“The Fish of a Lifetime”

Double Header Sportfishing
Reviewed December 28, 2013

I have traveled all over the world fishing and this was by far the best and most amazing experience of our lives. The Captain Jonathan was awesome and extremely knowledgeable of the area and the conditions to catch certain types of fish. I actually felt as though we were with the USVI Monster much like the River Monster with regards to his knowledge. We caught an incredible amount of fish and had the time of our lives.
Doing it again and again

1  Thank drleanne

Reviewed December 22, 2013

This was our fifth time fishing with Double Header, fourth time with Captain Chris. He's awesome! My husband looks forward to fishing each year and it's the highlight of the trip for him. This year they caught mahi, tuna, rainbow runner (which is SO good to eat), barracuda and snapper. Highly recommend fishing with them, especially Chris!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Woke up at our sugarbay resort to find it very windy, thought the fishing would end up being horrible. My wife and I went to tge dock for the 2:00 - 6:00 fishing trip. We met our guide Tyler. He said it was too windy to go to open water but said we could do some inshore fishing instead and try to get on some fish. Indeed, he was right we caught mutton red snapper, berricudas and some nice fish. My wife hooked on a decent fish and it got attacked and broken off by a shark. My first reaction was... Could you set me up a shark rig on a big pole. Sure enough within 15 min or so I landed the biggest fish of my lifetime which was a Caribbean coral shark. Five feet long and about 60 pounds. I'm so glad that he was able to switch to a species without a blink of an eye to please me. Best trip ever, as well as guide service/ capt Tyler was amazing. Well done DOUBLE HEADER!!! Best guide service in st. Thomas area.
Happy customers,
Bradley and Cassy Danek

Reviewed October 5, 2013

We chartered a 6 hour trip (1pm-7pm) after several positive recommendations on the Trip Advisor forum. We arrived at Sapphire Beach Marina 15 minutes early and two young gentlemen, Matt the captain and Ryan the first mate were prepping and stocking the boat to go. We took a few quick photos, asked them to pack plenty of beer, discussed our inshore/offshore options and we were on our way on the 40' Double Header. The boat and equipment were clean and in good condition with a small head below.

Ryan began tieing on artificial lures to all our poles as we were cruising out to sea. It was our understanding that we would be using live bait which their website states that they specialize in, but this was not the case. Then Ryan casted our lures, hooked up the outriggers and we trolled and waited. Each time a fish was on we took turns reeling them in. This went on for hours trolling and waiting with very little conversation from the crew.

I guess we had a different idea of what deep sea fishing would be. We were expecting more hands on baiting, casting and feeling your pole bend with a fish on! Matt and Ryan were atop on the flybridge for most of the trip, while we sat in the boat and figured out it was okay to help ourselves to the ice chest and a beer...no offers for service was made to any of our party. To Ryan's credit, he did assist anytime we had a fish on. Just felt the two guys could use a lesson in customer socializing, sharing their knowledge of fishing and interacting a little more with their guests aboard the boat.

We did catch several barracuda which we threw back, a nice blue runner, a 5' wahoo and several black fin tuna. Unfortunately we ran out of ice and beer midafternoon and this really put a bad taste in our mouths after telling them we were beer drinkers. When we arrived back at the marina that evening, we requested our 20# of fish and Ryan began cleaning, although reluctantly. I don't know what his idea of 20 pounds is, but feel we were shorted. There were several people on the dock waiting to buy the fish when we came in. I know these guys sold the fish for some extra pocket money...grrrr

Since we have returned home, I checked Double Header's website, and neither one of these guys names are mentioned on their website. I feel they may have been either part timers or sub contracted for our trip, who acted like this was just another job and not thrilled to be sharing their tropical island experiences. They did not give us the type of customer service we expected for $950+$150 tip+the money they pocketed for selling our fish. Next time we'll know to ask how many years experience the captain and mate have. Lesson learned!

3  Thank pednurse
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We chartered a Double Header boat for a day of deep sea fishing and had an awesome experience. The crew was friendly and very knowledgeable. They made us feel comfortable using the equipment. Their boats are in very good condition and have all of the fishing equipment you could possibly need. They even set the poles up for you with bait. Fish didn't bite until the afternoon, but when they did, we caught several. Our teenage son came very close to reeling in an 80 lb. yellow fin tuna that he battled with for 15 minutes before it loosened itself from the hook just before entering the boat. We also saw some lemon sharks so that was fun. We got great pictures and video with the barracuda that we caught. Very fun day for a family, friends or couples! Awesome company - definitely the one to use for fishing!