“Best VACATION of our life”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Burton, MI
“Best VACATION of our life”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and i have been on many vacations and cruises but this vacation was by far the best. We went under and all inclusive package which I definately recommend. We also went on the off season from Sept 16-21 2012. That was great not a ton of guests no overcrowding and the infinity pool is magnificant. I am not big on swimming in the ocean for me and my husband were caught in a riptide once. If you like to swim in the ocean there are a ton of wondedrful beaches trunk bay in St. John is fantastic. We went on tours of the islands and we ate wonderful meals. With the all inclusvie all food and meals on the property are included except for in the sand bar. It is a good thing we got the all inclusive because meals are pricey otherwise upwards of 100.00 for two people a meal. The staff are friendly the place is spotlessly clean. The rooms are great they just went through a huge rennovation. The views are breathtaking, It is like I was in heaven on earth. I look at my pictures and just travel back there in my mind. If you want to see the virgin islands this is the place to go look no further trust me you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I loved the ocean towers the waterview room the towers are where the pools are located and the restu...
3 Thank brooksc6
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you for the excellent compliments! We’re thrilled to have provided a vacation spot that was the best you have experienced and ‘like heaven on earth’ for you! Feel free to post your photos here or on our Facebook page! We’d love to see them!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,551)
Long Island
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a 5-day stay at the Marriott Frenchman's Cove in St. Thomas. We've vacationed in St. Thomas several times but this was the first time at the Frenchman's Reef. We can not say enough good things about our perfect stay! No kidding! From check-in to check-out! They have put so much into this place. Our room was immaculate. It was taken care of every day. The bedding was so nice I almost didn't want to get up and explore! Best sleep ever. The pools were beautiful and well kept. Never had a problem finding a lounge chair to relax in. All of them facing the most amazing views across the water. The food at Coco Joe's was outstanding! One night we ordered nothing but the appetizers and couldn't decide which one was better. For lunch the crab and avocado salad was so good I wanted it to last forever!
We rented a car to get around. I would recommend doing so. Sometimes we would come back from having dinner in town and drive down to Morningstar beach at the bottom of the hill at Frenchmans Reef and leave the car there for a romantic night on the beach.Then we would walk up to our room later.
One of the places we heard about on the island was this small out of the way bar restaurant called Jack's Bight. It is located on the beach at the Point Pleasant resort on the east side of the island. What a cool little place! Excellent food, beautiful views and your right on the water! There isn't another place on island like it. We've been coming down to St. Thomas for years and this place is one of the only ones left to still hold it's charm. A can't miss place to stop by for breakfast or lunch or catch an awesome sunset during dinner. You can even rent a kayak for a spin!
We're going back in January!!

