“magnificent renovation of marriott frenchman's reef hotel”

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 15, 2012

the $48 million they put into this hotel was well worth it! The new spa is amazing! Plenty of room in the separate pool area. The main pool is now 2 infiniti pools that are magnificent. Plenty of room, clean, fantastic view of st thomas. The perfect picture spot.
The staff is warm and friendly here and you get the feeling they really do care if you are having a good time. They all have smiles on their face and can't be more friendly.
The rooms have definitely been upgraded. You can still smell the new carpeting in the halls and in the rooms. The wall decor is bright and carribbean looking. The new beds are more confortable than ever.
This hotel is a can't miss as long as you can afford it.

1  Thank devlsfn
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Fantastic to hear that we delighted you again during your most recent stay! Thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us and the Tripadvisor community. We look forward to providing you many more great vacations!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,425)

Reviewed February 14, 2012

My friend and I had facials at the Spa. The facials with Dawn and Laurie were wonderful. The spa, however, was a disappointment. The quiet room is not quiet. There is a constant in and out as new customers are introduced to the facility. The pool is not quiet. There is not real separation/privacy between the spa pools and the hotel facilities. On the day we were there three 30 somethings talking loudly in the hot tub and maintenance was being done on the pool and people were checking out the facility over the low fence. Marriott should have redone the spa at the JW in Desert Ridge which is perfect.

Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank KASEY3615

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. Dawn and Laurie will appreciate being recognized. For the disruptions you experienced during your spa visit, we sincerely apologize. This type of information greatly helps us in our effort to continuously improve the guest experience at all points in the resort. We do hope the rest of your stay was excellent and that on your next visit to St. Thomas, you will give our spa another try!

Reviewed February 14, 2012

I've been coming to this hotel for over 10 years and by far, it has one of the best views on the island. However, I can say service has been slipping over the past few years. Here's how I break it down - the good, the bad, and tips for a great stay:

You won't find better 180 degree views. Perched high above the water, ocean view rooms and the pool all have amazing, unobstructed views of the ocean and surrounding area.

The rooms are pretty clean (we found a bottle of water and some cheerios under our bed) and sheets, towels, etc. are all terrific. You need to be careful with the air conditioning units tho. The curtains tend to overhang the AC units and you can lose a lot of air if they are obstructed.

The pools have been remodeled and include 2 infinity pools which are terrific. You get a great view of the ocean and the resort from the pool area. I would not say this is a good pool for kids. There is limited space for them within the pool itself and there is definitely no room for splashing around and running. NOTE: The renovation now allows chairs to be placed directly in the pool on shallow shelves around the edges. This is a terrific touch; however, any horseplay in the pool will be a nuisance to those lounging on those chairs and there are quite a few of them. Also - people go to the pool at 8AM and start putting their towels/belongings to "hold" chairs. They may not show up for hours. My wife and I just started moving people's things because when we got to the pool at 9AM, we were staying at the pool. This is a terrible practice at many resorts and people are just selfish. On our last day, a couple showed up almost 2 hours after we moved their towels and they had the nerve to try to say it was unfair we moved their stuff.

The workout facility is sufficient - it's small and has no view of the outside. It's well mirrored and clean and all new equipment, but the lack of an outside view is annoying and it's very "basic" equipment. Signs on how to find the facility are tricky as well - be patient ;)

The on-premise restaurants offer mediocre food at best - even Havana Blue, their premiere restaurant, is just OK (and thus, overinflated prices). Food is pricey at the resort no matter where you are on property and the service is either speedy (food comes out in 5 minutes) or terrible (it took us almost 3 hours to have our last dinner and all we ordered was an entree). We found ourselves getting food from the sundry/gift shop and taking it to the pool because the service was consistently bad at the pool. They are also extremely understaffed - so expect slow service. Go eat/drink before you think you'll be hungry. If you wait until you're hungry, you're going to be annoyed.

