“Confusion over and then cancellation of day trip to Jost Van Dyke”
Review of Dolphin Water Taxi

Dolphin Water Taxi
More attraction details
Owner description: Hi Everyone! Dolphin Water Taxi is the only USVI / BVI water taxi provider able to deliver guests from the St Thomas airport to ANY destination in the BVI. We specialize in door-to-door transfers of guests arriving at STT and travelling to charter docks and hotels in the BVI for their vacation. If the public ferry connection is too tight, if your flight doesn't arrive early enough to make it, or if you just prefer not to deal with the large 150 passenger crowds and delays, please allow us to serve your needs. We operate from St Thomas to Tortola as late as 8pm nightly. And we help with BVI customs entry clearance! Happy travels! [Dolphin Water Taxi is now the largest private water taxi service in the entire Caribbean, and rated, "Best Water taxi in the VI", by the St Thomas Daily News.]
Hutchinson Island, Florida
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Confusion over and then cancellation of day trip to Jost Van Dyke”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

My wife and I spent our honeymoon on St Thomas last week and made a couple of trips to the BVI as part of our week's stay. I made a reservation the week before online for 12/26 and got a prompt replay from Greg that he received our reservation and informing us of the 6 person minimum for the trip. He asked if we were available on 12/24 or 12/27 and I replied that we were open on 12/27. Greg said that he would keep us informed. On 12/24, I received an email from Greg that we were to meet our captain at Molly Malone's in Red Hook at 8:30 for our day trip to JVD. My next communication was a text at 8:30 PM on 12/26 from Greg saying he was a bit confused about our reservation. He said they were departing at 7:30 and 10:00 and wanted to know if we were going. We then went back and forth via text with Greg saying the 8:30 AM departure was for a one way trip only. I responded that we had booked for a full day and asked Greg to call me. Greg said we could come back on the ferry and that he was on a plane from the states and would lose reception soon, which he did. I texted him saying we would cancel and to confirm my Amex card was not charged. I got no response via text, but did get an email a hour later saying that a tentative group of 4 dropped out and offered me a reduced rate for a one way trip. I declined and said that it was unfortunate that the cancellation notice was too late for us to book another day trip. We ended up taking the Ferry from Red Hook both ways and enjoying a nice day at the Soggy Dollar. For a company with web based reservations, I would have expected more efficient and timely notifications of changes in trip plans.

Visited December 2013
5 Thank mdfl87

Syracuse, Utah
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Late night trip for 12 people to Tortola from St. Thomas”
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have to say after a long day and an airline that has messed things up more than I can count, you can count on Dolphin Water Taxi. Greg and his crew went out of their way to get us from St Thomas through the BVI Customs and Immigration to our boats in Tortola. This was no easy task considering our flight was supposed to get in St. Thomas at 8pm and we ended up getting in after 10pm. The other thing was there was 12 of us with enough luggage for 2 weeks on a couple of Catamarans. If you need to get somewhere in and around St Thomas, St John and the BVI's you should call Greg at Dolphin Water Taxi. Thanks you guys.

1 Thank Jed C
Houston, Texas
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“worth every cent!”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We wanted to do something in between the public ferry and a full blown tour to get to Jost since we have taken quite a few tours before. Dolphin fits the bill perfectly. Capt Kemel is one of the nicest young men you will ever want to meet. He takes care of customs and lets you take as much time as you want at Foxys before heading over to Soggy Dollar. Never rushed, very laid back but a fast boat. Owner needed 2 more people to fill his requirement but they canceled at the last minute. He did not charge more although he probably could have since we said we wanted to go regardless. Little more than the public ferry but worth it in time saved on the trip, customs hassles and cab to the beach since Capt Kemel took us to both places we wanted to go. Completely positive experience.Thanks Captain Kemel !! Great day with you.

1 Thank David B
Sedona, Arizona
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great crew, wonderful experience”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

For our little family reunion, 4 couples, we wanted to incude a day trip to Jost. After a lot of time searching the internet, I contacted Gregg at Dolphin Water taxi. We wanted a private charter and he was happy to accomodate us. Prior to the trip, he made sure I had the Captains contact number, and the Captain had mine. Sure enough, that morning Capt Jerry texted me and we were off, right on time. In addition to Capt Jerry, the first mate was Jamie and together they were a great crew. After clearing us through BVI customs - they did all the work, all we had to do was stroll down to Foxy's, buy some shirts and drink some rum. We even met Foxy himself.

Once Jerry and Jamie had us all cleared, we boarded our boat and head to White Bay, home to the Soggy Dollar and several other places. Jerry and Jamie got us in close to shore, tied up the boat and the entire day was ours to spend on the sugar sand shores of White Bay. When it was time to head back to St John, Jerry and Jamie made sure we arrived at the US Customs dock in Cruz Bay ahead of the hordes on the large ferry and we were in and out in no time.

Our entire group had a fantastic time, thanks to Dolphin Water taxi and our wonderful Capt and First Mate. Thank you Jerry and Jamie.

1 Thank OrcasParrothead
Boston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Dolphin Rocks!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

My wife and I were headed to Jost and decided to use them. Good decision. A taxi met us at the airport w/ cold beers and water. Greg, our captain/owner had us on the boat with two other fun seekers and on our way in no time and took care of all the customs procedures once we arrived on Jost. The only thing that went wrong was getting absolutely schooled in Ring Toss at the Soggy Dollar by the captain himself later! Shameful display.

High Points: The people, the boat, the service, 24/7 rum!

Low Points: Low complete level in Ring Toss