Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Beautiful Hotel and Awesome Stay!”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I've stayed at the Marriott Frenchman Reef several times, for both business and pleasure. The property is georgeous, with several different bars and restaurants with great views of the ocean, cruise ships and one restaurant, Coco Joe's, is actually on the beach. The bartenders are top notch and and staff is friendly and professional , most going out of their way to help. The rooms are clean, some have been recently renovated. We were were also glad to have found the boats that leave from the dock at the Adventure Center to take you into town and back during the day - a nice alternative to taking taxis and the Captains were very entertaining. Scott and the staff at the Adventure Centure were also extremely friendly and offered great tips to make the most of your vacation, including helping you out with rentals for fun on the water. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Main hotel - just make sure you get a view of the ocean with a balcony!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you for being a loyal guest! We are pleased to hear you found the resort conducive to pleasure as well as vacation. We sincerely enjoy having you stay with us and look forward to many future successful stays!

There are newer reviews for Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Reviewed May 31, 2013

I stayed at the Frenchman Reef hotel in late May. My cousin got married in St. John and we all decided to stay here because there is more to do. Driving through the town from the airport to the hotel can be a bit hectic but when you arrive at the hotel all your worries just disappear. You arrive to smiles and offers of free rum from the staff, who quickly remove your bags and get you signed in. The whole time we were there you would never have known how many people are actually staying at the resort because of the size and spread out nature of it. Always ask for Robert, he is the front desk manager and does a remarkable job dealing with issues that may arise. Our bellman Christopher who worked almost the entire time we stayed was an absolute delight. He never hesitated to help with anything or go above and beyond what he is supposed to do. The room we had at the morning star was gorgeous, we could leave the door open at night and listen to the waves and wake up the next morning and sit on the balcony drinking fresh coffee looking at the ocean. The shuttles were always prompt and every morning during my walk I would see the landscaping crews going around with power washers and brooms cleaning all the walk ways and public spaces. The food was amazing, and not all that expensive, for what you are getting. The best deal in the hotel is the aqua terra breakfast buffet, keeps you nice and full for a good portion of the day.

Room Tip: Rooms in the morning star are the best if you want a quiet ocean view and less people around.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the lovely comments! Hearing descriptions of the calming sounds of waves at Morning Star Beach Resort always brings a smile to my face. We receive many comments describing how rejuvenating the Caribbean Sea is. Also appreciated are your compliments of Robert and Christopher, highlighting their exceptional service. We recognize that it is our team that makes the resort great. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me through the hotel if I can assist you in any way. Thank you again!

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Great property, beautiful view and friendly staff. We were there for one night before boarding a sailing catamaran. I would love to go back and spend more time! The choices of dining venues were great. All the staff was happy and made every effort to give fantastic service.

Room Tip: Ask for a ocean view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your rave review of our service and restaurants! We know you will come back and stay again and we sincerely look forward to getting to know you. Look for specials here on TripAdvisor throughout the year!

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott Frenchman Reef memorial day weekend. My sister got married on Sunday. The hotel is breathtaking. It is a resort. When you drive up, there is a beautiful fountain, free rum punch that I definitely recommend and friendly staff. My room was very clean and my bathroom was very spacious. The staff was extremely friendly and got cabs for me very quickly when I needed to go downtown. My only complaint is that the food is very expensive!!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for the many compliments! We are delighted to hear how welcomed you felt at your arrival and throughout your stay. Congratulations to your sister and her husband! We hope another special occasion brings you to Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was a very nice hotel, the food costs were what we found to be quite expensive but the quality was good. Drinks were also a little pricey. Very nice clean rooms and the building was well kept. The beach was nice but was wayyyyyyyyyy down the hill, a long walk or elevator ride down. There were suites by the Marriott that were down along the beach. It was a few minute cab (van) ride into Charlotte Amalie at $5 each person each way I believe it was which did add up as were a group of many people for a wedding. The wedding was awsome put on by the hotel. It was nice to get out and see the island and I highly recommend St. John island which is an inexpensive public fairy ride over. There are some great beaches on both islands.

