“Awesome trip!”

Stormy Petrel & Pirate's Penny Motor Yachts
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: 42' Classic Motor Cruisers specializing in Private Charter & Per-Person Island Hopping Trips in the US & British Virgin Islands. We originated the Per-Person Island Hopping trip and have been sharing and perfecting the experience ever since. Our stops have been carefully chosen to offer a varied, exciting, and unhurried introduction to the B.V.I. Come, let us show you the neighborhood! Choose a Private Charter to explore the U.S. and B.V.I on your schedule, tailored to your activity preferences. Our highly experienced Captains can help you find the perfect route and stops for your day based on weather and sea conditions.Snorkel Gear, Floats & Float Vests, Fresh Water Shower & Full Open Bar on board. Comfortable sunning and shaded seating. Maximum 10 Passengers on Pirate's Penny and 12 Passengers on Stormy Petrel.
Charleston, South Carolina
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Awesome trip!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Husband & I booked on Pirate's Penny trying to avoid the over-crowded booze crews to the Bath's and JVD. Excellent choice! P.P. picked us up in Cruz Bay and along with 4 other couples and we headed out. The trip out to Virgin Gorda was beautiful. Galen, our Captain was hilarious and very knowledgeable of area history and folklore, and had a fun story for each place of interest we passed or stopped. First Mate Carrie was also very helpful and a lot of fun. At the Baths Galen and Carrie swam in with us and gave a great tour...there were many people trying to sneak in and listen to our tour. Carrie was helpful with those of us who were a little hesitant in climbing rocks, and took all of our pictures at each stop. Lunch at Cooper Island was called in and ready when we arrived! Beautiful location. JVD was a nice ending and we got to visit Soggy Dollar and float beside the boat with our painkillers. PP was very comfortable- plenty of room and had covered/uncovered seating. Carrie's rum punch was great! We saw the other big all day boats at JVD and it looked like a cattle call. PP was the perfect blend of a good atmosphere, comfortable boat and knowledgeable crew. We would definitely book again.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Simpsons22

Saint Charles, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Seriously... JUST DO IT!”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I am that girl who researches everything before vacation. Finding the perfect tour to the BVI was no different. Al and Carrie are the best, and I've never been treated so nice on an excursion. I had not really ever snorkled so I was nervous. Carrie made me feel absolutely comfortable, and while touring the baths, if you didn't want to go a certain way because it looked scary, you didn't have too. They always have an optional route. You can choose to jump of some rocks into the water too if you feel like it! Of course I did not, so I got to watch from the water.

Lunch was really good. We then stopped at the Soggy Dollar bar and got to swim for an hour. It was truly so much fun just to sit there in the water and take in all the scenery. I do wish we had more time to snorkle at the baths, but we just decided that we would take the other snorkle tour the offer the next time!

Seriously, just do it. They are wonderful!

ASK FOR the Al and Carrie tour!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) Tell them the Wollbrinks sent you. :)

Visited June 2013
1 Thank thewollbrinks
new york city
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Day of the Trip!”
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I usually take the new horizons tour to the BVI when in STT.. but I opted for the Pirates Penny based on the reviews. Great trip!! -- much more relaxed then the other charter boats. Al and his mate were lots of fun and have a great sense of humor :) I highly recommend the virgin gorda, jost, cooper island trip.

1 Thank NYCtraveler73
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“When things go wrong....”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

When things go wrong is when the truly best in service shine...

Planned a girls trip island hopping tour with Pirates Penny May 9th 2013. This was the only day that the majority of my group who were interested could go. Unfortunately God had other plans, as we woke up to an over cast day. By the time we made it on to the boat, it started storming. It was foggy so foggy you could barely make out St. John as we approached. Our captain Galen(sp?) and first mate Jodi advised that it would likely not clear and we should try again tomorrow. Indeed when we returned to the resort the weather stayed like that into the late afternoon

The next day we were rewarded for our patience. The weather started partly cloudy but improved remarkably throughout the day.

I have taken a group tour with stormy petrel before. We did the traditional Baths at Virgin Gorda, Cooper Island and Jost route. This time around I was eager to show my friends the Baths and Jost, but opted to skip out Coopers Island in favor of getting to snorkel Indians (we brought packed lunches).

It was like I took the entire tour the for the first time. Jodi was excellent in avoiding the crowds and taking us through a less crowded route through the Baths. I saw things at angles that I hadn't seen on the first tour. Despite arriving to a crowded island, we were able to take all the pictures that we wanted because we took different route- it as if we had the entire place to ourselves. She also recommended snorkeling around the side of the island back to the boats. That was surprisingly good. Lots of coral and a variety of multicolored fish. Who would have thought it so close to the crowded beach? I can not underscore how truly impressed I was with the first tour I took several years ago with stormy petrel.... Then to retake the same tour on private charter and have the experience only IMPROVE. I was impressed.. but wait that was only the first stop.....

Next snorkeling at the Indians. Had never done this before. I brought my own snorkel gear and was sooo looking forward to it. But right, as I got of the boat the fastner that holds my snorkel to my goggles popped loose and descended to the ocean floor. The captain Galen saw the whole thing happen and fashioned a quick solution - and I was able to snorkel without problems for the rest of trip. Saw beautiful soft and hard corals, multiple schools of fish. Jodi dove down and brought us up urchins and other critters to inspect. The waters here were a little choppy that day, but Jodi brought along a float mat that some of the weaker swimmers could hold on to, so they didn't have to miss out.

Ahhh and lastly Jost Van Dyke and Soggy Dollar. It was as if the skies truly opened up to shine light on the crown jewel. The water was still so amazingly clear- even years later. Deceptively clear. I got the pain killer of course which is the best one anywhere. This time tried the conch fritters -which were delicious. I think my friends got the fish tacos which they loved. We were able to sit and rest after a long day of snorkeling and exploring. We intended to walk down to Gertrudes and other nearby bars, but the spell of those waters captured us and there we stayed until it was time to swim back.

Loved it. Every bit of it. So glad I got to do this trip again and this time bring friends. So impressed a tour company can take a great memory and improve upon it. I felt truly spoiled. Why would anyone choose anyone else?

1 Thank Tarheelsbred
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent adventure on Pirate's Penny”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Took a day excursion on Pirate's Penny on our recent trip to St. John, USVI. Had a great time and lucked out with perfect weather. The Pirate's Penny picked us up at the National Park dock on St. John with a total of 10 people on the excursion. Many of the other boat excursions had larger boats, but that also means more passengers. At the Baths, you do need to be able/willing to shimmy through narrow crevices and walk on rocks, but isn't that why you take this type of excursion? Also, lunch at Cooper island was delicious (approx. $15 pp) and snorkeling at the caves, informative and exciting. Al and Carrie (the crew), were competent, funny and fun to hang out with for the day. They took extra care to make sure everyone was having a good time. This was not a "booze cruise," although there are plenty of drinks available. Also has an on board marine toilet, just in case you were wondering.