3 Thank mattmo
Sounds like you had a wonderful stay! Thank you for sharing your delight of the views, housekeeping service, comfortable linens, and cuisine at Coco Joe’s! Great idea to rent a car and also use it to spend your evenings at the Morning Star beach! We really appreciate your 5-star satisfaction rating and are grateful to have earned it. Looking forward to your return in January!
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Let me start out by saying that we travel at least 3-4 times a year and are seasoned travelers-both with and without the children. My family group of 8 stayed at the Frenchman's reef section of the hotel from 9/15-9/20 and could not have been happier with the grounds, staff and service. We range in age from 3-63 years old and everyone had a blast! The hotel is in a great location for touring the island. The views are spectacular and you can see the cruise ships come in and out everyday from the hotel. Room service was yummy, the pools were excellent and clean with views that you can't get anywhere else. The beds were comfortable and the rooms were up to date. Everyday the staff greeted us and always offered their help and guidance. My only issue is that the beach is located on the morning star end of the property but not to worry because the hotel offers a free 3 minute shuttle there. The WIfi was a must for our teenagers and this is included in the $30 per day room fee. I would recommend renting a car on the island. Taxis can get very expensive and they charge per person. It's very easy to drive around the island. Coki beach and coral world is a must. The world famous mountain top and magens bay was so relaxing and tranquil. We took a day trip to St. John for a tour of the island and ended off at trunk bay. The pictures that we took and views are thought to be out of a magazine. PICTURE PERFECT. Shopping in town is great if you're looking for jewelry. Yes food at the hotel and on the island in general is expensive but let's not forget they import almost everything. I would definitely return!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank SLane31
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for sharing the ways our resort was able to accommodate your whole family! We appreciate your recommendations and compliments!
DC
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We are just back from our Honeymoon in St. Thomas where we stayed at the Morning Star Beach resort part of the Marriott. After some debate we are so glad we chose this over the main hotel up on the hill. I loved being right on the beach! Our balcony over looked the ocean and the water is such a beautiful blue! The beach villas are conveniently located near the Havanna Blue restaurant, Coco Joe's restaraunt and one of the pools. We did go to the main hotel each morning for breakfast but they have a shuttle service that will take you right there with hardly any waiting. (Be aware that the shuttle is a modified pickup truck. You ride in the bed of the truck on covered benches. Get into the truck walking up 2 step "stair cases" that are sooo very narrow and awkward... could be most difficult for anyone who is not small or limber) The breakfast buffet is expensive so upgrade your stay to include free breakfast each day. The food is very good but the wait staff are mostly UNpleasant. Don't expect freindly morning greetings. They barely look at you when they speak to you. Don't wait around for a hostess just walk into the dining and get someone to seat you esp. if you eat very early. Some mornings a manager dressed person walks by and inquires how things are... very freindly! but don't expect this from the wait staff. Havanna Blue, the restaraunt on the beach is run by an outside contractor. They are very nice there and the food is soooooo good I can hardly put it into words. For gourmet food I did not think it was too pricey either. Don't miss eating there!
All the Marriott bartenders are friendly and they make excellent fruity cocktails! We visited in Sept and we did not realize this was the island's slowest time of the year for tourism. This was great because nothing was crowded. We often were the only people in the pool or by the bar etc... This was bad too though because things were closed or closing early around town... And the hotel decided that this was a great time to close the hotel spa so we couldn't get massages... well we could have had massages in our room if we paid extra! This annoyed me... the hotel wants me to pay extra because they closed the spa during my stay!
The hotel food is very good, the views are breathtaking, the excursions offered at the Hotel adventure center are amazing and our room was lovely. I did not care for the neck wrenching square pillows, the unfreindly wait staff, the closed spa. Also we had a problem with housekeeping replenishing our room waters, shampoo, soap, & fixing our LOUD icemaker. We had to ask two days in a row at the front desk before they got back on track. The lady at the front desk we dealt with was not overly friendly either. I guess I am just used to many other marriotts were that staff are just sooo personable. I am not used to people talking without looking me in the eye. The Virgin Islands have some beautiful beaches so be sure to visit the adventure centure at the hotel and book some excursions. Bring your passport so you can visit the British Virgin Islands! Our excursion to St. John's Island left right from the hotel dock which was so convenient. You must walk down many many stairs to reach the dock & when you are finished you walk back up these stairs to reach the hotel lobby again. If you can't do stairs I don't know if there is another option. Note you can buy the same postcards at the dock office 4 for a $1 that will cost you $1.50 each at the hotel gift shop off the main lobby. St. Thomas is expensive so every bit helps. We cabbed everywhere because I wasn't ready to rent & drive on the left on super narrow roads up and down steep mountains but cab rides will cast you about $10 per person each way. Cab rides can be scary esp on St. John's where they say the roads originally were donkey trails. .

Make sure you visit Megahns Beach and The Mountain top were the views are incredible! Skip Coki beach no matter what they say at the adventure centure. Be certain to visit Trunk Bay on St John's! This beach is beautiful and the snorkling is great. You can get a cab to the ferry in Redhook to St John's and cab to this beach. You won't regret it!

Room Tip: Choose Hibiscis building down at the Morning star!
2 Thank DW092012
Thank you for your wonderful compliments of Morning Star Resort! We appreciate all that you had to say in your review. Although you did have good experiences with our team, we’re sorry you did not feel our signature warm responsiveness from every staff member you encountered. Our goal is to be gracious and courteous at all times. On a more positive note, we’re glad to hear the Adventure Center sent you on some excellent excursions! Great tips for future travelers too! We hope another special occasion brings you back to the islands for another adventure! Congratulations and best wishes for a bright future together!
New York, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Let me get my #1 complaint about this place out of the way - getting breakfast at the indoor dining room (Aqua Blue I think) was a rather trying experience. Whenever we went down there, there was never anybody at the host/hostess stand. We would stand there for 5-10 minutes while other guests arrived and a lengthy line accumulated. Waiters and waitresses would see people waiting there to be seated but do nothing. On some days the hostess would show up, seat the couple in front of us, then disappear for another few minutes. Eventually she would seat us. One day we got so frustrated with waiting we took matters into our own hands and seated ourselves. The waitress came by, took our orders without blinking an eye so it was fine. I know it is difficult running a restaurant but for the prices they charge you'd think they'd hire more staff or at least hire more competent people. Service was also pretty slow at Coco Joe's and the other swim-up bar by the pool. The food was good at all three places though. Service was better at the Sunset Grill, but that is actually at a sister property next door (to which they have shuttles) so I'm not sure if its managed by the same people. They had their act together over there.

The "Adventure Center" is where you book offsite excursions and other activities. The prices are fairly reasonable, but when I asked about renting a clear kayak (a kayak that is completely clear inside and out so you can see the ocean life while you're paddling), I was told, "we don't do that anymore, there is only a 10am tour that you have to book"). Disappointing.

