“Great place to try off the beaten path”
Review of Thirteen

Thirteen
Ranked #25 of 268 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 4, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed a meal at Thirteen last evening. We had been there before when we were in St Thomas three years ago. The meal was as good as I remembered from before.
We had a lamb chop lollipop appetizer that was amazing. We also shared the "Thirteen Greens" salad and between the two it was a perfect starter.
For our entrees my wife had grouper and I had blackened bass. Both came on a bed of mashed potatoes and were topped with salad greens. Mine also included fruit with the greens. Both were outstanding and were a perfect portion.
We then shared the bread pudding. It was made of glazed doughnut and was topped with fruit and ice cream. Yummy!
This is a great place to try particularly if you have a car. I don't know what a taxi would cost but I'm sure it would be plenty. It is out of the way but as you will see from the Trip Advisor rating and reviews is excellent. This is a place that has gained popularity purely through word of mouth and that says something.

There are newer reviews for Thirteen

Reviewed June 28, 2012

My rating is an overall rating, so mixing the good with the not so good, gives it an average rating.

Thirteen is essentially located on the other side the mountain opposite Charlotte Amalie. If you hadn’t read any reviews, you probably wouldn’t stop at the place. It’s on the edge of the road between a run-down tenant house and a run-down little grocery store with junk all around the place, and a few drunks hanging near the store. The front of the building is at ground level and it extends back onto stilts, because it’s on the side of a mountain. There is very little parking and what parking there is, is on the road. The restaurant, which is half bar and very popular with the locals, is open air. The interior is shabby chic modern in décor. There are a couple of tables that have a view overlooking the ocean from the rather significant height on the mountain. Unfortunately, the view is diminished by the run down building located to the rear of the grocery store immediately adjacent to the restaurant.

The menu is rather limited, but had unusual interesting selections. My wife and daughter had a shrimp and pasta dish made with Gorgonzola cheese, my granddaughter had a single serving pizza and I had scallops with fried pork belly. All of it was fantastic, although my wife didn’t care for the cheese. It was rather pungent melted in the sauce. The pizza ranked up there with the best I’ve ever tasted and the pork belly on my dish was something to savor. The pricing is out of line though. My dish had 2 scallops and a small piece of pork belly with two tablespoons of potato for +/- $28, the pizza, which was rectangular, was the size a large slice here for $13, and the pasta with shrimp had 3 shrimp for +/-$28.

The service was very slow, slow even by “island time” standards, so give yourself plenty of time if you go there.

Overall; the location is not very good, the service was slow and the price for what you get way out of line, but the food is very good. I will probably not go back, simply because I can go to nicer locations and get equally good food, but for a much better value.

1  Thank The_Traveler_From_Pa
Reviewed June 7, 2012

This place is very hard to find. But if you persevere you will find food worthy of any big city venue, at a reasonable price for the quality and ambiance. The service was excellent. The beef, lobster, and Mahi were as good or better than any we've had elsewhere at fine restaurants (including Texas beef and Florida seafood). Highly recommend this gem if you are tired of overpriced "good enough" food that you find elsewhere on the island.

Reviewed June 3, 2012

We enjoyed an amazing dinner at Thirteen; it is worth the drive north on 33!!! We enjoyed the calamari, mahi, grouper and the brownie dessert is amazing! Great cocktail list as well...the dirty 13 martini is a must have...loved the green olive infused vodka. Our table had an amazing view and we will be back to Thirteen on our next visit to STT!

Reviewed June 1, 2012

Also an excellent wine list. but take bug spray as it is open to the elements and there is not a breeze near your feet (wear socks). the food is excellent and the service decent. there is an extensive wine list as well.