“What great staff!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Novi, MI
“What great staff!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Here's a thankful shout out to Nakita Matthew and Julian Stewart especially; Reynee & Celia at the adventure desk; Shimon and his assistant in security; Petronella, Zogisle and all the staff at Marriot Frenchman's!! Both our needs and wishes were graciously and swiftly met with pleasant follow-up and efficiency. Definitely one of the TOP places to stay in the Caribbean because of these wonderful employees and their fresh, clean facilities at the Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star! We would love to come back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 4, 2012
Thank you from our leadership team for outlining the specific staff members who contributed to your rating of Frenchman’s Reef as one of the top resorts in the Caribbean! We appreciate it and look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,599)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My finance and I were newly engaged and were very excited to stay at a fancy resort and consider it as a venue for our wedding and/or honeymoon. Frenchman's Reef Marriott blew it. First we were assigned a 'garden view' room at Morningstar. Here, 'garden view' actually means view of the road, parking lot, and lots of headlights invading your privacy. We asked to transfer to the main hotel. We were transferred to a new room with another view of the parking lot, despite it being the off-season and there were clearly ocean-view rooms available. The room's ventilation smelled like mildew, mold, and smoke. The pillows smelled like mildew. The carpet was peeling off of the tile, and the door was poorly sealed, allowing light and sound to pour in from the hallway. The staff did not exchange the towels (even when left on the floor) and did not replenish the coffee. The food in the main hotel restaurant was mediocre at best. The only positive thing I can say about our stay is that the mojitos were tasty, but overpriced.

Room Tip: Do not allow them to assign you a 'garden view' room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Elle-B99
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. From what I understand after reading your review, you were very unhappy with your room selection. Please accept my apologies on behalf of our team for failing to provide you a room that met and exceeded your expectations. If there is anything further you would like to discuss with our management team, please send an email to me at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. We would welcome the opportunity to work with you directly. And if you should decide to visit St. Thomas again, please don’t hesitate to contact me through email or the resort so that we can micromanage your reservation process including room type selection and check-in procedure. Thank you again for staying with us!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We stayed at Frenchman's Reef in September and did a 9p tour with Nick. It turned out to be a private tour with just my boyfriend and I - and it was a blast. Nick did a great job navigating us around the waters by the hotel and resort. His stance on his paddle-board allowed him to find spotted rays and other sea creatures for us to observe and follow through our lit up clear bottomed kayaks. He was knowledgeable of the area and island and provided entertaining and interesting narration throughout the tour. I would definitely recommend doing the night kayak tour - such a fun unique experience. Bring your underwater camera is you have one!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the evening kayak tour! We highly recommend this activity for guests and it can be booked through our Adventure Center (on property or online).
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My new wife and I stayed here for on our honeymoon at the end of September, and really enjoyed ourselves. The entire resort is very convenient and laid out well. The pools were fantastic, and had some of the best views I have ever seen at a hotel/resort. The spa and work out facilities were also great, well maintained, and clean. The hotel stay was very friendly and helpful. Food was excellent and was always served hot. Breakfast buffets were fantastic, including Willie on omlet bar. Drinks were always mixed strong (fantastic value) and the bar tenders were all very friendly and helpful. Food portions and prices were average for most hotels/resorts I have stayed at both for business and leisure. We definitely recommend eating at Havana Blue, as the food was some of the best on the island, despite the restaurant being dusty. We took a dinner cruise with adventure center and loved it. Some of the best food I have had on a dinner cruise; usually its cheap salt ridden food, but this food was about average, and could be compared to slightly better than a good bar/grill food.

The only concerns I have about the resort regard cleanliness. First point, is the fact that our first room had bugs on the sheets (nats not bed bugs). The fridge had black mold growing on the inside. The front desk manager said "none of my rooms should have these issues" and promptly provided us another room. Fleas are very prevalent in the harbour building, due to the wild cats that the housekeeping staff was observed feeding (three separate days in seven) with leftovers from other guests rooms that were left behind. I came home with my wife and my leg's both covered in flea bites, which we had inspected by our family doctor. Just had to put hydro-cortisone cream on and itch for a week after we left the resort. Really disappointed in the amount of money we paid for our room, and the housekeeping staff didn't have more common sense.

