Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Decent Resort”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed at this resort on our way through St Thomas to the BVI. When we first arrived we thought that it was a beautiful resort - great views, nice staff, etc. We were upgraded to an ocean front room in the Frenchman's reef building overlooking the tennis courts. The view was great, and while the room and building were a bit outdated, we had a great night.

We paid in points, so it was perfectly fine for us, but we spent the greater part of our vacation on scrub island in the BVIs, and it was far superior to this resort. We also talked to someone else that mentioned this resort was @ $500 a night, so I can see why many people are disappointed in the reviews. For a bit more, you can stay at a resort that is far superior. Scrub Island is only a ferry ride away and definitely a better spend.

Also, we had the buffet breakfast, and at $25 a person it is definitely not worth it.

Also - the ferry ride down town was only $7 per person, cheaper than a taxi and worth it!!

Room Tip: morning star on the beach looks nice but we didnt stay there.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MoRad123
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear your first impression of Frenchman’s Reef was one of beauty, with a welcoming staff. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and sharing your satisfaction with the second leg of your Virgin Island vacation!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,533)
Charlotte
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and son (20 months old) and I stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Reef Beach Resort in mid-August. We had a great time at the hotel and the beach, and enjoyed the pool and the food. We stayed on the hotel grounds for all of our meals.

In late September, my wife was sick with fatigue, fever, dark urine and loss of appetite. After a couple of weeks, it was confirmed by her Doctor that she had contracted Hepatitis A. It took my wife 4 months to get better. Hopefully, now that she will remain so and there will be no long term ill effects from her sickness.

This website highlights that the symptoms usually take 2-6 weeks to show up. My wife’s symptoms started 5 weeks after the weekend we were in St. Thomas.
This is the Mayo Clinic website on the disease.

Thankfully, our young son has received the vaccine for Hepatitis A in June 2012, and is unlikely to contract the disease. From a recommendation by the local Health Department official, both our nanny and myself have received vaccinations. In the opinion of the local Health Department official, my wife’s case of Hepatitis A was most likely contracted in St. Thomas, as we have been in North Carolina during the month of August and September. There have been no reported outbreaks of Hepatitis A in all of North Carolina during the summer.

We reached out to the Marriott, and they admitted that this is a problem that occurs on the island. After a long investigation - they concluded that we did not contract this at the Marriott - even though we ate all of our meals there. I was not happy with the way they informed us of the investigation as they were unable to release any of their findings. Just denied that it was their problem - a big change from when we first reached out to them.

We have visited St. Thomas before and have visited St. John’s on multiple occasions, and never had any issues. In my opinion, my wife most likely contracted the disease through contact with food during one of our many meals at the Marriott.

Please note that St. Thomas is not as developed as it appears to many tourists. The murder rate is high, but for the most part, this does not involve any tourists.

I advise you to please stay at the Ritz if you are looking to go to St. Thomas. Also, would recommend getting Hepatitis A vaccination prior to visiting any island outside of the US.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Bill_Ver
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Thank you for your review and I am happy to hear your wife is feeling better. The safety and security of our guests are top priority at Marriott. I apologize for your dissatisfaction with the way we communicated with you regarding the results of our investigation. If there is anything further I can assist you with, feel free to reach out to me personally at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com.
Kensington, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

We love this HOTEL but hotel is the key word. Got stuck in the sea view wing, not well kept, room smelled musty, housekeeping was poor, the bed squeaked when you turned over at night, laundry room was across the hall. It was horrible! But the next morning the staff member was wonderful moved us to a beautiful room in the hotel with a sea view and credited our room for the night before. Props to Tiesha for taking good care of us. We loved the rest of our stay! The only thing is they have didn't have ANY kids activities when we were there! If you aren't going during high season, be sure to check first if you're hoping to have some quality time with your spouse at the pool or the beach! Overall, the hotel made right by us but it had the potential initially of being a train wreck! Ask for the main hotel, trust us!

Room Tip: Stay in the Main Hotel!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank 4fromNH
Thank you for your feedback. I am relieved to hear Tiesha accommodated your room move request and the rest of your stay was great. Also, thank you for mentioning kids activities. We do offer activities all year round so be sure to call our pre-arrival team or concierge for current amenities and activities information. We hope you will join us again soon!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

This hotel was remarkable and has it all! The Ocean View rooms are amazing with beautiful full panoramic views. The hotel itself is set up very well in that everything is close to get to and you are not walking for miles to get to another section of the hotel.

Location: Located in between Charlotte Amalie and Red Hook. Red Hook is were you will be taking the ferry or excursions out to St. John. Staying at the Marriott over hotels closer to Red Hook is well worth the short drive. It is the perfect location!

Rooms: The rooms are beautiful! The air conditioning works great and keeps the room at most times freezing if you want it that way. The rooms are also humidity free and very well insulated. There is no sticky, humid feeling in your room that you get from some island resorts.

Restaurants/Bars: I would suggest that if you make the mistake of NOT staying at the Marriott that you stop by just to experience the bars. Most of the bars are outside and have some covered areas. The Sunset Grill overlooks the ocean and has an awesome band everynight. The pool bars are amazing and the infinity pool is where the fun is!

