“Best Place to Stay in St Thomas”

Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites
Ranked #9 of 21 St. Thomas B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2013

My friend and I visited St Thomas, Paradise Cove. We absolutely loved it. The grounds were so beautiful and very romantic. We love the location so close to Red Hook Harbor. Danielle the manager, made us feel very welcome. She was so nice and very helpful in suggesting the Bad Kitty boat trip which was awesome! We look forward to our next trip back to the Escape Condo at Paradise Cove. Could not have been happier. Thanks again Danielle.

1  Thank Beth G

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My wife and I had the pleasure of spending a week at Paradise Cove while we were on St Thomas. We couldn't have been happier with our room, view and the value of our stay.
Our room made us feel like we were floating over the water. It was spacious and beautifully put together. The accommodations were clean and luxurious. Our bedding was comfortable and our towels were fluffy! Property is also impeccably maintained and there is an abundance of wildlife. On site there is a small coffee shop with wifi connection. There is also a convenient trail (not for the faint of heart) that leads you down to Secret Harbor, a beach resort with a bar and restaurant.
The property is one thing but in my opinion, the gem of this resort is the property manager, Danielle. She had everything that there is possibly to offer. Where to eat, what to do, what beaches to visit, where to have a drink. This lovely women goes above and beyond to make your stay pleasant. She gave us a lift one afternoon to the grocery store on on the way she gave us a little tour of Red Hook, a town center down the road and pointed out all the bars, restaurants and shops. She picked us up from the airport and arranged a cab for us to catch our flight back home. She made herself available to us at all hours of the day. The wife and I have traveled around the world and have spend over 500 nights in small B&Bs and boutique resorts and we've never felt so warmly welcomed as we did with Danielle.
I am shocked to read the recent negative reviews about Danielle and cannot accept that they were written about the same person. I do understand that she put at tremendous amount of time and effort into her were and we saw her every day on our 7 day visit. She works hard. Everyone has a bad day. But all way saw from Danielle was a quirky, loving energy and service with a smile.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Albert J
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Stayed at Paradise Cove with my girlfriend before heading to the other islands of the Caribbean. It was our third time on St Thomas but our first at this little hotel.

Although the place is gorgeous and the room we stayed in on the cliff overlooking the water was very nice and clean and the views exceptional I cannot rate this hotel very good at all because of the incredibly rude manager lady.

Not sure what planet this Danielle character comes from but I don’t understand how you can be so crass, condescending and just plain offensive to people who are there just to have a good time and relax. The remarks out of her mouth each time we saw her stunned us both and she made our whole stay miserable and we will never, ever return. We even tried to move to another hotel but they were booked. So instead we just hurried off the property each day so we didn’t have to come into contact with this wicked witch of Paradise Cove.

If you can stand to being talked down to like you’re a child, and rushed to check out on your departure day then by all means stay here. But if you have any self dignity don’t go near this place. That’s the con.

The pro are the views which are amazing, the breezes into your room night and day, the trail down to the water which is worth the trek and the free night’s stay when you book. However for us, the con (look at other reviews we are not the only ones who had this problem with Danielle) far outweighed the pros. We will not be back.

Room Tip: the building down below on the cliff seemed to be best for ocean breezes
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SteveH63101
Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is the first rating on Trip Advisor where I have left anything lower than a Very Good or Excellent Rating. Please read this review in full and you'll see why.

The UGLY: Danielle (the property manager's attitude) I will begin my review by writing about our first impression of Paradise Cove. Prior to arriving at Paradise Cove, we did lots of research to determine that this was the place where we were meant to stay. Danielle, the property manager, was very kind on the phone and upon arrival at the airport was kind to my wife on the phone. She recommended that we stop at the Food Center to get some groceries. When we arrived, Danielle's kindness suddenly was non-existent. I guess once you've already paid the non-refundable fee, the kindness becomes washed out to sea. There was no parking due to a Sunday Church service on the property (not a big deal at all), however Danielle kept yelling, "you'll just have to find a place to park!!!" Obviously, she is more familiar with the area, so it would have been nice for her to recommend an alternative parking area for us. She then explained that she would move the golf cart and her car, so we could park at the top of the hill. So we then drove to the top of the hill and Danielle was irately yelling, "you can't park here!!!" I asked my wife, "tell me what she just said before we drove up the hill." My wife agreed that she told us to drive up the hill. Danielle then explained that we need to hurry and get on the golf cart before the rain comes. Danielle didn't explain why we were getting on the golf cart. I assumed it was to take us to the office to finalize paperwork, get the keys to the cottage, etc. So when we decided to get on the golf cart without our luggage, in an INCREDIBLY rude manner, she said "are you not bringing your luggage?" I explained that she didn't really make it clear to what we were doing. There are more rude comments that she made but I will save your time in reading everything. After driving us to the cottage, she complained about the air conditioning being left on, how expensive electricity is on the island, and how she was going to reprimand the individual responsible for cleaning the cottage (we've been flying all day, we're on vacation, and we don't want to hear the manager complain). Then she proceeded to explain how she just moved off of the property and how the trail to the cottage is terrible and how she cut her leg on the rocks. Finally, in a very rehearsed and routine statement, Danielle mumbled "if you need advice on what to do around the island, stop by the office." Let me add that Danielle was the ONLY rude person we encountered on the entire island and next to the very kind lady that we met at the Avis car rental counter, Danielle was our first impression of the island. My first thought each time that we arrived at Paradise Cove was not "I can't wait to visit our nice cottage, it was instead, I hope that we don't bump into Danielle." She is not personable and I'm shocked that she was hired to manage a property. By the way, the gentleman who I handed the keys to when we left Paradise Cove was very kind and concerned about our stay. He should be the property manager. He seemed very organized and his attitude was what it should be for someone operating a hospitality business. We know of two different families who are interested in traveling to St. Thomas and want to know about our stay, restaurants, etc. when we returned from the trip. Danielle's attitude is so terrible that I honestly would NOT recommend staying here because of her alone.

