“Not what it seems”

and up
Blackbeard's Castle, Skytsborg Tower, and Downtown Guided Walking Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: One of St. Thomas's most famous historical sites. A Walking Tour rich in History and Beauty. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Spectacular views, sparkling pools, life size pirates and more.
Long Island, New York
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Not what it seems”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Blackbeard's Castle is really not a castle but the grounds are the "castle" are so worth the visit. There is a pool at the base of the castle and you can swim in it if you bring your bathing suit. There is a bar with a beautiful view of St. Thomas. Be sure to pick up a bottle of Blackbeard's rum which you can sample before you buy. It is the only place where you will be able to buy it. We brought home 3 bottles and everyone raved that it was a really good rum. Stroll around the grounds and have your picture taken with a very congenial pirate. So glad that we did this excursion.

Visited April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Albany, New York
67 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“okay”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I was so looking forward to visiting this as a history major and one who enjoys learning about the past in particular on the subject of the high seas. As it turns out it nothing worth making special time out of my day to see it. What made it somewhat worthwhile were the stops along the way that told of local history and in particular the history and statues of various notorious pirates.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank VacationTony
West Haven, Connecticut
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Nice views”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Pirates are interesting to me, so I was excited to visit during our cruise. Took an open air safari type taxi from the dock and it took 10-15 minutes. We were greeted at the door by an employee with information about the site. There are 2 tours to choose from, just the top or all 3 levels. We chose all 3 I think it was 10 pp, but I was disappointed that the rum factory was closed. They did however have rum to sample in the shop. After walking up the tower and getting a major cramp in my leg on the way down, we were directed down near the pool area(which is open and you can jump in). There is also a photo stop, and the 3 queens sculpture. There were 2 homes to tour, one of which had 2 levels and many sculptures of pirates. There is a rest room on the property. The hotel was closed for renovations on our visit. There are many many stairs, but at the bottom you are near the water, shops and restaurants. We did purchase t-shirts and a beach cover up at very reasonable prices,(haggle).

Visited November 2013
2 Thank tellmemore2
McDonough, Georgia
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Nice view”
Reviewed November 8, 2013

This had a good view. It is part of a hotel. The courtyard was closed for repair but the manager let us in. He was nice. It should be open now it was 2 days from the opening day. We were not allowed to the top because it wasn't open yet. When it is open they let 8 people at a time up. It was hard to find by car. Take a taxi or walk. From the town you will pass other scenic attractions as you go up all the steps. If its hot and you are out of shape take a tour by taxi.I got some good pictures here of the harbor, tower and the cannons. Do not go up looking for a big fort type castle. It was small with a tower and a few cannons but I liked it.

Visited October 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Bummer”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was really excited to visit this castle and learn some history! I've been talking about it for months! My husband and I drove there, and walked up to the castle and it was closed :( I didn't realize a lot of attractions only open during heavy tourist seasons, or when cruise ships/yachts doc. I was disappointed to say the least. There were many others that were walking around trying to see the attraction. I'm sure it would've been amazing if it was open. Maybe next time.

Visited October 2013