“Beautiful view”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Beautiful view”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

My husband and I recently visited St. Thomas for our wedding. We had our welcome party here for 25 guests. Planning the menu and party was easy to do from home. The manager was great to work with and was always quick to respond to my emails.
The view here is amazing. I would highly recommend visiting around sunset~ you won't be disappointment.
We decided on a buffet option for our welcome party. The food was just okay, but in my opinion it's hard to get amazing food on a buffet. If I were to plan the party again I would chose a plated dinner option. The service was great and was very attentive. However, I did request through the manager that my guest be offered only beer or wine in terms of alcohol drinks. When we arrived the staff was suggesting pricey mixed drinks to our guests. At the end of the day it wasn't that big of a deal because everyone had a great time at the welcome party.
The only disappointing aspect about our experience was no follow-up contact with the manager. She was off the night of our party and it would of been nice to receive a short email inquiring about our experience.
I would definitely recommend this place and plan to go back on my next trip to St. Thomas.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Shines78

Boston, Massachusetts
“Blue Moon has morphed into an even better restaurant”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

The previous restaurant at this location, Blue Moon, was always one of our favorites on the island. Sunset Grille is even better. The location is excellent, and now with lights illuminating the beach. The wine list, although not quite as extensive, is outstanding and fairly priced. And we found the cuisine and service excellent.

• Visited February 2013
ALynes03, General Manager at Sunset Grille - Secret Harbour Resort, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Clark00,
Thank You kindly for your compliments regarding the renovation of the old blue moon into our Sunset Grille. The St. Thomas Restaurant Group has made a conscience effort to improve the cuisine and ambiance of many beach resort dining venues on St. Thomas and it is most humbly appreciated when the time and hard work spent improving something that was wonderful before into truly magical is recognized. We are constantly striving to improve and as with most things time is of the essence. We felt the gorgeous beach we choose to sit on top of should be highlighted and the lighting was a great way to allow those gorgeous waves to enhance the dining experience. So glad you enjoyed your visit and we look forward to seeing you next time your travels bring you to St. Thomas.
Coral Gables, Florida
“Great food, great service, great view”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have been coming back to Secret Harbor for a few days to a week or so every winter for the past ten years always wondering will it still be as good as last year? And every year discovering that it's even better than the year before. The Sunset Grille is the restaurant at Secret Harbor and it is superb. I've lived in New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, and Boston and travelled throughout Europe and Asia and I can say without qualification that the food and service at the Sunset Grille are excellent. Every once in awhile during my stay I'm tempted for the sake of variety to take a cab to another restaurant on the island. And while I've had some good meals on St. Thomas at other restaurants, after one evening away I see no point in taking a long cab ride for a meal when a great restaurant is a short walk from my room, and have the rest of my breakfasts, lunches, and dinners at the Sunset Grille. The cuisine is interesting, attractive to the eye, served in a timely fashion, and reasonably priced. The restaurant is right on the ocean and the evening back drop of moon, stars, and restful surf sounds add it your enjoyment. The wine list is excellent and reasonably priced. I asked the waiter one night at dinner for a substitution that frankly required going quite out of their way. He checked with the kitchen, said it would be no problem whatsoever but would I mind paying an extra three dollars. I said not at all. Frankly I expected them to charge me more and the dish I was served so was well worth the surcharge. Someone wrote a review that was titled "Excellent for lunch and supper." I would add breakfast to that list and one of my favorites is their rock shrimp omelet. So if you're looking for gracious, friendly service, delicious food, and a relaxing atmosphere, the best kept secret on St. Thomas is at Secret Harbor and it's name is the Sunset Grille.

