Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed due to a natural disaster.

“Impressive Customer Service by Kendra at Timeshare”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I visited St.Thomas back in October. We've never traveled out of the mainland but a friend of ours was getting married and this was the destination and we figured why the heck not! The check-in was a slow process but the front desk agent Tisha was very courteous. Our room was not ready and we arrived a bit after 4pm ( I believe check-in is at 3pm). While trying to kill time walking around the hotel we met a young lady by the name of Kendra (think she works with the timeshare part of the hotel). She greeted us and said "Good Afternoon; How are you?" She must have sensed our frustration and asked if everything was alright. We explained to her that we had been waiting for our room for over an hour and how absurd it was to have to wait that long. She apologized sincerly and me feeling horrible that I lashed out at her when she had nothing to do with the process apologized to her. She then offered us a seat in their waiting area and poured us some juice and offered us chips. She said we could hang out there while we waited for our room.We checked with the hotel twice before our room was finally ready and when it was we thanked her greatly for her hospitatilty. About 2 days later we ran into her again and she being her bubbly self greeted us with a smile and asked how our stay was so far. We inquired with her about renting a car and we called numerous places before we found a price that was right for us (ended up being Avis) She helped us make a reservation only to find out that they wouldn't be able to deliver the car to the hotel and we would need to catch a cab. Kendra then offered to take us down in their shuttle and what amazed me was when she told us "I want you to get out and see and enjoy my island so lets not waste anymore time." We scurried to the car! Again we thanked her for her continued hospitality. Overall this hotel is a wonderful property and everyone was more or less courteous except this one waitress at Coco Joe's (cant remember her name). I would reccommend that they hire more check-in agents as the line was a bit long and get rooms ready faster. Other than that I would definately visit again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Devon V
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Thank you for your pointing out Kendra for exemplifying the guest service goals we strive for. Her outstanding efforts for you will be celebrated by our leadership team!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

The Marriott Frenchman Reef hotel killed a living reef to build a beach. The hotel exists because it destroyed the reef in which it is named. This is what Marriott does. Kills anything to make a buck.

No where in the seating areas was there a single electrical plug to use a laptop. Their suggestion was to do my work in my room or use their business center. I didn't pay for this trip to sit in my room to work, I wanted a bit of comfort; not to be had.

The entire area closes down unless there is a cruise ship in port. Seriously, their doors are closed. When the cruise ships call their passengers back onboard for dinner at 5pm, the entire town closes their doors and go home. An extremely boring place.

I suggest staying in other hotels, maybe in the city of Red Hook. But from what I see since I've been here, you would have a better time by spending your money on another island. I enjoyed Jamaica, Costa Rica, Grand Caymans, Carucao, Key West much more.

But I preferred Saint Thomas over Miami because of all the bigotry in Miami

Apparently there are no trained personnel in regards to maintenance. The elevator was jury-rigged to keep it running. They do a repair with no intention of making sure the same failure does not happen again. The buttons must be pushed repeatedly as the elevator stops on each floor and waits for the button to be pushed again. Simple painting is rediculously sloppy; no preparation is done to make sure painting is done professionally. There is no pride or effort put into maintenance of the facilities. Imagine your worthless nephew hired to take care of the building maintenance; that is the type of work seen here.

The facilities are lacking. Very little activity. The snorkeling even on guided trips is terrible. They killed the reef and now all you see is an occasional turtle. Definitely go someplace else if you want to snorkle or go fishing. This is a reef disaster zone.

The worst was Albuquerque Marriott, that was a dive; it was as if we were in a private hotel in Tiajuana, Mexico. The ceilings had water damage, the carpet was dinggy and tattered, the entire building smelled of cigarette smoke and I couldn't sleep because the smell was in everything. Just so you know what I'm comparing the worst as.

Room Tip: Make sure you have internet in your room, not all rooms have a strong enough signal.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for not meeting your expectations on your recent visit. First, I would like to invite you to contact me directly at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com if I can be of assistance in any way or if there is anything further you would like to discuss. Regarding your comments about the reef, I am not sure what you are referring to. Perhaps you mean The Cove beach which is very rocky? I can however, address our conservation efforts here on property. We recently installed two new Trane Chillers that replaced very inefficient package terminal air conditioners. State of the art emissions control equipment is in place for the diesel generators. We use a state of the art reverse osmosis, water making system, new high efficiency, variable speed pumps for chilled water, sea water intake, potable water and grey water. We also have a waste water treatment plant where a portion of the grey water is used for irrigation. Our laundry system alone recycled over 6 million gallons of water in 2011. We are committed to maintaining the environment here on St. Thomas by changing the elements that are within our control. I also would like to mention your comment about our Wifi accessability; I apologize for your difficulty. The Aqua Terra and Rumbar Lounge both have outlets for your convenience but I do appreciate you bringing that inconvenience to my attention. Lastly, the elevators on property are a part of our regular maintenance and all of them are scheduled to be upgraded in 2013. Currently, if there is a malfunction, they are usually repaired on the same day. Again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your dissatisfaction with us, allowing me to address these issues for future guests and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We just got back from a trip to St Thomas. We stayed at the Marriott Frenchman. Our building was old and smelled like "old urine". Did they have a nursing home here before they built the hotel? The hotel smelled horribly. The elevator in our building often did not work. When I called to report that the elevator was not working, I was asked if I "pushed the button?" Really???? You pay a resort fee that covers "free" internet, however, the internet service does not work most of the times, but its usage is included in your resort fee. Very disappointed as the hotel does not carry the ethics and the standards seen in other Marriott Hotels of this caliber! The resturants on the resort offer you Burger or burger or burger! Not much diversity in food selection. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Supposedly, the hotel was just recently renovated after spending more than 48 million dollars in renevation. Wonder what this hotel looked liked before the 48 million dollars renevation!

