“Young couple's first big vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites

Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites
Ranked #9 of 21 St. Thomas B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Young couple's first big vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

If you are looking for a relaxing, low-key, tropical vacation, this place is perfect. My boyfriend and I stayed here the other week for 5 days in the Cabana room and both loved it. The view from the room is gorgeous. The staff is friendly and pleasant, especially Sandy. We asked her opinion on best beaches and day trips, which was all very helpful.
We loved staying in a cottage with a fully equipped kitchen. Nothin' fancy, but it gets the job done! We went to the Food Center on our first day and bought supplies for breakfast and lunch for the week. Great way for us to stay budget conscious.
Secret Harbor beach is beautiful and a close walk. Coki Beach is also beautiful, but wasn't a huge fan… I just want to read my book and get some sun, not get asked every 5 minutes if I want a drink in a bucket with crazy straws or whatever. I didn't mind at first, but it got to be very irritating.
Red Hook and the ferry are close, but the roads aren't very pedestrian friendly. This did result in several overpriced cab rides. (and they charge per person, since when is that a thing?) We didn't find 5 days long enough a trip to rent a car, or else we would have.
If you're looking for a day trip, definitely take the ferry to St John's and go to Hawknest beach.
All in all Paradise Cove is a great value. Clean rooms with an amazing view and friendly staff. I've already recommended it to a few friends.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alex M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Clearwater, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

The views from our screened in front porch were spectacular, morning, noon and night. The staff was very friendly and accomodating. We locked ourselves out one afternoon and they were there within minutes to help us get back in. There is a cute tea room and internet cafe on the premises and a lovely beach down the hill. We will definitely stay there again and recommended it to friends.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marita L
Bay Shore, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

wonderful place to stay nice pool, near a pretty beach -safe and nice and helpful staff..mike owner joanna office super helpful taxi man curt and presley maintenance man. cool internet cafe breakfast and lunch...loved this place

Room Tip: choose a renovated room ..there are only 2 rooms that are not. but still good rooms . price was rig...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

I will begin by saying that this review is about a month late as I have been very busy with work and have had little time to sit and compose my thoughts. Additionally, I wanted to be able to submit a more rational review than what I had in mind upon leaving this place.

For starters, the view is second to none! Simply one of the most beautiful island views I have seen.

With that said... If you are looking to stay a long weekend or perhaps an evening or two, this place may be your spot. The rooms down the hill are much nicer than the ones atop the hill and the view is unobstructed and breath-taking.

For extended stays you are certainly bound to experience what the management refers to as "growing pains". The owner is a happy sort that likes to engage the visitors, but I get the feeling he bit off more than he can chew with this investment property and he's scrambling to figure out how to make it work. The manager... Not as much.

I was also there during the period that James was there, as we were part of a group of archaeologists there for work. This location was a good distance from where we were working, but we chose this place based on its view.

The power in the upper condos did go off whenever we used the microwave. Presley, who was always seemingly on the clock, was a big help and extremely nice; however, after several times of the power going out we simply couldn't bother the poor man at all, and would go down under the condos and flip the breaker ourselves. Management did seem very unsympathetic as these were "characteristics of old buildings, and they were looking to upgrade". That was fine, but if you, as a customer, have to spend your own money you don't want to experience such "growing pains". To remedy to power issues we would run the microwave for one minute at a time and never let the timer hit zero. It seemed to work.

After reading some of the reviews it appears that double booking rooms is a problem here. We were moved into another condo our second night. The ladies we worked with were moved from the bottom of the hill to a condo up top on our last night. We had been there for three weeks, and they were summarily transferred to make room for new paying customers. The room they were moved to was literally a construction zone. Certainly not ready for guests and we would of all found new quarters had this not been our last night.

We would have done ourselves a favor reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, but hindsight is 20/20. For me one of the telling characteristics of this place is managements response to negative trip advisor reviews. Essentially, if you have something bad to say about this place you are made out to be a liar. And you will not receive the opportunity to defend the veracity of your statements.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Dirt_Beast
ParadiseCoveUSVI, Manager at Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
We are sorry that you did not enjoy your experience at Paradise Cove. Because the leader of your group misinformed us about the numbers of men vs. women in your working group, and advised us that men and women must be housed in separate units, there was a scramble on our part to accommodate everyone, in compliance with the rules, once everyone arrived and the miscount was discovered.
We do not double-book at Paradise Cove.
The situation with the power outage was unfortunate. We put several men in a unit with bunk-beds (with the permission of the foreman), and the number of people in the unit over-stressed the power system. We did the best we could under the circumstances. We were completely booked and could not move guests.
By the same token, the same miscount benefited the ladies in the group. They enjoyed much more spacious accommodations than the men. There was nothing sudden about the move of the ladies on the final night. The group leader was provided with ample notice that this would occur. The ladies were provided with a clean, functional unit
You charge that the very act of management's posting a response to a review is making out our reviewers (our guests) to be liars. We value our guests, past, present and future, very much, and challenge no one's veracity.
No, the purpose of a response is to present another perspective of the situation or occasion. TripAdvisor very fairly allows, and even encourages, the publication of both sides in order to present a balanced viewpoint.
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

