Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Guest services amazing. Restaurants average”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 28, 2012

When we arrived we were amazed at how beautiful the property is. Your first stop should be to find Zoguile in guest services. He went above and beyond the call of duty to help all the time. The most helpful person I've ever had in any hotel ever! The restaurant s average and overpriced.

• Stayed: December 2012
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you for your thoughtful mention of Zogisle! We’re glad you enjoyed our beautiful property!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Overall the Resort was Great; Clean Rooms -no mold, spacious; Good Amenities; Great Pools; Great Beach; Beautiful Views; Very Relaxing; close to Charlotte Amalie and Airport.
Downside: your locked in to food, and food is quite expensive.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you for listing the benefits of staying at Frenchman’s Reef such as the beach, rooms and views! These are the reasons we are rated the #2 hotel in Charlotte Amalie. Although we feel our pricing is comparable to other resorts in the area, we are happy to recommend off-site dining options. Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Resort on December 17 - 19th, 2012. We went to celebrate recent accomplishments/milestones, as well as, scout the venue for our destination wedding. We stayed in building 5 (The sea cliff tower) and had a ocean view room. When we made the reservation (via Marriott reservations) we asked for a room on the cliff overlooking the ocean, when we arrived we were given just that, except we realized the main building provided a better view. Realizing the error was our own, we went to the reception desk and explained the situation, Rashawn was awesome! He gave us the opportunity to look at a new room to see if it would better suited our needs. The room was nice but wasn't a far departure from the room we were in so we stayed put. I do however, appreciate Rashawn's ability to satisfy our needs even when we weren't sure what they were. :)

Additionally, I can't say enough about Zogile! He went over and beyond and gave us countless recommendations about the hotel and surrounding area. We just so happen to stop and ask him about a hotel dinner recommendation and left with so much more to make the most of our short trip. If you ever need ANYTHING please see him, he rocks!!

As for the hotel, the room and grounds were relatively clean however, we were reviewing the hotel to suit the needs for a wedding. We liked the idea of guest being able to decide where they wanted to dine given the variety of restaurants and room options. The drawback was that there were cosmetic imperfections at the hotel, for example the elevator in the sea cliff tower had pieces of the wood paneling missing and there were many finger/hand prints smears on the stainless steel. Something that could have easily been fixed but wasn't the entire time we were there. There were small housekeeping issues such as that that I may be able to overlook when I am hanging out with girlfriends, but for a wedding...not so much.

The food: It was pricey and just OK. Nothing to write home about. However, we raved about CoCo Joe's Restaurant which offered a prime rib and lobster buffet ($59pp) the first night we were there. Delicious! I had 4 lobster tails, in fact. :) Oh, and Angela at Aqua Terra was really nice and hospitable when we went there for dinner.

4  Thank ReMal

Thank you for the many compliments! Congratulations to you both and we look forward to providing a tropical and beautiful destination for your wedding. Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 27, 2012

The hotel is very nice, food options are limited. Check in/out was very easy. My complaint regards the staff. I have never encountered such a rude, nasty, even mean hotel staff in my life. I travel for a living, spending nearly 300 days/year in hotels (mostly Marriotts) and I could not believe the treatment my family I received at this one. Example - housekeeper actually left clipped toe nails (not mine) inside the entrance to my room! Disgusting - cannot recommend.

Room Tip: If you want to endure the treatment - make sure you upgrade to and ocean view room.
5  Thank TSBHILL

Thank you for alerting us to the service failures you experienced. We would like to follow up with you. If you would be so kind to send us an email with your reservation information to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com so we can be in direct contact with you. Thank you again for bringing this to our attention.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

Ok, the wife and I stayed at Scrub Island (BVI) last year and decided to stay closer to St. Thomas airport this year to cut down on the ferry rides and taxis. Overall, I'd say that Marriott's Frenchman's Reef and Morningstar Beach Resort is ok, but nothing to write home about. We found ourselves wishing we had booked at the Ritz-Carlton.

First, for those that have not stayed here before, there are three distinct Marriott resorts clustered together: Frenchman's Cove (MGVC - full condo units), Frenchman's Reef, and Morningstar Beach. Of the three, I'd rate the Reef the least desirable. First and foremost, Frenchman's Reef is clearly the oldest of the three properties (followed by Morningstar and then the relatively new Cove). They've done what they can to refurbish the Reef area, but it's still very clear that this resort is old. We stayed in the Sea Cliff wing, but the Harbor wing (adjacent to the Cove and looking out on the same harbor as the Cove) is even older than the Sea Cliff wing. The nicest units at the Reef resort appeared to be the Ocean tower.

