“This was a great cruise!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Independent Sea Tours

Independent Sea Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to the best trip of your vacation! Begin your day with an excellent tour of the National Park and Trunk Bay Snorkeling in St.John, U.S. Virgin Islands. Independent Sea also provides private ferry service, caters to groups and wedding parties. The fun doesn't end there on the weekend we go deep sea fishing. Call us today and book an awesome trip with us!
Baltimore, MD
“This was a great cruise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Capt. Jack does give a great narrative about the history and point out many things of interest. The crew is friendly as well. We did a separate tour on the island and then returned via Capt. Jack's boat. And I am sorry I forgot the crew woman's name, but on the way back to St. Thomas, she dispenses a GREAT RUM PUNCH. St. John was the best in our opinion and the ride back and forth was fun and interesting.

Visited December 2013

upstateNY
52 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Excellent Tour to St. John”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

We booked a shore excursion during our stop at St. Thomas to go to St. John for a cruise of the beaches and drop at Cruz Bay. Captain Jack was wonderful, great narrative on the way over with lots of information, stories, and generally a great time. The extra cruise around the island pointing out the beaches, etc was great, really glad we did that. On the trip back to St. Thomas, music and fantastic rum punch. I recommend this for everyone wanting to escape the Shopping extravaganza.

Visited November 2013
South Jersey
57 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 128 helpful votes
“Good informative transport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

We sailed with Captain Jack as an excursion while on a recent cruise on Royal Caribbean's Oasis. We were docked in St. Thomas and used the tour to get over to St. John. Captain Jack took us directly to Cruz Bay from our dock on the western side of the harbor at Charlotte Amalie. The 38 minute ride included a good deal of narration by Captain Jack which was quite informative. As our other option would have been a taxi to Red Hook for the "on the hour" ferry to St. John Captain Jack's tour though a little more money seemed like the best way to go. We docked at Cruz Bay and took waiting taxis to Trunk Bay for a beach afternoon. The return trip to St Thomas included punch , both with or without alcohol. I recommend Independent Sea Tours as a good alternative to standard taxi/ ferry options.

Visited August 2013
Windsor, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Crew”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Took this tour on a recent Oasis of the Seas cruise. Our trip out to St. John was enhanced by good commentary and stories about the the goings on of well known people like John Ehrlichman of Watergate fame, Christopher Columbus (apparently not a skilled sailor) and Timothy Leary who was doing CIA LSD experiments on Dolphins funded by the CIA. We then took a short walking tour and learned much about things in the sleepy town of of St. John; and then took a taxi out to Trunk Bay for a swim. The trip back featured unlimited rum punch!
Would recommend this tour, priced at under 50 dollars. Visit them ma www.independentseatours.com

Visited August 2013
Louisville, Kentucky
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Disappointing Weather Makes For Bad Outing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2013

Disclaimer - I'll put this up front, because I'm well aware that a tour operator cannot control the weather. They can, however, be informed of the current and upcoming weather in the area and take steps to ensure that their guests have an enjoyable experience despite the weather. Failing that, they can cancel the tour and refund their guests money.

My family was in St. Thomas aboard the Freedom of the Seas on 6/19/13. We had booked the St. John's Coastal Cruise through the ship, which was operated by Independent Sea Tours with Captain Jack. My wife and I had been to St. Thomas once before, but had never made it to St. John, and I was really looking forward to this tour after hearing from so many people how beautiful St. John is.

The day started ominously, as the ship was delayed getting into port because of the local weather/seas. Once we finally docked, it was announced over the ship intercom that a few of the tours for that day had been cancelled due to the weather. Our tour was not among the cancellations, though looking back I believe it definitely should have been.

Once getting off the ship, we were ushered to the end of the pier where there tour boat waited. The water in the harbor was very rough, and the tour boat was bobbing roughly - the first and second mates had to have a good grasp of each person as they boarded to keep them from falling. Since the boat was going to be full, we were sent up to the top (open) deck. On a normal day, this would be ideal since you would have a 360-degree view of the beautiful scenery. In the mist and rain and fog, not so much.

Once everyone was on and we departed, things didn't get any better. The harbour was rough, and once we got out of the protected waters it went downhill very quickly. I'm no nautical expert, but I'd estimate the swells going across from St. Thomas to St. John where 8' or more, which was very rough on this small boat. Couple that with the fact that it was now pouring down rain, and those of us on the top deck were soaked, cold and miserable the whole time.

After we arrived in St. John, several folks got off to go on other excursions (there were three separate tours that used this boat to go across to St. John), and at that time we moved downstairs to the enclosed deck to continue our "Coastal Tour". From upstairs, we could hear all of the captain's commentary about various points of interest around the island, and despite the weather that piece was quite informative and enjoyable. There was no functioning speaker on the lower deck though, so we weren't able to hear anything for the remaining portion of the trip. We were inside, with steamed up windows and rain and fog outside so there wasn't really anything to see anyway, plus we couldn't hear the commentary on the tour. Not a good combination!

To their credit, the crew did their best to try and keep spirits upbeat and keep folks comfortable. This was a huge task, given the weather, but they did their best with it.

Once in St. John, we had to bag our planned outing to Trunk Bay because the weather was just not going to cooperate. We stayed in town for the 3 hours until our boat returned, as that was prepaid and the only other option would be to take the public ferry/taxi back at our own additional expense.

On the plus side, we did find a nice restaurant bar in Cruz Bay, Spyglass, where we stopped to have some drinks and food. The view from their terrace was nice on this day, and I'm sure it would be spectacular on any day that had sunshine :)

Again - I know the tour operator cannot control the weather. In this case, though, they had to have had information about how bad the weather was going to be, and should have cancelled the tour as so many other operators did. Had I had the information about the weather and the seas that the cruise line and the tour operator certainly had, I would certainly not have taken the excursion - even if it meant I had to take a short-cancellation penalty. As it was, the cruise line refunded 20% of the tour price when I spoke with them about it. My only hope would be going forward they would proactively look out for the enjoyment of their paying guests a bit more.

Visited June 2013