I visited this resort on St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands this week. I have a lot to say, some of it good, much of it not.
Arrived to find the reservations made by Marriott Hotels & Reservations was incorrect. There were no reservations for our stay of 6 nights. After considerable discussion the Reservations Manager agreed to allow us to stay three nights, but I would have to check back for the other three nights on Thursday, having arrived on Tuesday. However, they would check and call us with a a room or a reservation in another hotel. Thursday came and no phone call was received from Reservations. I contacted them and was told straight out that there were no rooms available and that no matter what I was told no one was going to call me. At that time, I went back to my room, changed flights and flew back to the United States. So much for good service and even attempting to follow thru.
Now to the three day stay:
No explanation of the resort, resort services or transportation options were reviewed or discussed by anyone. It was on the second evening that we found a very nice Marriott Vacations sales person who explained that there was ferry service from the resort to downtown. This would have been a great option to the taxi service. I had asked for information at the concierge but was told they were there to book tours and they could not help me.
The building our room was located was really old, it has been updated somewhat, but the lobby had a strange odor, not overpowering, but nonetheless bothersome. The elevators were old, not well maintained, very slow and the stainless steel walls had fingerprints all over it which did not change from day to day.
Our room had an updated bathroom, and an incredible view, but was at best average in quality. The internet service in our room was intermittent at best. The signal was weak and most often offline.
The beach was beautiful, the lounge chairs well maintained and the pool clean and nice. Be warned, this isn't a smoke free area.
Restaurants: Coco Joe's was awesome, good food, good drinks, great breakfast buffet and wonderful wait staff. There were two waitresses who went out of their way to make us feel very special. The Seaside Grill was less friendly. We arrived 10 minutes before it opened for dinner, one waitress was very nice and offered to sit us in the area which was already open. However, another waitress simply told us "NO". I would have understood if they had just asked us to wait until it was open, since we didn't understand until later why we weren't seated, but to just say "NO" in a very rude manner and turn away is not the kind of customer service either I or Marriott should expect.
Fitness Center: Outstanding! Clean, lots of equipment, towels and other amenities.
Overall much has been said about the renovations made by this resort. Indeed they have been. The lobby is pretty, the patio(s) beautiful. However, the attitude of the supervisory team took away this beauty and made it a resort to which I will never return.
By the way, I am a Silver Elite Marriott traveler so I have stayed at many domestic and international Marriott resorts. This may be my last.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded on three sides by stunning Caribbean ocean views, Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort combines modern luxury and the unique Virgin Island style of St. Thomas. Our US Virgin Islands hotel in St. Thomas features clean, crisp large guest rooms with flat screen 50" TVs. Experience new resort features including an infinity pool, children's splash zone, adult infinity pool with bar; and private spa pool. Our Lazule Sea Spa is now open featuring extensive treatment rooms, salon, state of the art fitness center, and private spa pool with cabanas. Aqua Terra is one of three restaurants at Frenchman's Reef which features spectacular views of the Charlotte Amalie harbor. Our mission is to host you brilliantly... To make your every event and stay with us unforgettable and effortless. Come visit us at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort and discover the most luxurious vacation destination in the US Virgin Islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Kognitiv US Corp, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Frenchman`s Reef & Morning Star Beach Hotel Charlotte Amalie
- Marriott Frenchman`s Reef And Morning Star Beach Resort
- Marriott Charlotte Amalie
- Charlotte Amalie Marriott
- Marriott Frenchmans Reef
- Frenchmans Reef St Thomas
- Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands