“the worst experience of my life”

Blue Tang Yacht Private Charters
More attraction details
Owner description: What's more beautiful than the Virgin Islands? The waters that surround them. Come aboard the Blue Tang and experience a day of luxury and adventure. Island-hop around St. John, St. Thomas and the Bristish Virgin Islands with our certified captain and experienced crew while enjoying great food, snorkeling, and a yacht full of fun. It's your private yacht for the day. You're assured personal attention and plenty of room to get the most from our 51-foot SeaRay®. There's just one word that describes a Blue Tang day: Perfect.
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“the worst experience of my life”
Reviewed September 30, 2011

I tried to book an amazing day for my friend on the last day of her honeymoon with this company. They called me 30 minutes prior to them leaving and cancelled on me.
He left me to call other options and had no othr contacts to help me book with somewhere else. In fact he gave me incorrect information by trying to tell me other companies did not have their boats in tehh water when I knew that was not the case.
All around unprofessional and if you want to make sure that you have a good day and do not waste a day of your vacation I would suggest you go with another company.

Visited September 2011
4 Thank sarao_00
vibeachboy, Owner at Blue Tang Yacht Private Charters, responded to this review, October 2, 2011
I completely understand her frustration with the situation. We never enjoy canceling on anyone, in-fact, it is the second time in four years we have had to do so. What was neglected to be explained in the comments was that when the Captain of the vessel employed the engines that morning, he noticed that there was no water cooling the starboard engine. This is dangerous! He immediately called our mechanic. (He arrived within 20 mins.) Then, he called me, the owner. I then immediately called to notify our customer who had booked this excursion for her friends. I let her know that we had a problem with an engine and were working on resolving the issue and hopefully we would just be delayed. Unfortunately, the mechanic had determined that the raw water pump, which cools the engines, had quit working. Therefore the vessel could not be operated safely. This is ALWAYS our primary concern. Again, I apologized profusely for the inconvenience and the obvious disappointment she experienced. I also spoke directly with the couple we were to be picking up that day and explained our situation. They were very understanding. We truly try to provide our customers with the “Perfect Day” aboard Blue Tang! This time we fell short, and we are genuinely very sorry! Peace.

Warrensburg, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Priceless (as the credit card commercial would say)”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

Having been to St. John on multiple occassions, and having always chartered a boat to visit the BVIs, this year we chose Blue Tang. While the cost for the charter may be somewhat higher than other vessels, Blue Tang is well worth the money. Arrangements were made directly with the owner through cell and email. Gary was great to deal with and was always prompt getting back with me. Things went so well we actually chartered the boat for two different trips. Captain Joel and first mate Julie were right on time (both days) picking us up. The boat was in immaculate condition. First stop was Cinnamon Bay where Julie did a great job with breakfast (which was unexpected). After a dip, it was on to Virgin Gorda and the Baths. Lunch at the Willy T and then to Norman where the kids snorkeled while my wife and I had a refreshment (maybe two). With the cruise back to St John, day one was over. Two days later, breakfast was in Maho Bay. Afterward, we checked in at West End and spent some time going through the shops as Soper's Hole. Then to Sandy Spit (ok, there's nothing there but you have to go) with lunch at Foxy's. Around the corner to White Bay and Soggy Dollar (how can you not go to Soggy no matter how many trips to the BVIs!). By 4:00 p.m. we had to head back to St. John for the end of the day. One can't utter enough compliments for Joel and Julie, other than next year the plan will be a repeat journey(s) on Blue Tang!!

Visited August 2011
2 Thank John E
Copenhagen, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great day on Blue Tang”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We enjoyed 12 days at St Croix and St John and had many great experiences and adventures. One of the best and most memorable days was spent on Blue Tang. We were picked up at the small pier at Caneel Bay, St John, USVI and were soon served a wonderfull light breakfast while we slowly went towards BVI. On the way we stopped a couple of times to enjoy the beautiful beaches we passed and to snorkle. Customs into BVI was cleared within a few minutes by the staff and we went on to great snorkling places including some amazing caves. Lunch was enjoyed at Foxy's Taboo on Jost Van Dyke - a cool and cozy place with lots of atmosphere. Afterwards we went to Sandy Spit and another small island with nothing but blue water, white sand and a few palm trees - just like in your dreams. On the way back to USVI and Caneel Bay we were served drinks and jumbo prawns with local hot-sauce - just what we needed !
Thanks to Captain Joel and to Cathrine for great service onboard a beautiful yacht, for good company, and for taking us to some of the most wonderfull spots one can imagine.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank Erik B
Council Bluffs, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Blue Tang is by far our very best Virgin Islands boating experience”
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We have experienced just about every type of boat charters available in the Virgin Islands over the last ten years. Now that we've experienced Blue Tang it is by far our favorite. Our last trip we started early went to the BVI, snorkeled the Indians at Norman Island (the entire aft swim deck lowered down into the water and made it easy for my mother-in-law to snorkel with us). Next we stopped at Sandy Cay, then had lunch at Taboo and Pain Killers at Soggy Dollar on Yost Van Dyke before cruising back to St. John. We've done similar trips on other boats and have always had a good time but doing it on this beautiful luxurious yacht while being pampered by the crew, made us feel very "special". Definately one of our finest days on the water. Unforgettable!

2 Thank Barbara_Randy
North Myrtle Beach
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Blue Tang is Sleek and Worth The Ride!”
Reviewed August 20, 2010

My husband and I were on a cruise in the Caribbean this past winter and were fortunate enough to have a private cruise on Blue Tang for our shore excursion in St. Thomas. Blue Tang is clean, well maintained, and the crew is friendly and very professional. We toured around St. John, stopped for snorkeling in one of the many coves.The crew was informative in their instruction, and even got in the water with us as we are not great snorkelers ourselves!! They dropped us off for lunch in St. John and then picked us up after for a leisurely return to the dock. Would highly recommend this as an alternative to those overly crowded ship excursions.

1 Thank cttmtgolf