TIPS:
About transportation: The Ferry from the resort to Charlotte Amelie is actually MORE EXPENSIVE and TAKES LONGER than if you get a taxi. PLUS, it should be a 10 minute ferry; however, the "captains" fancy themselves to be tour guides and go slow as molasses trying to tell you about the surrounding area and then expect a tip - what should be a 10 minute ferry takes almost 30 minutes. This same trip takes 10 minutes in a tax and is cheaper.

Also note that shops downtown are open 9-5 - the upscale shops near the cruise ships stay open later when ships are in port, but if there are no cruise ships, they close up early and will be CLOSED all day on Sunday.

Conventions: try to find out if they have conventions before you go. You want to avoid the hotel if they are having a very large group or a number of groups. The focus will be on the conventioneers and other guests take a back seat to decent service.

All in all, Frenchman's reef is not a good place to bring children under the age of 13; however it's a great romantic getaway if you want to relax and take in the sun with amazing ocean views. You'll have to put up with lax service and mediocre food - but we go to the islands for the ocean - not the food.

7  Thank DanChicagoUSA

Thank you for taking the time to share your tips and suggestions. It sounds like you have been pleased with most aspects of our resort during your visits. We will certainly be sure to review your service feedback in order to make improvements. We do want to clarify one thing regarding the pools. Here at Frenchman’s Reef, we have two infinity pools (our main pool and adult pool with swim-up bar) and our spa pool. Thank you again, and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed February 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for one week, and it was like heaven. Never had a bad meal, or a bad drink! Bartenders Dani, Shaun, Brian and Fran took good care of us and we made some lasting friendships. If you're looking for a relaxing vacation you can find it here. No need to leave the premises, Frenchman's Reef has it all.

Room Tip: We stayed at the end on the 5th floor. It was a great room cause it was quiet and we could see ocea...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Joyce G, Director of Sales at Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2012

Thank you for pointing out Dani, Shaun, Brian and Fran for their service excellence. We appreciate your generous comments!

Reviewed February 14, 2012

We just returned from 6 days at the Marriott Morning Star Beach Resort. If you are not familiar with this property the Morning Star is adjacent to the Marriott Frenchmen's Reef tower hotel. You have the use of all facilities but with much quieter, more beachy surroundings. Our room (second story with balcony overlooking the surf) was in a magnificent location. We enjoyed breakfast every morning on our private terrace. But, in all fairness, I must say Morning Star needs a facelift. The rooms are tired and dated. Had we paid less than we did, I would have thought it was magnificent. But the cost of this resort is prohibitive. Unlike many of the reviews I have read though we did not suffer from staff inefficiency. We thought everyone was very attentive and helpful. I'm pretty easy to please and didn't expect people to move at a NY pace. But that's okay since I try to stop moving at a NY pace when I'm on vacation! No complaints from me in that area.
The view of Charlotte Amalie as it is lighting up at night and the bay down below is incredible. This must be one of the most beautiful locations of any Marriott I've visited.

Reviewed February 14, 2012

We have just returned from the Marriott Frenchman's reef. This hotel has something for everyone. We are returning customers. This year the makeover is stunning. The guest rooms are large, the staff excellent,the new pool just beautiful. I cannot imagine anyone not having a fantastic vacation here.

Room Tip: We have been here six times and stayed in all parts of the hotel. If your traveling with little ones...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the great review and for choosing us for your vacations! We look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed February 13, 2012

