“Excellent excursion!”

and up
St Thomas Mangrove Lagoon Kayak and Snorkel Tour
Ranked #3 of 41 Tours in Charlotte Amalie
More attraction details
Owner description: VI Ecotours offers multi-eco kayak, hike & snorkel adventures in three locations: St Thomas’ Mangrove Lagoon, Historic Hassel Island in the Virgin Islands National Park in St Thomas’ Charlotte Amalie Harbor and at Caneel Bay in St. John’s Virgin Islands National Park. Half day and full day tours with lunch depart daily from each location. Paddling & snorkeling instruction provided. Easy to paddle, sit-on-top kayaks. Professional guides. Fun for beginners and families.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Avondale, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Excellent excursion!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

This is actually the second time that we took this tour on a cruise that stopped in St. Thomas. Both times were excellent. This time we were cruising with friends and this was their first time. You start with kayaking to Cas Cay, followed by snorkeling and a hike out to the blow hole before kayaking back. Our guide was excellent. I would definitely recommend this trip and Ecotours to others.

1 Thank Bill_U8

Marion
“Awesome guides!”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My girlfriend and I took the Mangrove kayak/hike/snorkel tour of Cas Cay in January 2013. Like the other reviewers here, we started with a kayak ride through the mangroves, took a short hike which included a hermit crab race, did a little snorkeling, and then returned in the kayaks to our starting point. For anyone wanting to do something active on their trip to St. Thomas, I would certainly recommend this.

What I found to be the most impressive part of the tour were the guides. Jason and 'Zulu' were extremely knowledgeable and friendly, and did an amazing job of explaining about (and encouraging respect for) the local habitat, pointing out interesting features, and making sure we all had an enjoyable time. The photographer (Loralee?) was also fun and did a good job of capturing the moment for us. What makes a lot of vacations memorable are the people you meet along the way, and these three were some of the finest young people you'd ever want to meet.

The only reason I'm not giving an excellent rating for this tour is that the 'hike' was only a five minute walk to see an admittedly pretty blowhole, and the snorkeling, although fun, is best enjoyed by beginning snorkelers. I suppose it's all a matter of luck what kind of fish you run across in the water, but the terrain, other than around the mangrove roots, was mostly just mud and a few manmade objects to seek out. I personally had a close encounter with a barracuda which was interesting(!), but I know I was one of only a few that saw him. Still, I thought the tour was very good and if you're looking to expand your horizons and do something a little more active than just shopping or riding around in a sightseeing bus you should take this tour!!

Seattle, Washington
4 attraction reviews
“Excellent excursion”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My wife and I ( age 67 and 66 ) booked this excursion on board the Emerald Princess Jan. 19. A dozen of us from the ship were taken to the Mangrove Lagoon where we met our guide, long-haired Travis. We kayaked about a mile through the mangroves to Cos Cay, where we beached the boats, had a hermit crab race and hiked across the island to the blow hole. We hiked back and spent the rest of the time snorkeling.
All the while, Travis provided humorous and intelligent commentary on the flora and fauna.
We thoroughly enjoyed the entire experience and highly recommend this tour.
Get long-haired Travis if you can; he is a great guide!

Long Beach, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Fun Experience”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Me, my husband, dad, and sister booked this tour while on the Norwegian Epic. Overall it was a great experience. We kayaked in a 2 person kayak through the lagoon and then pulled the boats over to see hundreds of hermit crabs. The hike is a short walk to see the water crashing over the rocks. After the hike, we snorkeled. This was my second time snorkeling (my first time was last year in Hawaii). It was ok. There weren't that many fish or colorful things to see. It was my sister and dad's first time snorkeling and they loved it. It is great for beginners. After snorkeling, we kayaked back. There was a guy taking pictures of the whole event, and you can buy the CD for $45. Since we didn't bring our camera (didn't want to get it wet) we bought the CD. However, I just got home and put the CD in the computer and it's blank. I will be emailing the company and hopefully get the CD with pictures actually on it.

Overall, I'm glad we did this tour. It was beautiful and fun. I wish it was longer so you could enjoy more of it. I would recommend you wear water shoes, sunscreen, and bring a waterproof camera (you can even bring a disposable water proof camera). They provide lockers to store your stuff (such as ship card, id, money, etc). The "snack" is a bite size candy bar after snorkeling, but they do give you a bottle of water. There is a porta potty on site when you first get there.

Westminster, Maryland
“Genuine tourist attraction.”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I did the kayak hike snorkel tour a few months ago and have been meaning to write since I got back. This attraction is one of the few things to do on St. Thomas that is authentic to the locale. Why go shopping for stuff you don't need, or go for a drive in a tour bus just looking at stuff from afar when you can actually get up close and personal with the wildlife!? I saw a huge puffer fish and held a conch! My tour guides (Aubrey, Zulu, and Chris) were knowledgeable on the flora and fauna around us; they really seemed to love their jobs... And why wouldn't they?! Highly recommended.

Visited December 2012