The spa was closed for renovations for most of our visit. Also disappointing, but my wife did get a massage.

The property has been renovated recently, so the rooms are nice, the pools are nice, the beach is great and the view is amazing. Housekeeping did a great job of cleaning the room every day, and the two bottles of water they leave in the room everyday is a nice touch too, because you really need them every day to stay hydrated.

But when it came time to check out, they didn't have automated checkout on the TV (like so many hotels I've stayed at), nobody picked up when we dialed the front desk a few times, eventually they did pick up and then when I said that I am ready to check out of my room, they immediately put us on hold. I just decided to leave and hope they'd figure it out and not charge my credit card. Every other hotel I've stayed at either allows you to check out by using the TV, or a quick 10-second phone call.

For the prices we paid this hotel has got to get its act together. Maybe I just expect too much.

4 Thank caj111
Despite experiencing a couple frustrations, it sounds like your trip was enjoyable. I agree that a guest should never have to wait to be acknowledged by the staff and I am addressing that with the management of Aqua Terra and the front desk to correct the oversights! Thank you for bringing it those to my attention. I’m also going to bring your suggestions for instant check-out to our resort operations leadership team to consider. Right now, you can either call the front desk or, like you did, leave the resort and have the bill settled automatically. Lastly, we appreciate your compliments to our housekeepers and will pass those along directly to them. Thank you again for your review and we are glad to hear you totally enjoyed our renovated rooms, pools, cuisine and of course the awesome views. The Spa closure was unexpected and is now open.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. I did quite a bit of research before I picked this resort. Let me start by saying though that we stayed at the Morning Star location of this hotel. These are the two story rooms directly on the beach (NOT the main hotel up on the hill).

GROUNDS & STAFF: For the most part the grounds were pretty clean. Things are very spread out and you have to do quite a bit of walking to the beach if you're staying at the main building on the hill. The staff always acted like we were bothering them if we had a question. I hated that. If you don't want to be in hotel & tourism, then find another occupation.

ROOMS: We stayed at the Morning Star location for this property. It was the two story building right on the beach. It was fantastic! It took us all of 30 seconds to walk to the beach. It was literally right there! We kept our door open slightly at night to hear the ocean waves (don't keep it open TOO much though because the lizards and crabs will make an appearance!). Our room was cleaned on time each day.

BEACH & POOL: There are NO umbrellas on the beach. My husband and I would get up earlier and sit under the tree that was on the beach. Make aure you are aware that there are Iguanas on the beach with you. And I mean BIG Iguanas! I didn't mind them and I would feed them the cherries out of my fruity drinks, but some people were petrified of them. I can't stress how BIG they are! Servers would come out pretty often to serve you drinks. They were GOOD drinks too! As far as the pool, we only saw it once as it is way up on the hill by the main property. We didn't go up there except for one time. From what I saw, it was beautiful BUT it was pretty crowded.

RESTAURANTS: Beacuse we stayed down at the Morning Star property, there was only ONE restaurant that was right there. We ate there every single day. The food was decent, so we really didn't mind. On a side note, there were a lot of little kitty-cats roaming around the food areas. We felt bad for them and fed them.

SHOPPING: Shopping on this Island is outstanding! It's one of the main ports of call for Cruise Ships, so you can imagine the stuff you can find and buy. Very high-end shopping or little market type places for sovenirs. Loved the shopping here!

I would recommend this resort, however, I would probably stay somewhere else if we went back.

Room Tip: Stay down at the Morning Star property directly on the beach!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy S
Thank you for joining us on your honeymoon! We appreciated reading your resort experience ratings, suggestions for improvement. Nice addition of photos (including the curious iguana) to our growing collection here on Tripadvisor! Based on your recommendations, we hope to win another opportunity to host you on your next visit to the islands. Keep in mind, we offer a complimentary shuttle between Morning Star and Frenchman’s Reef so guests at both resorts have easy access all our amenities and restaurants! Thank you again and best wishes for a joyful life together!
Las Vegas
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I just left the resort and will definitely come back for a repeat visit in the near future. Upon arrival, the front desk agent, Antoinette was really helpful, kind and knowledgeable. Even at check out, she remembered my name. That in my book goes a long way.
The room was nice and clean. The pool area was breathtaking with its spectacular views of the ocean, especially at night with lights of the town in view. My only complaint about the hotel is the bed. It was a hard bed but nothing some Rum couldn't easily make me forget about.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is considering a resort in St. Thomas.

2 Thank jd417
Thank you for your generous recommendation of Frenchman’s Reef! We will make sure Antoinette receives kudos for her warm service that is inspiring a future stay. Before you return, don’t forget to call ahead so we can welcome you back! Also, look here on Tripadvisor for our current special offer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
#1 of 5 in East End
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!