“Great food, gorgeous view, and a beautiful setting”
Review of Blue Orchid

Blue Orchid
Ranked #44 of 267 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Globally inspired, fresh, creative fine dining in a gorgeous setting.
Reviewed March 12, 2012

We ate here after visiting the gardens at The Great House where this restaurant is located. Absolutely amazing views of Magen's Bay, Hans Lollick, Hull Bay, St John. My bf and I sat at the bar as we hadn't made a reservation (we will next time, though!) we split three appetizers. All were delicious, but I thought their version of the crab cake was just divine. It was more like a stack with a generous layer of crab on top of breadcrumbs with avacado and drizzles with a lemon aeoli. Wow!! The restaurant itself is beautiful, not just the view from it, too. We will definitely be going back. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed March 6, 2012

The Blue Orchid restaurant has just recently opened on the lush grounds of St. Peter's Great House, on the north side. it is relatively easy to find, and there is plenty of parking. The path to the restaurant is well lit. The restaurant itself is extremely comfortable, and well decorated. The food was excellent on both of our visits. We expected the prices to be higher than they were. Every course we had, from appetizer to dessert, was very good. Reservations are suggested, but they will try to accomodate drop-ins. We will return soon.
(BTW, do not confuse this with the Blue Orchid at Gallows Point - they are two different restaurants).

Reviewed March 2, 2012

I am visiting my friend here in St. Thomas and she took me to eat here....am so glad she did! I never would have found this hidden place on my own! The grounds are beautiful as is the restaurant itself. We ate at the bar and had a braised rib-eye and potato appetizer that was literally one of the best bites of food EVER! I had a seafood mix in a light broth which was so delicious I wanted to slurp it down. I also tried my friend's swordfish and it was perfectly prepared. The owner was sitting at the bar and ordered a tuna tartare and let us have some.....I could have inhaled it despite being so full from dinner. We got desserts to go and may I say the bread pudding was better than any I have had in the States! The only detraction of the evening was our waitress. We waited and waited between refills on our water and kept having to ask for the same items over and over again. When I gave her my credit card she left it totally unattended at the register which I found to be unacceptable. The hostess was lovely, the owner was so generous, and the food just delightful so the waitress would not deter me from highly recommending this restaurant and I'd definitely return!

Reviewed March 1, 2012

The Blue Orchid at Saint Peters Greathouse on St. Thomas has been open only a couple of months and we have been only twice, but it is already a favorite.

Ambience: The dining room is well-appointed and located on the grounds of St. Thomas Botanical Gardens. Go a little before dark if you can and spend some time walking the grounds with the beautiful plants, ponds, and gardens as well as the ocean vistas. And a rarity on St. Thomas - there is a huge parking lot!

Food: Our party of four on both occasions were impressed with the food, particularly for a new restaurant. The food does not try to be exotic but is fresh and prepared with different flavors and combinations that work fairly well such as the Guiness marinated steak, to excellent, such as the snapper. Most recently I had the fried green tomatoes on goat cheese for an appetizer and the snapper for entree. Both were excellent and I would order both again. My husband had the ribeye steak-stuffed potato appetizer which we both thought was mediocre and probably would not order again. On our first visit for my entree I had the ribeye steak marinated in Guiness which was ok, but I did not like it as well as just a grilled steak and would probably not order it again. I liked my husbands veal saltimbocca (excellent) and would order that again and would also try the other steak on the menu (not the Guiness - marinated) next time. (While I enjoy a good beer, I guess I'm more of a wine drinker and marinater). The reason I got the Guiness-marinated steak is because it came with the home-made onion rings. The onion rings were wonderful - just the way I like - sliced very thin and just dusted lightly in flour and deep fried. The chef accommodated our request for an order of them even though it is not on the menu..

The Bread: I have a definite addiction to bread and must have some nice bread with my entree. The bread at Blue Orchid was nice - French bread, soft on the inside with a crisp and tender crust. It was served with 3 separate condiments - olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and a little dish of salt crystals - nice, but a good butter would have been nice as well. If I remember correctly I did ask for bread when I ordered, as so many restaurants on this island do not offer bread unless you ask for it or order it separately. It was brought right away, before the appetizers, a little too early because, unfortunately, it disappeared quickly except the little piece I was saving to go with my entree. Without asking if we wanted more bread, the waiter just whisked away the bread plates including the piece I was saving to go with my meal. Of course he returned my plate and brought more bread immediately when I protested! My preference would be that the bread come just shortly before or with the entree so I do not have to protect my share from my husband, tablemates or the diligent waiter until the entree comes. (Don't get me wrong - I am happy if the bread appears right from the beginning as long as it keeps coming throughout the meal. But a piece or two with the meal is really just enough).

For dessert, both the chocolate bread pudding and the chocolate cake were really good. The mango cobbler was served warm with vanilla ice cream but the cobbler was just too bland for me who grew up in the south on really buttery and flavorful hot apple, peach and berry cobblers. Maybe add some really tangy rhubarb to the mango??

The Service: The service was friendly, attentive, and accommodating. Our waiter brought without asking enough glasses for all four of us to have a taste of the three different wines we enjoyed.

(The 4-top tables are a little crowded when you get 3 wine glasses per person plus water, bread plates and entrees on the table, but we managed).

Finally - the wine: The wine list at the Blue Orchid is not extensive but there are some reasonably good choices, mostly ranging in cost from about $40 to $100 per bottle for the nicer wines. We brought 2 bottles of wine with us and purchased one bottle from the restaurant. On our first visit we were pleasantly surprised that the corkage fee was only $12.50. With that reasonble corkage fee and the good food, we quickly decided that this could become a regular favorite restaurant for us as well as a great place to bring our many friends and visitors who enjoy fine wines. We consider $15 or less per bottle a reasonable corkage fee. Needless to say, we were disappointed to find on the second visit that the corkage fee has been increased to $25 per bottle which we consider to be fairly outrageous. As we eat out several times a week, we just cannot justify on a daily and weekly basis the high corkage fees or the frequent purchase of the nicer wines we like with the restaurant mark-up. It looks like we will be have to enjoy our nicer wines with our appetizers at home with friends before going out to the Blue Orchid, as we often do before going out to other fine dining restaurants on St. Thomas, most of which also charge the $25 corkage fees. While we would prefer to just start out at the restaurant and sample different soups, salads, appetizers and entrees to pair with some better wines, the good thing is that we and our friends usually do end up spending much less money on food and drink when we have already enjoyed at home the better wines that we could not afford on a regular basis at restaurant prices. Usually having had enough alcohol to drink and being already partially filled up with cheese and crackers or some accompanying appetizers, we are usually quite happy with just a glass of water or at most one glass of table wine and just an entree for dinner.

I would highly recommend giving this new delightful restaurant a try.

1  Thank SandyUSVI
Reviewed February 28, 2012

My wife and I have been seasonal residents of St Thomas for more than 15 years. The St Peter Great House and Botanical Gardens is a well known landmark..but now they have actually transformed the 17th century Manor House into a wonderful, warm restaurant and bar. Go early, get a cocktail and go up to their observation deck, we could see all the way to Tortola in the BVI. The grounds are pristine with orchids and wild ginger everywhere. The food and service was world class with VERY reasonable prices and large portions as well. A great place and one we will most assuredly frequent often.

2  Thank JL_Gibbs