“Kevin P”

Ranked #45 of 267 Restaurants in St. Thomas
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Latitude 18 is one of the last remaining true island, open air restaurant in St. Thomas. Come experience the rustic charm of this 25 year old landmark! The road is bumpy but would you rather go to a bad bar at the end of a good road or a GREAT bar at the end of a bad road? Latitude 18 sits on the edge of the azure ocean. We serve Caribbean and American cuisine! And the FAMOUS "Shark & Bake" Sandwich which was featured on the Food Network and is available ONLY at Latitude 18. Renowned for LIVE ENTERTAINMENT there's live music and dancing EVERY NIGHT OF THE WEEK! Latitude 18, THE LIVE MUSIC CAPITAL OF ST. THOMAS Latitude 18.....Great Food.....Live Music!!
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We have been here several times ....food is great, people are fantastic, beer is cold, the bands do a great job..... what more can I say .. great job Jillian

Reviewed February 3, 2013

Simply stated, this place made my vacation. I was visiting a friend who lives in Red Hook and she took me to Latitude 18 on the night I arrived, claiming it was “way better than any place in Red Hook.” Not to cast dispersions on the restaurants and bars in RH, but I tried them all and she was right, Latitude 18 is really the only place I fell in love with. I ended up going back pretty much every night (and a couple of days too).
Best food on the island, friendliest staff, best entertainment (live music 7 nights a week!? What!?!?). That’s paradise in itself. And I caught them at the right time of year too…a raucous silver fox with enormous musical talent known simply as “the Fiddler” leads the house band a few nights every week for about 3 months during the high season. They do some great covers but it’s their own original songs which are now still stuck in my head. Some locals informed me that their guitarist is easily the best on the island, which he demonstrated in spades, and they also have a killer washboard player and a young hobbit-like singer/acoustic guitar player who just nails it.
The place was PACKED on most nights, and I was really struck by the diversity of the crowd. You had college kids blowing off steam, local service industry heroes enjoying a couple of after-work drinks, and a whole slew of folks ranging in age from about 30 to 70 who tend to dine-in at Latitude 18 more often than not (many I talked to come there every year!)…which brings me to the food.
I don’t know if they use Cisco like most places on St. Thomas, certainly not for their fresh catches, but what comes out of that kitchen is MAGIC. I ran the gauntlet of their menu and was not disappointed once. They have shark bites for heaven’s sake! Like real ones, caught that day, not the gummy kid’s treat. All of their seafood was spot-on (especially the stuffed crab and Mahi sandwich) and the burgers hold up against the best on the mainland. The real treat, however, was the Roti. This is a traditional Caribbean dish from Trinidad that is like nothing I’ve ever tasted. Phenomenal. Normally I’m not one to pry for chef secrets, but I asked one of the servers where on earth they got the recipe and it turns out that one of the owners is actually from Trinidad and she makes it herself. I suppose that would explain it.
I went in for brunch one day (delicious New Orleans style bloody marys!!!) and was fortunate enough to meet the Roti chef, as well as her business partner, and they are absolutely golden. I believe their charm must be what trickles down to the wait staff and makes them so personable, nice, and just downright awesome. I never once felt that the servers and bartenders were faking it or would rather be somewhere else – they enjoyed working there and it showed. I left USVI and Latitude 18 feeling as though I made some real friends and dammit, I wanna go back. Did I mention they have Rogue beer? They have Rogue beer, and the only good beer on the island. They also probably have the greatest view, which i forgot to mention but is absolutely the icing on the cake. Do it!

2  Thank Stuart F
Reviewed February 2, 2013

On our last visit to beautiful SST, we were led to believe you were closing. So relieved to find you still open and still running the same crazy party. When I pine away for St. Thomas, my mind always turns to the good times we've had at Latitude 18. They have a beautiful waterside spot, and a welcoming island atmosphere. Don't expect fine china, but the food is genuine and on point. We are returning in March, and I will definately be there licking my chops for the island shrimp appetizer, and a tray of painkillers. Maybe we'll get luck and catch The Fiddler, or maybe a Pirate Band. That road - yes, it is the kind of thing from which legends are made. But I think it's all part of the fun. ( And I rent a car!).

Reviewed February 2, 2013

Six of us were at Latitude 18 last night and we had a great time. The food has gotten really good. We had chicken roti, Greek salad, hamburger, fries, shrimp app, and summer roll app. The service was not bad, despite the place being packed by 6:30 pm! Some of the old crew - bartender and servers - are back, and are keeping food and drinks coming ... Teamwork is back at Lat 18! Dick Solberg and the Sun Mountain Band, playing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights until some time in March, are a must-see.The bandstand has been moved, so there is even more room for dancing. A variety of performers play other nights. Reports about the road are accurate, but don't let that stop you from enjoying this waterfront bar and restaurant.

1  Thank 2_Travelers_in_Life
Reviewed January 23, 2013

No trip to the USVI is complete without a visit to Latitude 18.
The food is absolutely top shelf and reasonable, the staff and clientle are simply delightful, the live music 7 nights a week is the best on the Island, the view, the water and fresh east breeze at smooth, lovely, and peaceful Vessup beach is incomparable.
Latitude 18 provides the casual, unpretentious and happy experience you deserve in the USVI with a smile!
Don't miss the infamous Sun Mountain Fiddler on the winter weekends, you will be smiling for weeks!