First the pros/cons of the Reef units.
Pros
->great view
->mid-way between the main pool area (next to the Ocean tower) and the Morningstar Beach area
->rooms are of decent size and appear to have been updated in the last several years
Cons
->a bit of no mans land . . . between the beach and the pool . . . nothing is really AT the Sea Cliff units
->food at the resort is not very good and over-priced. Please note: we're used to Caribbean food, which typically lags most mainland food in terms of quality and price, but the food at the Marriott main building (both the Sunset Grill and Aqua Terra) was below even Caribbean "average". Interesting enough, the food at the Morningstar restaurant (Coco Joe's) was noticeably better
->only one elevator in the Sea Cliffs tower for what appeared to be 80+ units
->we stayed here during the busiest of the busy season (Christmas week), but the pool lounge chair situation was out of hand . . . not nearly enough lounge chair space for the number of folks staying at the hotel (this was true for the Cove MGVC resort too) -- on top of that, there did not appear to be any "policing" of people saving lounge chairs by putting their towels on them (we got up at 6:30 a.m. on our last day here to go down and save a couple of lounge chairs and many were already taken . . . and remained vacant for *HOURS*)
->the same over-crowding issue existed in the gym . . . again, may be a function of the week we were here, but while the gym was above average in terms of equipment, it was far too small, square footage wise and very crowded

The Morningstar beach area was actually quite nice. We spent several days down in that area and if we returned to this resort (which, I don't think we will) we'd probably book a room at Morningstar portion of the resort.

I would recommend this resort for families (there were a lot of kids around and a section of the pool had a "play area" including a water feature / fountain). I would not recommend this resort for couples looking for quiet time or a get-away . . . . at least not during this particular week of the year, maybe it is different during less peak portions of the season.

We took two excursions and they were ok -- the 1/2 day snorkel with the Turtles and the dinner cruise . . . both on "the Cat". The crew on the Cat were great, but the snorkeling at the turtle preserve was . . . "meh" (compared to our experiences in the BVI an Hawaii).

Our only good "on property" meal was at "Havana Blue" at the Morningstar. Interestingly, Havana Blue is not associated with the hotel, so you can't charge the tab to your room, BUT the food, ambiance, and presentation were far, far better than anything at the resort, and only marginally more expensive.

Overall, the Marriott Frenchman's Reef is not a resort I would recommend to friends, nor will we probably return to. We would consider coming back to Morningstar, however.

Room Tip: Get the Ocean Tower or stay at the Morningstar portion of the resort. Avoid the Harbor wing and Sea...
2  Thank dhodory

Thank you for your review. If another vacation should bring you back to St. Thomas, please contact me through the hotel so that our leadership team can assist in your room style choice at Morning Star. Our highest goal is your total satisfaction. We look forward to showing you the level of service our reputation us built upon. Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

my family and i stayed at this hotel mid december. When we arrived at the hotel, we checked in almost hassle free. I made my reservation with marriot themselves but at check in she couldnt see that i had paid for a room including breakfast. I had to call marriot from my cell phone and have the lady talk to the agent on the phone who explained to her my reservation. I did get a nice upgrade so i cant complain. The hotel is nice, its not the most convenient to get around but its a very nice resort. The breakfast was great, a lot of variety with the food. The outdoor sitting area that marriot shows in its pictures looked very big in person its much smaller then i thought. What i didnt like about the hotel was that it didnt seem to be run my marriot but by the adventure center. You cant do anything in the hotel unless you go through the adventure center. I am not kidding we went to one of the "nicer" of the 4 restaurants in the hotel, they said oh you need to make a reservation. they had plenty of tables, it was a joke. You couldnt book any scuba diving excursions, since the adventure center didnt do it. they wouldnt even call someone for you, they said we had to call. I guess the scuba place didnt bribe them enough to be in the adventure center to do manual. It gets better. The conceirge (hopefully i spelled that right) that a lot of people rave about was all about 2 things. Trying to sell you time share or not leaving the resort so we spend our money at the hotel. We asked the gentleman about renting a car, his reply was why do you want to leave the hotel. Its dangerous driving on the other side of the road and dangerous driving around town. What the hell? Everything was about the hotel was nickle and dime. I have stayed in a lot of hotels, much more affluent then this hotel, so its not about why is a hambuger $18.00, its about why the games. I am not sure how much this adventure center is paying the marriot to run the show, but its a huge turn off. I would go back to st thomas, but i wouldnt tell anyone to stay at this hotel. You pay $35.00 a night resort fee, but you dont get anything back from it. other hotels offer free snorkel, kayake, etc, even with marriots resort fee, you still have to pay. Its the marriot nickle and dime hotel. Dont stay here.

2  Thank HMN99

Thank you for the feedback. I am sorry to hear you did not feel that the service you received was comprehensive. We do use preferred vendors for activities based on consistency and safety. Perhaps that is what you encountered. If anyone reading this is planning travel, feel free to contact the Adventure Center via their website or call directly. Also, our resort fee does include the use of all non-motorized beach equipment that includes snorkel gear and kayaks. If there is anything further you would like to discuss, please feel free to contact me directly at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. I would welcome the opportunity to work with you. Thank you again and Happy New Year!

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The Reef is a very lovely hotel overlooking the beautiful waters of the Caribbean. Our room faced the bay and the city of Charlotte Amalie, which we both enjoyed. Food prices are definitely high, but no more so than other restaurants in town (with an import of 98% this is understandable). All of the staff were very polite and accommodating, but one stood out among the rest, which is Nilda at the front desk. She is fabulous and was extremely helpful!

Room Tip: Stay in the MAIN hotel (Reef)...an ocean view room will have the day and evening sun and noise from...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Thank you for your compliments of our restaurants. We also appreciate the specific mention of Nilda; she will be recognized for her fabulousness! Happy New Year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!