• Visited February 2013
Dear SanfordEvans,
Thank You so very much for taking the time to write on your recent experience with us at Sunset Grille and Cruzan Beach Club. It is rewarding to hear a season regular finds the hard work and time spent on renovation and improvement of our venue to be consistently more appealing. I can only believe next year will be even more so!! We are constantly working on building our business to fit the demand of our yearly and one time visitors alike. Again Thank You So very much for your kind words of encouragement. We look forward to seeing you next time here at the best kept secret...Sunset Grille.
Warm Regards,
Madison, Connecticut
“Excellent place for lunch and supper”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Pretty much went thru the entire menu last week. Ate lunch there Wed-Sunday and had something different every day. Excellent cheeseburger—they cook it to order w/ a choice of cheeses. Had a nice chicken caesar salad the last day—very nicely prepared. Best lunch I had was the pulled pork sandwich w/ cole slaw topping—don't miss it.

Staff is attentive, although you almost never see the same wait staff twice.

Bar is full and you pay only for the first iced tea, although this ISN'T the policy w/ soft drinks.

Prices are comparable to other restaurants' on the east end of St. Thomas.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank monocle
Seaford, Delaware
“A PERFECT EVENING WENT SOUR VERY QUICKLY”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We are great fans of the "East End Boys" and their small group of restaurants on Saint Thomas. Prior to the evening in question, we had been to this property twice this year. Once for a delicious BBC at the bar and had a great lunch at the Cruzan Beach Club. It is always enjoyable talking to Brandon, the bar manager. We had reservations for dinner at the Grill and we were given a great table at the end of the dining room. Quiet night, we were the first table to arrive and when we left there were only about six other couples having dinner. Our waiter was Fabian who was new to the island but had worked as a server in Seattle. I have food allergies so I asked what was in the Mornay sauce and he did not know. I would have expected a seasoned waiter to know the answer to this question. We order an appetizer and entrees along with great wines by the glass. A couple sat down next to us and it was their first night of their first trip to Saint Thomas. We noticed that they were given an aperitif which we had not received. We asked Fabian and he told us that this was given to regular customers. FIRST STRIKE. After I explained that this could not be the reason, he admitted that the kitchen forgot to send ours out. Enjoyed our meal. As we were finishing, the same couple was served an intermezzo. When I looked at Fabian, he said he knew I would ask and sent over the manager Andrea. She said it was because THEY ordered well done steaks and it was taking quite long. As we got up to leave, the same couple next to us were eating fish and chicken. STRIKE TWO...I asked to speak to Andrea again. She said it was not them but the order before them that held up the entire kitchen. This group of restaurants know how to run a business and one order of well done steaks with only six filled tables should cause havoc in the kitchen. I do not care about having an aperitif or intermezzo but I do care about being treated fairly and not told stories that management thinks I will believe. Food on the island is expensive so why should I spend my dollars in a place that treats customers in this fashion. Andrea did realize that she made a blunder and offered to buy us our meal the next time we went to the grill. I was so disappointed in the service, I did not return during our extended stay on the island. We return every winter but I doubt that the Sunser Grill will be on my to-do list.

• Visited January 2013
ALynes03, General Manager at Sunset Grille - Secret Harbour Resort, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
First allow me to apologize once again for your less than stellar experience at Sunset Grille with Fabian and myself. We are somewhat embarrassed that you and your guest did not receive the complimentary amuse bouche that is a standard element of every guest experience at Sunset Grille. With regard to the service the intermezzo course, at the time of your visit – we would utilize this as a tool to manage the pace of a guest experience that might be impacted by a delay in the kitchen. I am truly sorry if I was not able to effectively communicate that at the time of your experience. We take every case of a dissatisfied guest as an opportunity to learn and grow. As a result of the details surrounding your evening with us, we have adapted our service to include the intermezzo course in the service experience of every guest who in enjoying a starter course prior to their entrée. Additionally, we have taken a fresh look at the content of our pre-service meetings with our team members – putting a strong focus on ensuring that our staff is educated in not only the details of our menu, but also with an understanding of classic culinary terms and techniques and how those things might translate into modern cuisine. We have implemented a more in depth menu training program with our staff at Sunset Grille resulting in with a much more well-rounded base of knowledge.
I am pleased to hear that you have enjoyed past experiences at our sister restaurants including our own Cruzan Beach Club. That being said, I would greatly value to the opportunity to regain your trust and allow me and my team to create the first of many wonderful memories to come at Sunset Grille.