Room Tip: Stay at a different hotel!
3  Thank maryfish
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was disheartened to read your comment about the unpleasant smell and would like to follow up with you to investigate and take immediate corrective measures. Would you please be so kind to send me an email to sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that was caused to you and your family. We would greatly appreciate the opportunity to work with you directly about this and the other issues you mentioned so that we can eliminate these problems for future guests. Thank you again.

Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

The Marriott hotel is pretty nice. Very quiet hotel. Not much entertainment but most Definately a chill place. Great for honeymooners. Food prices are expensive. Not for children. They will go out of their mind.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Joseph Q

Thank you for your comments! We’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I’d like to add to your comment about children. We do have many families with kids that stay and feel that with all our amenities at the resort and beach, there is plenty to do. Also, there are so many island adventures. However, we recognize there is always room for improvement. That being said, we would welcome any suggestions you would like to make and our leadership team can be reached via email at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. Thank you for choosing to stay for your honeymoon and we hope you will return again!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

What a great check in experience. Collin checked us and did some very nice things for us at checkin. Thank you Collin. Then we were very welcomed by Zogisle . We spent quite a bit of time with Zogisle as he gave us a huge amount of information about the island. Even though we have been here many times before, he told us many things we didn't know. The best restaurants, tours, directions, little island insider secrets and answered all our questions. Zogisle is friendly, helpful, welcoming and a wonderful person to see after a long trip.

We have only been here 1 day so far but I already see an improvement in the property over my last stay. Upgrades have been done and it looks great.

Also thanks to Jose at Coco Joes for his kind and friendly efficient service.

Room Tip: Morning Star is right at the beach and is more casual. The reef is on a cliff and if you stay there...
1  Thank CAK_624

Thank you for your wonderful 5-star review! I am delighted your first day with is has exceeded your expectations in every way!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I reviewed this resort last Nov and we are back for a night prior to staying in timeshare this year. The resort is split into 2 properties: “The Reef” is more high rise buildings on the cliffs overlooking the harbor/water. The MorningStar is a set of several buildings 2-3 floors on the beach with an older beach resort feel. We stayed on the MorningStar side this time around and it has much more a laid back quiet beach resort. Our room a beach view was more garden view but did have a side beach view thru a tree from the veranda which is large with a table and 2 chairs. Room was decent size, clean but had a strong smell of cleaner/bleach. A/C kept the room cool but the building we were in was showing lack of maintenance in the form of water damage on the ceiling and major rotted area on the ceiling of the veranda. All in all the room was comfortable and just steps off the beach. Service from staff ranges from ok to poor on both sides of the property. We understand the property is on “island time” but we expect to have decent service from friendly staff.

The location is the best thing going for this property. The views are amazing, the grounds are kept up nice, pools are good and we love Morningstar beach. We will continue to frequent the property as we own in the Marriott timeshare next door and it’s nice to have the resort amenities that are improving but still not what we expect from Marriott Resorts.

Room Tip: Go with the Morningstar side of property for the real beach resort feel. Also - If you plan to use...
2  Thank johnfi

Thank you for your recent review and photo of Morning Star Beach. We are committed to exceeding your expectations each time you visit and welcome all feedback for a more successful stay each time. Feel free to contact me through the hotel if there is ever anything I can assist you with! I am glad you enjoyed Morning Star and would like to add that we are in the process of doing room updates and property improvements to that part of the resort.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

The property is very nice and the workout facility was terrific, great equipment and plenty of room for a lot of people. The concierge we spoke to the most was Devvon....she was great! Very helpful and had a lot of good ideas for places to eat and things to see. We didn't rent a car right away but should have...the taxi prices are high and non-negoitable....best advise is to rent a car it will cost you at least $40 per person per day to get around the island...well worth it to rent a car.

The only restaurant on the Marriott property that is worth dining at is the Havana Blue, but the service was not very good the staff at the restaurants are very slow.

If you go on a timeshare presentation look out for Scott - he was terrible......

Room Tip: Higher floor is the best...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and personal mention of Devvon! Our concierge service is there for you and it sounds like she made some great recommendations for you. I would like to add to your comment about car rental for the benefit of the Tripadvisor community. One of the things many guests question when coming to St. Thomas is transportation options. Unlike the continental US, we drive on the left side of the street which some have concerns about. If you are planning to stay with us, please don’t hesitate to contact our pre-arrival team if you would like to discuss all your options. We are ready to help in any way we can. Thank you again!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 1 in South Coast
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!