“Sunset Grille - Nice View...Less than Perfect Evening”

Sunset Grille - Secret Harbour Resort
Ranked #34 of 275 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 7, 2013

If you live in STT [or any place else], it's easy to keep going back to your favorite restaurants. So, last weekend, we decided to try the fairly new Sunset Grille at Secret Harbour for the first time. The Grille is the primary restaurant [breakfast, lunch, dinner] for the guests and residents of the Secret Harbour resort/condominium community. Finding the entrance/front desk for the restaurant from the parking lot proved to be like a maze. We were finally seated at a lovely table overlook the beach and the water. The decor was nice and done in lovely colors. The background music [which might have also been playing at the Beach Bar], however was very annoying and intrusive to the ambiance.

The service staff seemed to be knowledgeable enough about the menu to answer the few questions that we had about the menu. I started with the lobster spring roll and my husband had the shrimp tempura [which came on a skewer]. Both were pretty good--but a little greasy.

Service pace is a huge issue here! Before we had completed the amuse buche from the chef, our appetizers arrived. We had hardly finished the appetizer before the entree was being delivered. We decided to slow the service down and told the server that we weren't quite ready. This probably wasn't the best idea because I had ordered a small filet with a prawn and my partner had ordered the lobster tail. When we indicated that we were ready, the steak was dry, the tiny poor shrimp was like rubber, the sauce was hardened and couldn't even be pierced with a fork! The potato gratin was too salty and hard. The only thing under-cooked on my plate was the asparagus. It may as well have been raw. The lobster tail was OK, but drawn butter was available only on request.

The restaurant was not full even though it was a Saturday evening, so we didn't see any reason for the staff/kitchen to rush us through like we were in a fast-food drive through!

The Sunset Grille is a cross-island drive for us. Would we go back given the food, ambiance and rushed service? NO! We're going back to our favorites!

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were here last year for the "Grand Opening" of this replacement for the beloved Blue Moon. We hoped they would improve but sorry to say they have not come far. Lunch is just boring and uninspired. Pizza with "home made dough" is one step above Bobboli supermarket quality. BBQ chicken sandwich was a frozen breast, grilled with what tasted like Kraft BBQ sauce slathered on, and if you are going to waste calories on French Fries go to McDonalds - these are soggy and limp. Cruise Ship passengers watch out! Paid off taxi drivers will promote this place but it won't meet your expectations if you're used to the gourmet food on the ships. Sorry to say the nice location is just not worth going to for this ordinary food!

1  Thank NYtravelingcouple
ALynes03, General Manager at Sunset Grille - Secret Harbour Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

NYtravelingcouple –
Thank you so much for your recent post. I am sorry to hear that your
experience at our sister restaurant Cruzan Beach Club left you so
underwhelmed. Your comments regarding the quality of our menu
selections are certainly taken to heart. Quality and consistency of
food and service are absolutely the most important factors in the
success or failure of a restaurant. We continually monitor and react
to the feedback of our guests in order to better serve our guests in
the future … So thank you for assisting in that process.
As for “paid off taxi drivers”, I can honestly tell you that this is
absolutely not the case. I can assure you that we offer no financial
reward to any taxi driver for bringing their guests to enjoy the beach
at Secret Harbour or our restaurants. In fact, the contrary would
make more sense—the livelihood of the taxi drivers is largely
dependent on their passengers having a great experience. So why would
it benefit them to make a sub-standard recommendation?
I understand that you miss The Blue Moon … we get that sentiment from
time to time. However the vast majority of times these guests walk
away from their experience with us with a fresh outlook and a great
appreciation for what we have accomplished. I do wish that you would
give us the opportunity to win your trust and begin creating new memories for you.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

The place is very pretty, right on the beach. I was first disappointed bc the online menu said they had foie gras and they didn't. They then had a fire show on the beach where a woman did a dance with fire. It was kinda goofy. The lobster martini roll was like a deep fried eggroll, not sure there was any lobster at all. The sauce was awesome which we put on the calamari salad which was terribly bland. The sea bass is probably the best I have ever had. It came out piping hot and had amazing flavor. The strawberry creme brulee was aweful, tasted like it was made with strawberry syrup and the consistency sucked. And our server spoke practically in a whisper the entire time, LOL! Would not go there again, but would get the sea bass to go for sure. The beach is awesome there too with great snorkeling.

1  Thank mmmech39
ALynes03, General Manager at Sunset Grille - Secret Harbour Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear mmmech39,
First let me thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent experience with us at Sunset Grille. I am please to hear you enjoyed our beautiful outdoor dining atmosphere and our delectable sea bass entree. The sea bass is one of our top sellers as is our lobster martini roll which is why I was surprised to hear you did not enjoy it. Our apologies for falling short with the lobster roll and creme brulee. The creme brulee changes daily at our venue and the strawberry was a first and last. A main point of concern for me is how you may have come across last seasons menu? The current website which is linked here, face book and on our marketing materials it is current and up to date. If you would kindly contact me so I could have any helpful information about this it would be much appreciated. Again I hope you will again dine with us as so we may show you our appreciation and flare for culinary excellence the next time you visit St. Thomas.
Regards,

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Dined at this place two times during my week stay in St. Thomas. They are famous for the ahi nachos, so I had to try them and they certainly didn't disappoint! The scenery is beautiful here for a romantic dinner. The sevice is wonderful and the food sublime...what more do you need?
Also went on our last day for lunch at the beach bar....another fabulous meal... would definitely return if I were to visit again!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Had a wonderful overall experience at the Sunset Grill. Food was fabulous, as well as the service. Wish we had booked our dinner reservations earlier for the sunset. Will keep this in mind for next time.
Our server Rico was very pleasant, attentive and had a rather interesting history.
Highly recommend!