Would definitely come back to this property, but in the future would stay in the main resort buildings, where there can be no flea-ridden cats attracted.

Room Tip: Do not get a room in the harbour wing.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your honeymoon! We’re happy to hear that most of your stay was pleasant, you enjoyed the resort cuisine and you would choose us again on your next visit. That being said, please accept our apologies for causing concern regarding the cleanliness of our property. Although most comments regarding housekeeping are positive, in your case it seems we fell short. Our first concern is always the safety and security of our guests. Like all beach resorts that enjoy a tropical wet-dry climate, humidity can create challenges during certain months of the year. We appreciate you bringing these issues to our attention and we wish to take immediate corrective measures. If you would be so kind to send me an email at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com and reference this review, I can work with you directly.
Reviewed October 28, 2012

The hotel needs updating and the staff needs customer service training. Our room was nice, everything was new, but the rest of the resort needs work, rusty stairwells and many areas are in need of painting. The pool area was nice, but the pool staff constantly was dragging chairs around, this did not not make for a very relaxing stay at the pool. Instead we walked down to the beach and grabbed some beach chairs and an umbrella, much more relaxing with the sound of the waves. The restaurant staff was seemed to have the attitude like we were doing them a favor. We only stayed two nights at this hotel, after a week on St. John, quite an awakening after the laid back stay on St. John. I will probably not sty at frenchmen's reef hotel again. I frequent Marriott resorts and hotels and this hotel seems subpar compared to others.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kegTravels
We would like the opportunity for a second chance to win your loyalty at Frenchman’s Reef Resort. Most of our rooms have been updated as part of our renovation, last fall. In advance of your next visit, please don’t hesitate to contact me through the resort so that I can have our leadership team assist in managing your reservations and room selections. Thank you again for bringing these suggestions to our attention and we hope you will give us another chance!
Pampa, Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We have traveled to Caribbean islands 15ish times. This resort had the poorest service we have ever seen . View and beach are beautiful, town is dead if cruise ships are not there. Hard to find a restaurant to eat at after 3 pm . No food at times we needed at hotel , no bell hop or service except at Adventure Center. Rooms were dirty, couldn't open patio door to enjoy beachfront patio we paid extra for.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kate D
Thank you for your feedback. Please contact us directly at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com (and reference this review) so that we can properly investigate the issues you experienced. We apologize that our resort did not meet your expectations but you can be sure that we take all these reviews very seriously. We hope to use your comments to improve our service and housekeeping and earn a 5-star satisfaction rating on your next trip to St. Thomas! Thank you again.
Burlington, North Carolina
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Our concierge was excellent--most helpful with all information about the property, shopping, transportation, restaurants, activities, etc.

The staff is super-friendly, but do keep in mind they are on "island time." I found everyone to be fun and helpful.

The resort was fabulous!! We chose the all-inclusive route, and I think we would have probably come out even had we not, but it was nice not to have to keep up with our tab. All food and drinks were 5 star quality. Everything was delicious. The resort has much to offer, and Charlotte Amalie is close by. I would highly recommend the water taxi for travel there. It's a nice change of pace from auto travel and the ride is scenic. The only negative I would mention, if any, is that even though the resort recently underwent a multi-million dollar renovation, I think the guest rooms could have been a little cleaner. But, I am a germophobe, so my expectations are very high ! The view from our water-view room was spectacular !! The beds were very comfortable. I would also suggest they add a mirror in the bedroom since bathroom quarters are somewhat tight. I cannot comment on the spa since we did not use it.

I would definitely return. I had stayed at Sugar-Bay many years ago, which was great, but I think the Frenchman is much better and worth the difference in price.

Room Tip: Definitely upgrade to a water view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for the generous review and mentions of our staff, restaurant quality and views. We hope you get a chance to return soon for another getaway!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!