“Above Average in some ways and below average in others” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis
“Above Average in some ways and below average in others”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Frenchman’s Reef as a part of an incentive trip group.
There were so many lovely things about the property. The pool areas were beautiful and the guest room we had was nicely appointed. The grounds are gorgeous with beautiful flowers and a nice sandy beach.
I really felt that the hotel staff provided poor customer service. I was not impressed from a customer experience stand point.
One example of a poor customer experience happened when we ordered room service one morning. Our group was to meet in the hotel lobby at 7:15 AM to depart for an excursion. We called the night before and asked to have our breakfast room service delivered at 6:30 AM. I called the room service phone number at 6:45 and asked where our food was and the woman’s response was, “let me check and I will call you back.” She never called back. The food arrived to our room at 7:15 AM. We did not have time to eat it.
There were so many examples of poor customer service that others in our group shared that I don’t think I would ever choose to go to Marriott Frenchman’s Reef and pay to stay there.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MplsAmandda
, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 25, 2012
Thank you for giving us your feedback. While we certainly appreciate your compliments on the beauty of our property and Morning Star beach, we’re disheartened to hear of your overall dissatisfaction. Please accept our apologies for the staff service failures. The breakfast example you provided is very helpful to our team and gives us a direction to focus our efforts of improving our products and services. On that note, I invite you to contact me directly at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com (and reference this review) to share more details of your stay or if I can be of assistance for any future visits. We would like the opportunity to welcome you back to Frenchman’s Reef and provide an experience that is above average in all respects. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,533)
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

Gorgeous setting overlooking water from cliff. Expect a long check-in line as well as rooms that may not be ready at the time promised.I also caution wearing flipflops rather than regular shoes on the water taxi as I suffered 2 chip fractures falling down the boat stairs on a rainy day. Hotel suggested I write an accident report. As this painful mishap affected my weekend celebration enjoyment. My followup with Marriott proved futile as they refused to compensate me in any way. I highly recommend that a sign be placed in the water taxi stating "Caution: Slippery when wet." Be prepared to higher an attorney if you encounter a similar situation as Marriott won't budge otherwise.

Room Tip: Make sure it's not over the outdoor bar area.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
We are very interested in this situation and being in contact with you. The safety and security of our guests are top priority at Marriott. Please contact me, Joyce Griffin, directly at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com, so that we can discuss further with a key leader on our experience team.
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one night after doing a 6-day sail around the BVI's. We had stayed at the Ritz Carlton the week before our sail, and this was certainly a downgrade. First of all, there are shops and advertisements everywhere (strategically placed right outside the elevators on most floors). It just felt like we were being sold something at every turn. As for the noise, it was unbearable. We paid for an ocean view room and called the front desk twice to complain about the loud noises coming from the bar directly below our room (you would think they would have thought about this while drawing up the layout of the hotel). Unfortunately we didn't sleep a wink, although the bedding and the room itself were comfortable. And finally, as we were checking out I noticed their "resort fee" displayed on the check-in counter and found it comical. Let me begin by saying that we gladly paid close to $60.00 a day for the Ritz's resort fee, which made perfect sense considering their beach equipment (sail boats, paddle boards, paddle boats, snorkel gear, kayaks, and much more). The Marriott's "resort fee," on the other hand, covers things that should be included in the room rate anyway. For example, "2 bottles of water in your room" and "beach towels." My favorite? It mentions a happy hour that is included in this daily charge as well, only it's for one hour, from 5-6pm, on Wednesdays. Wow, how generous. I just thought that the whole place was joke, especially for the prices that they charge. I would recommend splurging, if you can, and staying at the Ritz. It was the best resort I've ever been to and was well worth the price tag.

Room Tip: Ask for one not above one of their numerous bars or restaurants!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LauraLady84
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the noise you experienced during your night with us, clearly dampening your experience of our resort. I would welcome the opportunity to work with you directly and can be reached at sttfrexperienceteam@marriotthotels.com. Regarding your comments about the resort fee, I regret you were not able to enjoy all the amenities that are included. For the benefit of community members planning travel here on Tripadvisor, I’d like to add that our resort fee is $30 per night, per room (not per person). It does include all non-motorized sports equipment, use of the exercise room, tennis court, spa and adventure activities discount offers, bottled water & towels, wireless internet and much more. If anyone has any questions or concerns regarding our amenities, please contact the resort directly. Thank you again for your review and we hope that you will give us a future opportunity to win your loyalty!
Mineola, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2012

We were there for 5 days - Doesn't get much better than this - The staff is excellent, these people can't do enough for you.. We stay here year after year and have brought friends down with us - its so nice to be greeted and remembered by long time Marriott employees - (ie: Vaughn Challenger, Danielle Rounds, Judy Etienne, Lawrence Grell, Manny Martinez, Steven St Luce just to name a few)

The renovations that were made came out beautiful - the rooms were neat, clean and comfy..The food was delicious... I can't say anything bad about the resort - it has it all...