The good: The property appeared to be well maintained by the staff and landscaping crew. We enjoyed walking through the property in the evening. Paradise Cove is also located in a peaceful neighborhood, it's close to Red Hook and the ferry terminal, as well as Secret Harbour Beach. On the last day, I journeyed onto the nature trail, which is located on the property. I encountered iguanas, cactus, and a pelican flew overhead on the short walk down to the rocks. We did not have time to visit the on-site internet cafe or coffee shop but that is an added bonus. We did use the laundry facilities to wash all of our sea drenched towels, bathing suits, etc. We booked the Serenity Cottage through Hotels.com and the views from the cottage are amazing. You can see St. Croix and cruise ships, yachts, and sail boats sail in and out of St. Thomas from the balcony.

The bad: There are not really any bad comments about the property, aside from Danielle's over the top rudeness. One thing worth mentioning but is not a big deal, is that toilet paper must be thrown into the trash, due to delicate plumbing systems in the islands. The water is safe to drink but bottled water is advisable. Also, there are a lot of mosquitoes surrounding the Serenity Cottage, but it's the tropics so that is to be expected. I don't really know how they would prevent this, without a bug zapper or some sort of citronella contraption outside of the entrance. Again, these are not a big deal but I wanted to include them in my review.

Room Tip: Serenity Cottage is best. Ask to meet the older gentleman when checking in. Avoid Danielle at all...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank Brent B
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My friend and I booked the cabana mid-March of 2013 for a wedding that was going to take place at Secret Harbour, just a short walk away. Due to some unforeseen circumstances, the cabana was not available upon our arrival, so Danielle, the general manager allowed us to stay in one of the Escape condos instead. We had our own balcony with an amazing view of Nazareth Bay, a kitchenette complete with flat-top stove, full-sized fridge, microwave, a large bed, a dining table, bathroom, and a flat screen TV with cable. It was a welcome upgrade and our four night stay was an incredible one. There was a nature trail just behind the property and a quick 5 min walk brought you to the beach, restaurant, and bar at Secret Harbour. At the time I booked our room, they had a deal where if you booked three nights, the fourth was free. I would highly recommend staying at Paradise Cove, and if I return to St. Thomas I would gladly stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank microbunnypimp
Reviewed March 25, 2013

Paradise Cove is located near Red Hook at the eastern end of the island. it sits on a hill overlooking Secret Harbor and the view is spectacular. My wife and I spent a great deal of time just enjoying the view.
We stayed in an Escape Condo. It was roomy, comfortable and clean. it had a bedroom, bath, sitting area, veranda and a very usable kitchenette and we found we had no trouble preparing our breakfasts and lunches there. We had a minor maintenance problem when we arrived but it was dealt with quickly and correctly.
Danielle, our hostess was a wealth of information providing us with tips on where to go (and how to get there) where to eat, how to use the Ferry to St. John, and the attractions that fit our likes. She even tried to get us a taxi one evening when we were stuck for a ride.
The only things that would have made Paradise Cove better is larger tables on the veranda for eating and playing games, and the availability of beach chairs. Also, maid service isn't available unless you stay more than a week but clean towels are available upon request.
A note about driving in the USVI: it's a little insane. You can only rent left-hand drive cars (like in the US) but you drive on the left side of the road. That means the driver is hugging the shoulder while the passenger is next to the yellow line. Both my wife and I found this unnerving to say the least. Add to this that you are literally driving on the top of a mountain using twisty roads that suddenly dive down or crest and turn at the same time and you do not get to relax behind the wheel.
Except for the driving we had a great time. We took the passenger ferry to Cruz Bay, St, John ($6.00 RT) to shop and dine and the next day took the car barge ($50.00 RT) back to sample the beaches there. They were wonderful and a lot less crowded.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad one to be had.
1  Thank Michael P
Reviewed March 24, 2013

In early March, 4 of us sailed with Captain Joe on his boat Treazzure (http://www.sailingvirginislands.com/) for 5 days. We booked the Serenity Cottage for 2 nights before and 1 night after our sailing adventure. The accommodations were very comfortable, clean and roomy with a well equipped kitchen and had a terrace overlooking the bay with views that were simply gorgeous! Danielle took such good care of us, giving us plenty of recommendations and even ferried us to our boat and back to the cottage after our sail. The grounds were beautifully landscaped with ongoing updates. The Serenity Cottage sits up on a craggy hillside thick with natural brush and trees. Hummingbirds buzzed close by and deer grazed below us and we watched a gigantic manta ray leisurely swim along the coast below us. Kayaks below appears to be floating on air, the water was so clear.
There is a nice beach and restaurant within walking distance. Taxi's were available to take us to get groceries, etc. Thank you Danielle for taking such good care of us, and sharing your stories of the sea! We'd love to come back and wouldn't change a thing!!

2  Thank hometraditions
Caneel Bay Resort
Caneel Bay Resort
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Wyndham Margaritaville St. Thomas

Been to Paradise Cove Oceanfront Villas & Suites? Share your experiences!