Because we waited too late to book at our regular resort (Bluebeard's Beach Club) we had to look for another place to stay for our final two nights on St. Thomas. We researched and decided on Two Sandals.
When we turned down their private driveway (which I wouldn't call private as other houses share it) I was a little afraid for the undercarriage of our tiny Yaris car, but we finessed it and as we drove through the gate we were greeted by mountain views and colorful bouganvilla blossoms. Later I told Helen that when we stepped through the door, my first thought was "Hemingway would have stayed here!" The decor is understated rusted elegance. Ceiling fans carved in the shape of palm leaves turn lazily overhead. Groupings of comfy furniture are scattered in various corners. A reading library waits in the corner. A solid square shaped bar looks perfect for gathering and chatting.
My favorite was the huge plank table in the center of the room, with maps and guidebooks ready to help you plan your next expedition! Jun and Helen are welcoming and personable hosts, and in short order we had a cool beer in our hand.
The room was similarly spare in decor, but very comfortable once the small but powerful air conditioner kicked in. I like a cool bedroom but even I had to turn the temperature up a few degrees - that little machine packs a punch! :) The flatscreen TV worked well, and we appreciated the mini fridge. My only minor complaint is that there is no access to ice. A small ice machine would be a nice addition, even if it was out in the common area.
They made the most of the odd-shaped en-suite bathroom, with a tiled shower, rustic wood countertop and a unique basin that sits on top of the counter rather than sunk into it. As a short person, i found it a little problematic to brush my teeth as it was too tall for me to bend over it. :) The towels were clean, however with the humidity the bath towels quickly developed a musty smell upon use. (I wasn't me! I swear!) I would suggest a final rinse with a cup of white vinegar when the towels are laundered. I have to do this at home once in a while in the summer if I don't get the towels out of the dryer right away.
The first night, the house (nightclub) next door blared loud music late into the night, however the white noise of the a/c drowned most of it out, and I was too tired to care, anyway. The second night (a Sunday night) was quieter.
Breakfast was delicious both mornings, with Helen's fresh baked chocolate chip scones one morning, and banana chocolate chip bread the next. The meal was rounded out with yogurt with granola and a dollop of what i think was guava jelly (served in a charming Mason jar), hot hard boiled eggs, mixed juice, and coffee/tea. We definitely didn't go away hungry! The view from the balcony is a great view of the surrounding mountains, Red Hook and the harbor. If you're adventurous, it's a short walk to town if you take the shortcut through the back gate. Try to overlook the rather cluttered back yard across the road. There's a dog in that yard but honestly he wasn't nearly as noisy as the roosters! But aren't roosters part of "island life?" :)
Secret Harbor is a short walk away though we didn't go down there this trip.
Overall it was a very nice stay and we'd recommend Jun and Helen's place to anyone looking for a low-key, pleasant break from resort madness. We found them to be friendly and warm. If there were two things I'd change, it'd be provide some access to ice, and please *please* buy that nightclub next door and put it out of its misery. ;)
I've provided some photos - sorry I didn't take any of the room before our luggage exploded all over it!
Thanks for a lovely two days, guys!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Two Sandals - Bed & Breakfast is located in the beautiful East End of St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. It is the perfect place for a family trip, a romantic getaway, or short-term rental. The property overlooks American Yacht Harbor in Red Hook and boasts spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea, including the neighboring island of St. John. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Expedia, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Two Sandals by the Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 2 Sandals By The Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast
- Two Sandals By The Sea Hotel St. Thomas
- Two Sandals By The Sea Inn - Bed And Breakfast
- Two Sandals By The Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands