“A Wonderful Stay!”

GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“A Wonderful Stay!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I--veteran cruisers--took one of our first land vacations in nearly 25 years. Frenchman's Reef was a wonderful holiday break. Our waterfront room looked out over where the cruise ships docked for a glorious view and the room itself was clean and spacious. Lunch at Sunset Grill was wonderful, as was Blue Havana and the hotel's sumptuous breakfast buffet with an omelet station, french toast, pancakes and more. Yes, a bit pricy to eat on the property but worth every penny. What really impressed us was the warmth and friendliness of the staff. Reading reviews here, there seemed to be a lot of complaints about the staff and we didn't see a bit of that. We tipped the woman who cleaned our room when we discovered she'd be taking Christmas Eve off...and received A THANK YOU NOTE! So charming.

The $7 boat to Charlotte Amalie was an enormous convenience and the captains of these little shuttles were part captain/part tour guide. While taxi fares are comparable to what's charged for the boat, you can't beat the scenic sail.

One negative (and it didn't really bother us) is that it is a rather sprawling property so it's quite a distance from the beach to the main hotel. Also, the hotel is building a new dock for the sboat to Charlotte Amalie but right now, the dock is at the Cove, so if you opt to walk back to the hotel after shopping, it's a lot of up hill and steps. You can, however, call the shuttle which appears in moment for the ride back.

Another negative is don't even think of using the business center for the internet. Spent about 10 minutes waiting for a connection and never did access my personal or work email. A one-time problem? I think not. Frenchman's Reef allows guests to print their boarding passes for return flights for free. The same non-connect happened then. I phoned for assistance and someone arrived in minutes but she wasn't successful either so, instead, she brought me into their offices to print the boarding passes. Just bypass the business center entirely and go to the wonderful internet cafe down the street from The Greenhouse Bar/Restaurant in Charlotte Amalie. Quick and super cheap!

Room Tip: Go for the waterfront! While we didn't see the rooms that led to to the beach (and I'm not...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Judi C
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Outstanding review! We love to hear when our guests have wonderful experiences with us! Thank you for letting us know that you found Frenchman’s Reef to be a great value! Lastly. I apologize for the internet connection. We will certainly test the WiFi reception in that area and make the necessary updates. I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. Happy New Year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,555)
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

We love this hotel. This was our 4th time back to the hotel. I was excited to see the work that was done on the hotel it was needed.The rooms have all been updated from the bathroom fixtures to the furniture & beds . The feel of the room is very zen like now. we had a great room 1558 on the corner facing the ocean & the pool. I loved watching the ships come in every morning.The pool deck has been changed around not sure that was a great idea, I like the waterfall by the back pool & now that pool can only be used by guest who had a massage, every time I walked by the pool it was empty.The infinity edge of the pool looks really nice but the pool water is FREEZING !!! what's with that ? I love to swim & never got in the pool due to how cold the water was. The food is average with a few choices but expensive, however after being in St. Thomas so many times we know the ins & out of the Island . You MUST rent a car from the airport this gives you the freedom to venture around the Island & eat @ all different places & you don't pay those crazy prices for the taxis. The staff was really nice , the bartenders are a blast . I can go on & on about the Love of the Island but every time we go this is the only place we will stay out. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: corner units in main tower are the best we stayed in 1558
1 Thank Ilovethesun4ever
Thank you for your compliments on our renovations! I appreciate your loyalty and your suggestions for improvement. We are vigilant in our efforts to continually maintain and improve our guests’ experience. Please ask for me personally while you are here or before if I may assist with your stay. Thank you again and happy New Year!
Orlando, Florida, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I had a wonderful stay at the villas on th beach. The villas are very expansive but worth the cost if you like easy access to the beach. Food on site is a little over priced. The cleaning staff was great. The rooms are a good size. I was there 4 days and on my last day, Shina Thomas was the only customer service rep that approach me about how to make my stay better on the island. Was it my race, I don't know, I hope not but before meeting her I saw other reps and was not approached. I missed out on special offers that would have been available to me as a guest at the resort. Also I did not know about all the free activities at the resort that would have made my stay better. So make sure you talk to one of the reps at the villas. That was the only negative experience I had.

Room Tip: If you want to experience staying on the beach book, the beach villa not the hotel room; to get to t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl M
Thank you for sharing your experience. Although I am delighted your stay was all you hoped for, I would like to investigate the issue you brought to my attention. If you would be so kind, please email me directly at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. We want all guests to have access to any special offers and information on property! Thank you again and happy New Year!
Aarhus, Denmark
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a very plesant stay at Marriotts over the Christmas holidays (2012). The rooms were nice and clean, the facilities were great and the staff was service-minded and welcoming. The breakfast buffet was amazing and there were several restaurants at the hotel, catering for different likes and appetites.
We always felt safe and in good hands, and especially the security manager was forthcoming and sincere when making sure we had a good time at the hotel.
We enjoyed having the beach so near, as well as being able to use snorkling equipment etc. for free.
The only downside was having to take taxis whenever we wanted to leave the hotel, as it located just outside of town.

2 Thank LSMadsen
Thank you for your sharing the details of your stay with the TripAdvisor community, specifically the sincerity of the security manager you communicated with. The safety and security of our guests is very important to us and we are glad it shows! Before your next vacation to St. Thomas, feel free to contact our pre-arrival team to explore transportation options. Happy New Year!
Newtown, ct
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We recently stayed at the Marriott Frenchman's Cove and while there I wanted to arrange for my sons to be transported to and from a concert 20 minutes from our resort. I spoke with Shina Thomas at Frenchman's Reef who called a few local cab companies/drivers until she found someone who would pick my boys up at the hotel and guarantee their return. The concert was supposed to be over at 2 am it it went until 4 am. The driver she recommended to us was there for my boys when the concert was done and returned them safely. As a Mom I couldn't be more thankful that she knew exactly who to call and who I could trust.

asbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

I ended up at the Marriott on a beautiful Sunday afternoon due to a work trip and was exhausted from a wild weekend. Within an hour of checking into my room I happened upon a conversation with a friendly guy named Zogisle. He went over the various awesome things to do in the area and by the end of our conversation invited me out to dinner at one of his favourite places on the island. After a brief nap, we met up to head out for dinner and the fuse was lit on what I would later recount as one of my all time favourite work trips turned vacations!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank alex b
Thank you for your specific mention of team member Zogisle’s friendliness. We are happy to hear you were comfortable with us while on the island for business!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

It's just alright. Wayyyyyyy overpriced. You should just rent a house. There's so much more to experience in the Virgin Islands than staying in this boring, expensive resort. I do like how they renovated the rooms. It was desperately needed and makes the rooms more comfortable. But the resort is boring and the beach is a hike away. The restaurants aren't great. The pool is nice.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nyclr
Thank you for your review. I regret that Frenchman’s Reef did not meet your expectations. However, we do appreciate the compliments you were able to give. Happy New Year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,188 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!