My family and I loved our time here. The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly and made our stay pure pleasure. The short walk to the beach is hilly, but that's why the views are so good from the units. There is a lovely tea shop at the resort. The beach is great for a family, and has a restaurant/pub at one end.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2014

Recently stayed at Paradise Cove for 10 days with my family and had a marvelous time!
Being on the budget conscious side we really appreciated the great rates offered for the Seaview Apartments. Starting at $150 it can't be beat, and I did my research!
These units are not luxury, but are clean, comfortable, well stocked ,and extremely good value!
We also had a full kitchenette, so we could cater ourselves. We had a lovely balcony upstairs and enjoyed meals with an amazing view of the turquoise Caribbean!
We were very comfortable in our home away from home (-:
I found the staff and owners very friendly and helpful too. We got lots of advice on where to go.
The whole family enjoyed walking down to Secret Harbor Beach each day. It is the ideal beach,with lots of sand, sun ,shady trees, gentle waters and coral for snorkeling. There is also a top notch restaurant and bar overlooking the Harbor.
My son spent endless happy hours playing in the pool at Paradise Cove.
Evelyn's lovely and charming tea house was a treat and a great place to access the Internet.
Just a note that the mosquitoes were particularly bad this year! I was told that the unusually moist weather is to blame. However, the fauna was lovely and green. I would recommend taking
A clip on diffuser, deet, vit b or whatever works for you.
The staff and owners were very helpful and kind

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

My husband and I stayed in the "serenity" cottage in January. It was very spacious and very close to the ocean with a wonderful HUGE porch and a comfy king bed. I loved taking the short walk down the road daily to secret harbor which is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island and calm and especially great for children. I found the staff delightful and responsive. I am dumbfounded by the bad reviews I just read about paradise cove. That was not my experience at all. I've been to st thomas almost every winter for the past 10 years and have been coming back again and again once I found paradise cove (this was my third year). What I've noticed is that many Americans from the upper 50 states do not realize that st. Thomas is actually a territory and a vacationer should expect the feel of a third world country. the electricity goes on and off, the internet goes on and off and like all tropical islands there are bugs though I never saw any inside our cottage, I would not have been surprised if I had. These conditions are what the locals call " an island thing" and are experienced everywhere on the island all the time. Having said all that for st. Thomas this is a very clean, very safe and comfortable facility. I have paid also more and gotten a lot less then what I got here. If you want an American feel you will have to stay at the Marriott, which is another mile down the road for $400 plus a night. Beware of any place on st. Thomas for less than $100 a night. You will be uncomfortable for sure.
Some of paradises coves rooms are older, but comfy but if you want brand new and sparkly stay in one of their escape units. They cost more but are newly remodeled and feel more like a hotel . Other than the serenity cottage the escape units offer the best views. A unique feature many guests may not realize about paradise cove is that there is a wonderful breeze that often blows through and I have found it temperature wise the most comfortable of any place I've ever stayed on the island. We didn't even need to turn in our air conditioning, just the ceiling fan.
We also attended Sunday service at the cute Protestant church which is on site. I loved the service with father Wes and gazing out at sea during service, just lovely. The tea house was amazing that Marilyn runs, try the homemade lemon scones!!! Michael LAMPE and Sandra LAMPE the owners were warm and welcoming, joann the manager was level headed, friendly and responsive. I was dumbfounded to read some of the bad reviews. If they hadn't mentioned names I would have thought we were not talking about the same place. I stayed last year for an entire month and have never had a bad experience. You won't be sorry to take a chance with paradise cove... If you are Leary of traveling in a "third world country" I would def. stay here, it really feels safe and comfortable....not all places can offer that in st. Thomas.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
Bolongo Bay Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in South Coast
4.0 of 5 stars 1,116 reviews

Been to Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites? Share your experiences!