“Generally good, but for the prices you pay, service could be better” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
New York, New York
“Generally good, but for the prices you pay, service could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Let me get my #1 complaint about this place out of the way - getting breakfast at the indoor dining room (Aqua Blue I think) was a rather trying experience. Whenever we went down there, there was never anybody at the host/hostess stand. We would stand there for 5-10 minutes while other guests arrived and a lengthy line accumulated. Waiters and waitresses would see people waiting there to be seated but do nothing. On some days the hostess would show up, seat the couple in front of us, then disappear for another few minutes. Eventually she would seat us. One day we got so frustrated with waiting we took matters into our own hands and seated ourselves. The waitress came by, took our orders without blinking an eye so it was fine. I know it is difficult running a restaurant but for the prices they charge you'd think they'd hire more staff or at least hire more competent people. Service was also pretty slow at Coco Joe's and the other swim-up bar by the pool. The food was good at all three places though. Service was better at the Sunset Grill, but that is actually at a sister property next door (to which they have shuttles) so I'm not sure if its managed by the same people. They had their act together over there.

The "Adventure Center" is where you book offsite excursions and other activities. The prices are fairly reasonable, but when I asked about renting a clear kayak (a kayak that is completely clear inside and out so you can see the ocean life while you're paddling), I was told, "we don't do that anymore, there is only a 10am tour that you have to book"). Disappointing.

The spa was closed for renovations for most of our visit. Also disappointing, but my wife did get a massage.

The property has been renovated recently, so the rooms are nice, the pools are nice, the beach is great and the view is amazing. Housekeeping did a great job of cleaning the room every day, and the two bottles of water they leave in the room everyday is a nice touch too, because you really need them every day to stay hydrated.

But when it came time to check out, they didn't have automated checkout on the TV (like so many hotels I've stayed at), nobody picked up when we dialed the front desk a few times, eventually they did pick up and then when I said that I am ready to check out of my room, they immediately put us on hold. I just decided to leave and hope they'd figure it out and not charge my credit card. Every other hotel I've stayed at either allows you to check out by using the TV, or a quick 10-second phone call.

For the prices we paid this hotel has got to get its act together. Maybe I just expect too much.

4 Thank caj111
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Despite experiencing a couple frustrations, it sounds like your trip was enjoyable. I agree that a guest should never have to wait to be acknowledged by the staff and I am addressing that with the management of Aqua Terra and the front desk to correct the oversights! Thank you for bringing it those to my attention. I’m also going to bring your suggestions for instant check-out to our resort operations leadership team to consider. Right now, you can either call the front desk or, like you did, leave the resort and have the bill settled automatically. Lastly, we appreciate your compliments to our housekeepers and will pass those along directly to them. Thank you again for your review and we are glad to hear you totally enjoyed our renovated rooms, pools, cuisine and of course the awesome views. The Spa closure was unexpected and is now open.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,533)
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon. I did quite a bit of research before I picked this resort. Let me start by saying though that we stayed at the Morning Star location of this hotel. These are the two story rooms directly on the beach (NOT the main hotel up on the hill).

GROUNDS & STAFF: For the most part the grounds were pretty clean. Things are very spread out and you have to do quite a bit of walking to the beach if you're staying at the main building on the hill. The staff always acted like we were bothering them if we had a question. I hated that. If you don't want to be in hotel & tourism, then find another occupation.

ROOMS: We stayed at the Morning Star location for this property. It was the two story building right on the beach. It was fantastic! It took us all of 30 seconds to walk to the beach. It was literally right there! We kept our door open slightly at night to hear the ocean waves (don't keep it open TOO much though because the lizards and crabs will make an appearance!). Our room was cleaned on time each day.

BEACH & POOL: There are NO umbrellas on the beach. My husband and I would get up earlier and sit under the tree that was on the beach. Make aure you are aware that there are Iguanas on the beach with you. And I mean BIG Iguanas! I didn't mind them and I would feed them the cherries out of my fruity drinks, but some people were petrified of them. I can't stress how BIG they are! Servers would come out pretty often to serve you drinks. They were GOOD drinks too! As far as the pool, we only saw it once as it is way up on the hill by the main property. We didn't go up there except for one time. From what I saw, it was beautiful BUT it was pretty crowded.

RESTAURANTS: Beacuse we stayed down at the Morning Star property, there was only ONE restaurant that was right there. We ate there every single day. The food was decent, so we really didn't mind. On a side note, there were a lot of little kitty-cats roaming around the food areas. We felt bad for them and fed them.

SHOPPING: Shopping on this Island is outstanding! It's one of the main ports of call for Cruise Ships, so you can imagine the stuff you can find and buy. Very high-end shopping or little market type places for sovenirs. Loved the shopping here!

I would recommend this resort, however, I would probably stay somewhere else if we went back.