Kevin M.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I'm writing this review while still at the hotel with my family, including 18 month old. Here are my observations :

- Courteous and helpful staff. I asked a gentleman cleaning out the bins where I could find towels by the pool, expecting him to point me in the general direction, but he walked with me all the way around, and pointed to the container they were in.

- We've travelled to other Caribbean islands and have noticed many people living on "Island time" - a synonym for slow bleep service, but haven't found that to be the case in St Thomas.

-Hotel food is pretty expensive, paid $24 for a breakfast buffet this morning, quite a nice selection but not worth the money.

- Were staying in the Harbour area, quite a walk from the lobby and even further from the beach, I think the Morningstar rooms are right by the beach for people wanting to walk less.

- Beach and pools are kept very clean, no life guards at either.

- Our room is nice and spacious, has loud birds outside so light sleepers may want to beware.

- We've rented a car, but parking can sometimes be difficult to find, and when you do, the space can be TIGHT! Have someone with you outside to guide you into the spot.

- Driving is on the left, roads are well maintained, speed limit is around 20-30 mph, roads are pretty winding and bumpy. However there are a lack of road signs in this Island, you can't really anticipate which road is coming up so navigation can be tough, but the island is small so you can correct your path pretty easily.

-shopping at Havensight is busy with the cruise ship passengers in town, I don't think the shops around that area are open without any ships expected, same with butterfly farm.

- Butterfly farm, not as big as I expected but I think I was a bit naive, I was expecting lush open air gardens with butterflies all over the place. It's an enclosed area, not very big, saw some nice blue butterflies, but my toddler was interested in a small fish pond they had. A nice lady behind the counter gave us coupons for Coral world and said we could visit the farm again for free before we left.

- Wanted to go to the Sea Trek thing at Coral world but its under renovation until 10th June.

- Airport isn't air-conditioned and doesn't seem to have doors. Not really much else to say on that, except I was a bit surprised.

It's a lovely place to visit with sweet locals always ready to help out-my husband lost his wallet in the rain and went back to find it, when a man came to him carrying it in a towel. Lovely beaches, just wish some of the restaurants were opened later and more things were catered to tourist visiting the island, not just cruise ship passengers.

Hope this review helps someone :)

Room Tip: Harbour rooms are far from everything except the car park.
1  Thank NamOde
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for staying with us! I am pleased to hear your stay is going well and you are finding friendliness across the island. If you need additional sightseeing information, be sure to contact our concierge. They can also offer off-site dining and additional shopping information. They can also make reservations for the excursions that pick up at the resort. I am sure your review will be very helpful for guests planning travel and we thank you for sharing!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel has a gorgeous location. Also great for watching the ships enter / exit the port.

We stayed in the Seacliff tower. Room was fine for the most part (tub drained extremely slow), but nothing special - other than we really enjoyed the balcony. Hallways and other public areas seem to have seen quite a bit of abuse - lots of dents, scratches, etc. Also, we called the front desk on the first day about the slow drain - but was not addressed during our week stay. Also, we ran out of toilet paper twice during the week. The normal housekeeping staff did not seem to have access to this basic necessity, as we asked.

The Sunset grill and infinity pool area are wonderful. Breakfast staff were quite nice. Reception area very understaffed though.

Yes, the food is expensive - but not out of line with what we experienced elsewhere on the island.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your compliments and important feedback. I apologize for any inconvenience your drain and housekeeping issue caused. We would like to investigate this thoroughly. Can you please send me an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com so that our leadership team can be in direct contact with you? I would welcome any additional details you are willing to share regarding your room experience as well. I am thankful that your overall stay was not impacted and you enjoyed the Sunset Grill, infinity pools and service staff. I look forward to hearing from you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Sugar Bay Resort & Spa
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!