Going back for another visit in September -

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Great photo of the new infinity pool! Thank you for taking a moment toshare and mentioning team members who have contributed to your many wonderful St. Thomas memories! We lookforward to seeing you this September!
La Palma, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

My sister and I stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed every moment. The resort is beautiful with comfortable rooms and great service. We enjoyed laying out by the infinity pool and Morningstar beach, although you have to get there early if you want an umbrella and pool chair. The buckets of VooDoo juice are the best! We enjoyed eating at Coco Joe's and met wonderful people to keep us company and entertained at the bar. It was fairly easy to make a day trip to St. John island... it was definitely worth the trip to Trunk bay and one of our favorite days. Taking the water taxi to downtown for shopping and dinner at Paradise point was another highlight. I look forward to making another trip here again.

I also want give a special thanks to Captain Clyde of Independent Sea Tours for bringing back my bag that I had lost in St. John.. you are a wonderful person!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank salu81
Thank you for your kind compliments for our rooms, staff and pools. Please call ahead of your next visit so we can welcome you back!
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

We returned last week from a stay at Frenchman's Reef with our two daughters, 17, and 21. I was nervous after reading so many bad reviews, which frankly now have me baffled. We arrived at 3 pm, and our room at the Morningstar was ready, contrary to what many reviews stated. From the time we arrived until the time we left, we were treated with respect, friendliness, and the utmost courtesy. Our room was on the 1st floor of the Morningstar, and we went to sleep each night to the sound of the ocean-hard to be stressed when you are in such a beautiful place.
My husband and I ate breakfast each morning at Coco Joe's -sure it is a little overpriced but no more so than any other resort. The food was good and the service excellent- especially Morvette and Geneth- who made our stay so memorable and exceptional.

We happened to meet a woman in our home airport who was from St Thomas, and she recommended we eat at Hook Line and Sinker. This was definitely a great tip- the food was excellent, the waitress friendly and the owners so gracious. They even helped us make a reservation for dinner at another restaurant later in the week.

We took a taxi to dinner and our driver was Charles- so friendly, informative and helpful. We called him the rest of the week whenever we wanted to go somewhere, and he was so reliable and dependable.

My daughters and I spent an afternoon shopping in Charlotte Amalie- took the ferry from the hotel. Definitely worth the trip just for the cultural flavor. We never felt unsafe or leery.

We also took the ferry to St. John and went snorkeling at Trunk Bay, and this was definitely worth the trip. Most beautiful beach I have ever seen.

We can't wait to return to St. Thomas!

Room Tip: We loved staying at the Morningstar because it was so close to the beach
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank kelkermag
Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate you specifically mentioning your family being treated with respect, friendliness and courtesy by our staff, especially Morevette and Geneth. I’m so glad you enjoyed your breakfast at Coco Joe’s each morning and had a chance to take the ferry into town. We sincerely hope another vacation brings you back to the islands and to another stay with us! Thank you again.
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

Upon arrival , you are greated warmly with what the locals call "happy juice", we were checked in expeditiously and our room was clean and comfortable. Every night, we enjoyed the beautiful view from the terrace. There are plenty of options for food including havana blue for occasions and fine dining and coco joes for more of a local flavor. There is also a shop open until 2am that serves fresh sandwiches (made to order), salads, and anything else you might need. THe fitness center is huge. There are several pools including the infinity pool which is gorgeous. The beach is amazing. All in all an unforgettable experience. Would not risk staying anywhere else.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank drtouny
Thank you for your generous review. We appreciate you taking the time to let the TA community (and our team) know how we contributed to an unforgettable experience. We’re delighted you will stay again! On that note, please call ahead so we can greet you as a returning guest!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,627 reviews

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!