Let me get my #1 complaint about this place out of the way - getting breakfast at the indoor dining room (Aqua Blue I think) was a rather trying experience. Whenever we went down there, there was never anybody at the host/hostess stand. We would stand there for 5-10 minutes while other guests arrived and a lengthy line accumulated. Waiters and waitresses would see people waiting there to be seated but do nothing. On some days the hostess would show up, seat the couple in front of us, then disappear for another few minutes. Eventually she would seat us. One day we got so frustrated with waiting we took matters into our own hands and seated ourselves. The waitress came by, took our orders without blinking an eye so it was fine. I know it is difficult running a restaurant but for the prices they charge you'd think they'd hire more staff or at least hire more competent people. Service was also pretty slow at Coco Joe's and the other swim-up bar by the pool. The food was good at all three places though. Service was better at the Sunset Grill, but that is actually at a sister property next door (to which they have shuttles) so I'm not sure if its managed by the same people. They had their act together over there.
The "Adventure Center" is where you book offsite excursions and other activities. The prices are fairly reasonable, but when I asked about renting a clear kayak (a kayak that is completely clear inside and out so you can see the ocean life while you're paddling), I was told, "we don't do that anymore, there is only a 10am tour that you have to book"). Disappointing.
The spa was closed for renovations for most of our visit. Also disappointing, but my wife did get a massage.
The property has been renovated recently, so the rooms are nice, the pools are nice, the beach is great and the view is amazing. Housekeeping did a great job of cleaning the room every day, and the two bottles of water they leave in the room everyday is a nice touch too, because you really need them every day to stay hydrated.
But when it came time to check out, they didn't have automated checkout on the TV (like so many hotels I've stayed at), nobody picked up when we dialed the front desk a few times, eventually they did pick up and then when I said that I am ready to check out of my room, they immediately put us on hold. I just decided to leave and hope they'd figure it out and not charge my credit card. Every other hotel I've stayed at either allows you to check out by using the TV, or a quick 10-second phone call.
For the prices we paid this hotel has got to get its act together. Maybe I just expect too much.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surrounded on three sides by stunning Caribbean ocean views, the Frenchman's Reef Resort combines modern luxury and the unique Virgin Island style of St. Thomas. The hotel features clean, crisp large guest rooms with flat screen 50"TVs. Experience new resort features including an infinity pool, children's splash zone, adult infinity pool with bar; and private spa pool. Our Lazule Sea Spa is now open featuring extensive treatment rooms, salon, state of the art fitness center, and private spa pool with cabanas. Aqua Terra is one of three restaurants at Frenchman's Reef which features spectacular views of the Charlotte Amalie harbor. Our mission is to host you brilliantly... To make your every event and stay with us unforgettable and effortless. Come visit us at Marriott Frenchman's Reef and Morning Star Beach Resort and discover the most luxurious vacation destination in the US Virgin Islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Frenchman`s Reef And Morning Star Beach Resort
- Marriott Frenchman`s Reef & Morning Star Beach Hotel Charlotte Amalie
- Marriott Charlotte Amalie
- Charlotte Amalie Marriott
- Marriott Frenchmans Reef
- Frenchmans Reef St Thomas
- Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands