip. Wow!!! In my opinion this property is gorgeous. The views of St. Thomas are amazing. We were in the Cliff View Bldg, which is right in the middle of the high rise tower and the lower Morningstar Beach Resort. When I return to this property I will probably request a room in this same area, we liked being right in the middle of the main pools which overlooked downtown Charlotte Amalie, and the lower Morningstar bldgs. where the beach is. The property seems large, but once you learn where everything is we found it very easy to navigate. When going to the beach there are pretty many steps, which we had no problem with. But if someone is unable to do steps, they have a shuttle that will take you anywhere on the property, even down to the beach via a back road. We met another couple staying down in the Morningstar bldgs. They loved it down there also. Anytime they wanted to come up to the lobby area or main pools, they did take the shuttle and said there was always one available.

The pools up above by the main tower, had beautiful sunset views. We went there every evening for drinks and to watch the sunset. Was also a great spot to watch the cruise ships as they left St. Thomas at the end of the day. One pool was infinity and one had a ledge, but similar to an infinity, both with great views. There were several locations that had hot water spas overlooking the water. Spent one evening in one with a glass of wine and my husband and I were the only ones there, felt like we were in our own hot tub right on the beach.

We found most of the restaurants on the property to be very good. We also purchased a few items from the Market to have in our rooms between meals, such as fresh fruit and nuts. The market also had sandwiches, smoothies, and pastries, as well as many other food options.

Havana Blue restaurant was excellent but a little pricey, but would defiantly eat here again, it was probably the best dinner we had while in St. Thomas. It is located on the Marriott property, but is privately owned and therefore you cannot charge it to your room, you must pay cash or credit card. Havana Blue had beautiful sunset views also.

We did have one issue at the Sunset grill Restaurant on property one evening, Earlier in the day we made reservations, and even at the time I made them I could see there were no other names for the time we requested. We went up to the Host to let him know we were there a few minutes before our reservation time. He told us they were setting our table right now and it would be just one minute, that we could go to the bar to get a drink, which we did. After about 15 minutes we looked over and could see the table was still not set but they were clearing other tables. We thought, he was just waiting for a table with a better view to become available and we were just fine with that. Waited a while longer and he came to bar and got another couple for one of the tables, well, ok we will be next we were there before all the other couples. Nope a few minutes later he comes to get a foursome for a waterfront table. We kind of gave him a "what's up" and he signaled it would just be a few more minutes. We waited another 5 minutes then saw him completely leave the area, still without setting the table he originally told us 30 minutes previously he would be setting for us. We decided it was time to leave and chose another restaurant on the property. I only wanted to mention that this happened but really do not want it to appear as if this is a bad review. I honestly think the gentleman was very busy and just lost track of who was there first (with reservations). He is human and I believe he just made an error. We spoke with another couple who really enjoyed dining there. Everything else about our stay here was so perfect and customer service everywhere else was what I expect and have always received from a Marriott property.

The beach here was perfect. I have seen pictures, and heard you had to take an elevator or steps to the beach, and was unsure this was a property I was going to like. But, I fell in love with the beach, we never had a problem finding chairs or an umbrella. The restaurant Coco Joes, is right on the beach, with a great lunch menu. It looked like they had a good dinner menu also, but we never ate dinner there.

I cannot wait to to return to this property.

2  Thank ridgetraveller

Thank you for the lovely photos and excellent review. We are thrilled to hear your stay with us was perfect other than your experience at the Sunset Grill (which we have taken notice of). We also look forward to that return trip! Don’t hesitate to reach out to me if I can ever be of assistance.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

This hotel has gorgeous views and in a great location, but has terrible service including the manager we met (Joe Kim) and most of the staff which we found to be very arrogant and not helpful. We have been Marriott members for a long time and never had such a bad experience at one of their hotels. I would suggest looking at other properties on St Thomas including the Ritz or the Renaissance if you want to stay within the Marriott properties, but do not waste your time or money here. It’s a shame because with the right culture at this hotel, it could be great.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Markmmp

Please accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort you experienced while with us. I can assure you this is not the norm as can be seen by the increasingly improved review scores for service. If there is anything further you would like to discuss with our resort leadership team that was not resolved during your visit, please feel free to contact me at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. On the bright side, we are happy to hear your enjoyment of the views and location were not deterred by your experience. We look forward to hearing from you.