Room Tip: Stay down at the Morning Star property directly on the beach!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amy S
Thank you for joining us on your honeymoon! We appreciated reading your resort experience ratings, suggestions for improvement. Nice addition of photos (including the curious iguana) to our growing collection here on Tripadvisor! Based on your recommendations, we hope to win another opportunity to host you on your next visit to the islands. Keep in mind, we offer a complimentary shuttle between Morning Star and Frenchman’s Reef so guests at both resorts have easy access all our amenities and restaurants! Thank you again and best wishes for a joyful life together!
Las Vegas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I just left the resort and will definitely come back for a repeat visit in the near future. Upon arrival, the front desk agent, Antoinette was really helpful, kind and knowledgeable. Even at check out, she remembered my name. That in my book goes a long way.
The room was nice and clean. The pool area was breathtaking with its spectacular views of the ocean, especially at night with lights of the town in view. My only complaint about the hotel is the bed. It was a hard bed but nothing some Rum couldn't easily make me forget about.
I highly recommend this hotel to anyone that is considering a resort in St. Thomas.

2 Thank jd417
Thank you for your generous recommendation of Frenchman’s Reef! We will make sure Antoinette receives kudos for her warm service that is inspiring a future stay. Before you return, don’t forget to call ahead so we can welcome you back! Also, look here on Tripadvisor for our current special offer.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I arrived today for our Honeymoon and it has been an awful experience so far...As a a Gold Elite member I would have expected much much more from a Marriott! We had to wait for our room for over 4 hours (well after the 4pm guaranteed checkin) and have had to deal with extremely rude staff! We are already planning on cutting our 6 night stay short and heading over to the Westin on St Johns much earlier than expected. While it is more expensive at the Westin, we've stayed there before and know the level of service we can expect there. Huge disappointment at this place!!! would NOT recommend it!!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank NYCTravelingfool
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Thank you for reaching out while still at our resort! Our leadership team would love the opportunity to work with you directly and turn your negative experience into a positive one. Please ask for the Manager on Duty thorugh our At Your Services.
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here on our last night ( we island hopped a little) and liked it a lot. The room was a nice size, very clean, and the bed was so comfy! The hotel grounds were very nice as well. Staff at the frot desk on the other hand... Not very helpful or pleasant. We felt like we were bothering them when we asked a question. Waitstaff was very kind an pleasant in the breakfast Buffett area.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank shughe19
Thank you for the excellent rating! We appreciate hearing your compliments of our staff, room comfort and the beauty of our grounds as well as your feedback for how we can improve communication at the front desk. We look forward to your next stay!
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

My boyfriend & I just returned from one of the best vacations ever - we stayed at the Frenchman's Reef. As soon as we entered the lobby, we were greeted with enthusiasm & genuine charm from the front desk clerk, Ydalia, not only was she pleasant, but each time we would see her at the resort, she would always ask if all was ok & went out of her way to make sure we were comfortable. From there, we met a very informative staff member of the Marriott Vacation Club, Joan, who provided tour information & great local insight - she was truly a joy to speak with & provided much humor. We got the all-inclusive plan, which I highly recommend. We ate at the Sunset Bar & Grill, in which Olivia waited on us on several occassions, always with a smile & a cheer in her voice; Aqua Terra - hats off to Judy for setting the tone as soon as we walked in & to Eunice for looking out after us, great breakfast bufffet; Coco Joes - Kudos to you Nataki & your staff, especially the 2 young ladies that handled a rush crowd, being already short-staffed, the evening of the 19th, you handled yourselves with poise & grace.

Each area of the resort was gorgeous & very well kept. The room was of the water view, overlooking the pool & the ocean, it was an awesome sight each morning. We took part in 2 tours & found the taxi drivers to the tour guides, all very helpful & willing to share the history of the island. Everyone served with a smile & genuinely appreciated our presence.

We will be back & have shared our photos & experience with many family members & friends.

Thanks again for a "knock out" vacation !!!!!!!

3 Thank D M
Thank you for sharing wonderful descriptions of your stay! We’re delighted to read about how our staff connected with you. It’s so valuable for us to hear the ways we have made a difference and your comments give us an opportunity to recognize individual efforts. We look forward to your return and appreciate your recommendation of Frenchman’s Reef to your family and friends!
Mililani Town, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was on my 2 week vacation from afghanistan, this place exceeded all my expectations. Highly recommended. Worth every penny, will def be coming back. The staff was great view was gret and so was the food. The bar at the infinity pool is amazing and the room was well kept and extremely lean. The spa was closed cause it was the off season but besides that i was amazed. Cannot wait to tell everyone about my wonderful trip

Room Tip: Get a room in the main hotel
3 Thank J Von V
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
We’re delighted you found Frenchman’s Reef to be a wonderful place to take your vacation! Thank you for your recommendations!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,629 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!