Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Average”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The accommodation itself is actually very good. The rooms are very spacious and modern with all modern conveniences. The problem with this hotel is the food - it's awful. The breakfast buffet was assembled from ingredients of a lower quality. I had an omelet one morning which was really greasy and unappetizing.

Everything in the resort is expensive from the moment you arrive. The cost of the taxi from the airport to the hotel is charged on a per person and per suitcase basis! Whenever you take a taxi from A to B, you get charged per person and they're not cheap, so the costs soon add up such that you would do much better in the long run to rent a car from day 1 - they're actually quite cheap in this part of the world.

The dining options are extremely limited if you want anything other than fast food from the hotel. We live in New York City, so we like our food. On the hotel premisis, there was only one place that was acceptable to dine at "The Havana Blue" restaurant - it's easy to get to, the food is lovely, but it is very expensive (New York City prices).

The private beach of the hotel is very pleasant. We wouldn't go back to this place ever again as there are better places to go that offer better value without being so remote to the island.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MLK K
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I am glad you felt comfortable in your room and enjoyed Morning Star Beach. Overall, it sounds like St. Thomas is not your cup of tea though. Please let me know if there is anything further I can assist with regarding your recent visit. And if you should decide to come to the island again, please feel free to reach out to me. Our leadership team can then manage your stay and assist you with dining options.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,551)
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
Reviewed March 2, 2013

As Marriott Platinum members we stay at a lot of Marriott hotels. This one just underwent a forty million dollar renovation but it needs more. The location is outstanding. The front desk staff and bell staff were wonderful. Food and beverage staff leave something to be desired. Namely attention and sense of urgency. The non hotel owned Havana Blue is by far the best choice if dining on property. Food and service there was excellent. The other choices were slow and the food mediocre at best. A couple of staff members with brooms and paint brushes would go a long way to making the place look and feel better. Some training for wait staff is needed also. We stay frequently at the Marriott on Marco Island in Florida and there is absolutely no comparison between these two. On the plus side, they have a water taxi service to down town which is very good and $ 18 round trip so it's less expensive than taking a taxi. The night kayaking is great. No parasailing available but they have the new jet ski jet pack thing which is pretty cool.

Room Tip: Don't bank on an upgrade if you are a Gold or Platinum member. Book and pay for the room you wa...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Newmoon7561
Christiansted, St. Croix
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I have stayed at the Frenchman’s Reef about once a year for business and or pleasure. This last experience was awful. I don’t know if management has changed or what but things have gone downhill.

1) I walk into my room and there was feces under the toilet and a pool of water leaking in from the balcony.

2) I use to live on St Thomas and have lived in the Virgin Islands for over 15 years but I had to ask a quick question to the concierge to just refresh my memory. The girl was very rude. In the conversation she was very negative and basically implied that I don’t know what I was talking about in regards to the island, I later discovered that I was right (she was wrong).

3) I made a purchase at the deli / snack store and the cashier pocketed the money, how do I know? I paid cash and I watched her set it to the side as she acted too busy to put it in the drawer. After going back to my room I realized that I need the receipt for my expenses. The cashier pretended to look for her copy of the receipt to give to me then once she didn’t find it (because it didn’t exist) she rang in the purchase, I’m sure she waited until I left to put the money in the drawer so it didn’t come up short.

There used to be a time when I praised the staff at the Frenchman’s Reef, let's hope that this was a one time thing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Erik H
I am very disheartened to hear of your most recent experience with us. Your satisfaction is very important and we would like to be in direct contact with you to investigate the issues outlined. These are unacceptable and in no way reflect our mission of creating a warm and responsive hospitality experience. If you are willing to share more details of your stay, please send me an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. I really appreciate it and look forward to personally assisting you on your next stay at Frenchman’s Reef.
Reviewed March 2, 2013

The Morningstar staff is sways very friendly . Our favorite waitress Geneth Harris at Coco Joe's, greats us as old friends. The remodeling was also done very well. As this was our 10th trip to this hotel we can attest to the consistency of the service.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Ed66andjanice
Thank you so much for your loyalty to Marriott! We will pass along your compliment to Geneth and sincerely appreciate the mention. It is very rewarding to hear of your continued satisfaction with our service. It is a pleasure having you!
Westminster, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 1, 2013

stayed at the frenchmans reef mid February. We went on a family vaction with our 14 year old son and 17 year old daughter. The waves at the beach were amazing..Our son did alot of body surfing. My daughter and I enjoyed reading at the pool adjacent the beach on very comfy padded lounge chairs.All of the staff at the hotel, restaurants were very friendly. Food was very good, well worth the cost.Loved Coco Joes and Sunset Grill. Frozen drinks for the kids as well as adult drinks were delicious. Grabbed salad and sandwiches one night from the little store on site and ate dinner on our balcony overlooking the beach. Took alot of pics of the resident iguanas which were awesome! Be sure to sit and enjoy the balcony at the Rum Bar at least one night. A truly magical view. The only downside of hotel would be all the stairs to and from the beach and limited lounge chairs at the main infinity pools. Would recommend this hotel to families and couples. It is very spread out with lots of area to explore.

Room Tip: sea cliff rooms had a wonderful view of the ocean and people going to and from the beach. You could...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lori C
Thank you for recommending Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort for families and couples! It sounds like your kids had a lot of fun at the beach and you enjoyed all our restaurants!
louisville, ky
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have stayed many times throughout the years in both the main Frenchman's area and on the beach in the Morning Star area. To be fair, the hotel is quite close to the cruise ports and the airport making quick jaunts to the ships or early flights out of STT very easy- it enjoys faster and less expensive cab fares, which are not insignificant in St. Thomas. The staff are generally very friendly and are fairly expedient in helping you, albeit by island standards only. I get the feeling they are exposed to a lot of rude travelers (northerners by the clipped/demanding accents? -please forgive me if you're a polite 'northerner'? I might be offending) because once you treat them with sincere respect, they seem to appreciate your effort and are willing to exert more effort in return. This is a concept lost on the rude/demanding people. Please excuse the diatribe.
The grounds are for the most part well kept and attractive. The lounge area of Frenchman's overlooking the harbor lights is especially beautiful. The beach (Morning Star) while not breathtaking is safe, clean, not overly crowded and pretty to enjoy.
The restaurant on the beach has an outstanding atmosphere of sophistication that we love, and the food is usually very good. Yes, they might commit a serving faux pas or two and the food wouldn't get one much less three Michelin stars, but overall its a worthwhile ISLAND experience. We keep going back.
There ARE some sketchy areas of the hotel (Frenchman's) like the walkway by the rear parking lot (where the access gates are LOCKED) that make you uncomfortable. The one INCH gap between the door top and the frame is less than desirable especially since its usually HOT outside and quite often your fellow travelers are loudly enjoying themselves in the hallways. Far fewer issues on the beach in Morning Star, but more expensive.
Overall, if its high season and the Ritz rates are ridiculous, then we always stay at the Frenchman's and we enjoy it. Period. Otherwise....

Room Tip: Stay high in the tower preferably facing the harbor OR in the Morning Star side.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank nativelouisvillian
Thank you for the describing the benefits and reasons you keep returning to stay at Frenchman’s Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort. I especially find your seasoned comments about our location, compared to other island resorts as being very helpful to community members planning island travel. Also, your considerations regarding service. We are delighted to have met your expectations time and time again! Please do not hesitate to contact me through the resort if there is anything I can personally assist you with. We look forward to your next visit!
Wisconsin
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here to celebrate our wedding anniversary mid Feb...and couldn't have had a nicer time...and a nicer place to stay. The location is fantastic....the staff ...from the housekeepers,maintenance,food servers,store employees...all were extremely friendly and genuinely interested in how we were enjoying our stay. Sarah at the front dest...and Danielle,the customer relations manager,were especially helpful in many ways. As a Marriott Platinum member,I visit many locations every year and would place this one among the very best and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again the next time our travels bring us to the region. I am happy to answer any questions about this location...especially if anyone has concerns about the few negative reviews.....

Stayed February 2013
4 Thank vooten
Happy Anniversary! We appreciate your open willingness to share your experience. We know that as a Platinum Member, you have stayed at a wide variety of hotels and resorts and are grateful to hear your many compliments. Specifically, the friendly service of Sarah and Danielle which will be recognized by our leadership team. We sincerely enjoyed having you as our guest!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 5 in East End
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!