The Rumbar overlooks Charlotte Amalie Harbor and has amazing views day and night. You can sit inside or outside. This was the most romantic and still cozy places we visited while in St Thomas. The bartenders here are true mixologists and can make anything you want - if you are getting tired of Rum Punch and Painkillers this is THE PLACE to go.

Coco Joes is located directly on the beach and serves up awesome food day and night. There lobster and prime rib buffet is great! The beach is beautiful and one of the top rated beaches on the island.

The Marketplace: The hotel offers a market that serves up late night snacks and any kind of alcohol you might want to take with you to your room or to enjoy out on one of the decks of the hotel. Once the Rumbar closes you can take your own bottle of wine, bottle of booze, beer, etc and gaze at the stars for as long as you wish!

Parking: This may not seem important, however, after staying at other St Thomas resorts and having to park miles away from the hotel and be shuttled in, the Marriott parking set up is the best. There is parking directly in front of the hotel and if those spots are taken the parking garage overlooking the ocean is only a short walk through an inside hallway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sherrie C
Thank you for calling Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Resort “the place” to stay on St. Thomas! We really appreciate your highest compliment as well as the descriptions of rooms and amenities offered. I am delighted you enjoyed the bars and will pass along your positive feedback to our bartenders. Also, thank you for the mention of how convenient it is to park at the hotel for those who rent a car while on the island. We look forward to having you as our guest again!
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

The accommodation itself is actually very good. The rooms are very spacious and modern with all modern conveniences. The problem with this hotel is the food - it's awful. The breakfast buffet was assembled from ingredients of a lower quality. I had an omelet one morning which was really greasy and unappetizing.

Everything in the resort is expensive from the moment you arrive. The cost of the taxi from the airport to the hotel is charged on a per person and per suitcase basis! Whenever you take a taxi from A to B, you get charged per person and they're not cheap, so the costs soon add up such that you would do much better in the long run to rent a car from day 1 - they're actually quite cheap in this part of the world.

The dining options are extremely limited if you want anything other than fast food from the hotel. We live in New York City, so we like our food. On the hotel premisis, there was only one place that was acceptable to dine at "The Havana Blue" restaurant - it's easy to get to, the food is lovely, but it is very expensive (New York City prices).

The private beach of the hotel is very pleasant. We wouldn't go back to this place ever again as there are better places to go that offer better value without being so remote to the island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MLK K
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I am glad you felt comfortable in your room and enjoyed Morning Star Beach. Overall, it sounds like St. Thomas is not your cup of tea though. Please let me know if there is anything further I can assist with regarding your recent visit. And if you should decide to come to the island again, please feel free to reach out to me. Our leadership team can then manage your stay and assist you with dining options.
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

As Marriott Platinum members we stay at a lot of Marriott hotels. This one just underwent a forty million dollar renovation but it needs more. The location is outstanding. The front desk staff and bell staff were wonderful. Food and beverage staff leave something to be desired. Namely attention and sense of urgency. The non hotel owned Havana Blue is by far the best choice if dining on property. Food and service there was excellent. The other choices were slow and the food mediocre at best. A couple of staff members with brooms and paint brushes would go a long way to making the place look and feel better. Some training for wait staff is needed also. We stay frequently at the Marriott on Marco Island in Florida and there is absolutely no comparison between these two. On the plus side, they have a water taxi service to down town which is very good and $ 18 round trip so it's less expensive than taking a taxi. The night kayaking is great. No parasailing available but they have the new jet ski jet pack thing which is pretty cool.

Room Tip: Don't bank on an upgrade if you are a Gold or Platinum member. Book and pay for the room you wa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Newmoon7561
Christiansted, St. Croix
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have stayed at the Frenchman’s Reef about once a year for business and or pleasure. This last experience was awful. I don’t know if management has changed or what but things have gone downhill.

1) I walk into my room and there was feces under the toilet and a pool of water leaking in from the balcony.

2) I use to live on St Thomas and have lived in the Virgin Islands for over 15 years but I had to ask a quick question to the concierge to just refresh my memory. The girl was very rude. In the conversation she was very negative and basically implied that I don’t know what I was talking about in regards to the island, I later discovered that I was right (she was wrong).

3) I made a purchase at the deli / snack store and the cashier pocketed the money, how do I know? I paid cash and I watched her set it to the side as she acted too busy to put it in the drawer. After going back to my room I realized that I need the receipt for my expenses. The cashier pretended to look for her copy of the receipt to give to me then once she didn’t find it (because it didn’t exist) she rang in the purchase, I’m sure she waited until I left to put the money in the drawer so it didn’t come up short.

There used to be a time when I praised the staff at the Frenchman’s Reef, let's hope that this was a one time thing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Erik H
I am very disheartened to hear of your most recent experience with us. Your satisfaction is very important and we would like to be in direct contact with you to investigate the issues outlined. These are unacceptable and in no way reflect our mission of creating a warm and responsive hospitality experience. If you are willing to share more details of your stay, please send me an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. I really appreciate it and look forward to personally assisting you on your next stay at Frenchman’s Reef.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,628 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!