My husband and I just returned from the Marriott Frenchman's Reef. Hmmm...where do I start with this? Let me first say that I am a Marriott Gold and have stayed at alot of Marriott properties, so I did have some high expectations of the good service/amenities that typically go with a Marriott. BUT.....First, I'll bullet point the good:
-beautiful location. There can't be a more beautiful location in all of the VI's and the weather is perfect, day or night.
-Room 1658. We had an amazing corner room with balcony on the sixth floor-view of Morning Star beach, ocean and harbor. Wow. It was amazing waking up every morning. Would not have changed rooms with any other. Try to request this room.
-Amazing pools. Plenty of lounge chairs, two infinity pools...perfect.
-You MUST try a smoothie in the snackshop. I had one every morning...best smoothie I have ever had....really.
-Great italian buffet in Aqua Terre. I thought it was good, my husband thought it was great.
-My husband loved the conch chowder at Aqua Terre. Had it two nights.
-We never felt the need to leave the resort. We left once to simply check out Charlotte Amalie and wished we would have stayed at the resort.
-Received exceptional service and attention from Roberta, Zane and Danielle.

Now for the bad...
-the lobby needs renovated. Bad, first impression.
-we arrived on Monday at 3:00. We were told our room was not ready ( I was prepared for this from all the negative reviews), so we went and had lunch/drinks at Sunset Grill. At 5:00, our room was finally ready.
-Towel cards. They give you towel cards, so that you can get towels for the pool. Then you get your card back when you return the towel. What a hassle. And each time you return your towels, they harass you about a timeshare.
-The pools are amazing and everyone is enjoying them, but there was never a bartender walking around to take drink orders. (They lost a potential minimum of $100 from us by not offering it). You would think a resort, such as this one, would realize the profits that could be made with a little effort from staff.
-The cost of things at the hotel is pretty high, but you are on vacation.
-The majority of people working at this hotel appear to not like it. They, for the most part, appear indifferent and unhappy to be there.
-The adult-only pool is NOT adult-only. Both times we went to this pool, there were children there, Once, two small children were eating lunch at the swim-up bar! Really...are you kidding me? This was unacceptable in my book.
-There were small children in the lounge in the evening, as well. When I discussed this with the bartender, he told me that there wasn't much they could do about it. I disagree. I realize that this is a family resort and not an adults-only resort, but shouldn't children be kept out of the adult-only pool and lounge?? If you are looking for a romantic location - look elsewhere.
-Stay out of Charlotte Amalie unless you are looking for jewelry. Too many people and too many pushy jewelry salespeople.
-We ate at Gladys Cafe in Charlotte Amalie. It was just okay. I can't believe this place is listed as a go-to in Frommer's. Don't bother.
-The day before our last day there, I requested an early check-out. They told me to speak with a manager the morning of my check-out. That morning, I knew the hotel was busy, but thought as a Gold Member they would allow it. I went to speak with the manager at the front desk, Robert. I politely asked him for a late checkout and he told me that he could not accomodate my request. I asked him if we could simply have the hour we lost at check-in and he would not even agree to that. He told me that hotel had a "contingency" plan where people checking out that day could share a room to shower, etc. No thanks. This was very disappointing as our flight was not until 5:30 pm. It made for a very long day to say the least and was not the service I typically receive from Marriott.
-Service at the hotel takes a long time. Expect that and you won't be disappointed.
-People are always at the front desk complaining. From conversations with other guests, I felt like 50% of the guests there were disappointed in the hotel.
So, would I recommend this place to friends?? Maybe, but I'd want them to read the reviews first. Would I go back?? I'm not sure, but probably not. There are many more Marriott properties that are beautiful and have better service. It is really a shame that the service isn't better, because the location and rooms are amazing. As far as my rating goes, I wish there was an option to select "good". Because it was better than average, but not on the "very good" level.

Room Tip: Room 1658. Balcony and view of ocean and morning star beach.
4  Thank MLM1001

Thank you for taking the time to describe your experience. I was especially glad to hear you and your husband enjoyed your room, the harbor views, restaurants and the service of Roberta, Zane and Danielle. We will be certain to recognize them. Regarding the suggestions you made, we appreciate the opportunity to understand the ways that we can improve our product and service. Although the experience did not fully meet your expectations, we hope you will consider us once again for a future trip to St. Thomas.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Charlotte Amalie
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
Marriott's Frenchman's Cove
#1 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Been to Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort? Share your experiences!