“Snafu in resort scheduling brought us here, but we're glad we came!”

Two Sandals by the Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 21 St. Thomas B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Snafu in resort scheduling brought us here, but we're glad we came!”
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Because we waited too late to book at our regular resort (Bluebeard's Beach Club) we had to look for another place to stay for our final two nights on St. Thomas. We researched and decided on Two Sandals.

When we turned down their private driveway (which I wouldn't call private as other houses share it) I was a little afraid for the undercarriage of our tiny Yaris car, but we finessed it and as we drove through the gate we were greeted by mountain views and colorful bouganvilla blossoms. Later I told Helen that when we stepped through the door, my first thought was "Hemingway would have stayed here!" The decor is understated rusted elegance. Ceiling fans carved in the shape of palm leaves turn lazily overhead. Groupings of comfy furniture are scattered in various corners. A reading library waits in the corner. A solid square shaped bar looks perfect for gathering and chatting.

My favorite was the huge plank table in the center of the room, with maps and guidebooks ready to help you plan your next expedition! Jun and Helen are welcoming and personable hosts, and in short order we had a cool beer in our hand.

The room was similarly spare in decor, but very comfortable once the small but powerful air conditioner kicked in. I like a cool bedroom but even I had to turn the temperature up a few degrees - that little machine packs a punch! :) The flatscreen TV worked well, and we appreciated the mini fridge. My only minor complaint is that there is no access to ice. A small ice machine would be a nice addition, even if it was out in the common area.

They made the most of the odd-shaped en-suite bathroom, with a tiled shower, rustic wood countertop and a unique basin that sits on top of the counter rather than sunk into it. As a short person, i found it a little problematic to brush my teeth as it was too tall for me to bend over it. :) The towels were clean, however with the humidity the bath towels quickly developed a musty smell upon use. (I wasn't me! I swear!) I would suggest a final rinse with a cup of white vinegar when the towels are laundered. I have to do this at home once in a while in the summer if I don't get the towels out of the dryer right away.

The first night, the house (nightclub) next door blared loud music late into the night, however the white noise of the a/c drowned most of it out, and I was too tired to care, anyway. The second night (a Sunday night) was quieter.

Breakfast was delicious both mornings, with Helen's fresh baked chocolate chip scones one morning, and banana chocolate chip bread the next. The meal was rounded out with yogurt with granola and a dollop of what i think was guava jelly (served in a charming Mason jar), hot hard boiled eggs, mixed juice, and coffee/tea. We definitely didn't go away hungry! The view from the balcony is a great view of the surrounding mountains, Red Hook and the harbor. If you're adventurous, it's a short walk to town if you take the shortcut through the back gate. Try to overlook the rather cluttered back yard across the road. There's a dog in that yard but honestly he wasn't nearly as noisy as the roosters! But aren't roosters part of "island life?" :)

Secret Harbor is a short walk away though we didn't go down there this trip.

Overall it was a very nice stay and we'd recommend Jun and Helen's place to anyone looking for a low-key, pleasant break from resort madness. We found them to be friendly and warm. If there were two things I'd change, it'd be provide some access to ice, and please *please* buy that nightclub next door and put it out of its misery. ;)

I've provided some photos - sorry I didn't take any of the room before our luggage exploded all over it!

Thanks for a lovely two days, guys!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face the neighboring nightclub.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Waterford, Connecticut
Reviewed March 23, 2014

We had initially told the owners (Jun and Helen) that we were arriving at 11:30 but ended up taking an earlier ferry from St John. Jun met us on the porch and informed us that it was no problem at all and let us change into our bathing suits and store our luggage so that we could get to the beach. The location of Two Sandals was very convenient and the rooms are comfortable. It is a short walk to the beach (Secret Harbor), close to a variety of restaurants and the view from the deck in our room was very nice. Helen served a really good breakfast (juice, sausage and cheese biscuits, tea, hard boiled eggs and yogurt with granola and honey). It was a nice break from the usual muffins and juice that you sometimes get from a continental breakfast. Jun offered (and we took him up on it) to take us to the airport on the day we were heading out. We had a great conversation with him about his businesses and possible travel to Connecticut. Overall we would definitely recommend Two Sandals if you are looking for a place to stay in St Thomas.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lkarasev2293
Baxter, Minnesota
Reviewed March 14, 2014 via mobile

Loved the feel and decor of Two Sandals. It was cozy like home. We stayed in a room with a view. Helen was a wonderful host. We stayed here to be close to the ferry since we were spending most of our trip on St. John.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank MedeckFamily
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Our experience was very bad. Bedroom and bathroom were dirty and full of hair everywhere from previous visitors. Towels were used and not washed and including stains (use your imagination)... TV had the screen not working properly. Lack of light in the bedroom. Lights in balcony did not work. Very poor breakfast. WIFI was not reachable from any place of the property. Helen made us feel not welcome from the beginning of our stay making us feel she is doing us A FAVOR for renting us a room. She also knocked on the door at 11:10 AM asking us to leave because check out was at 11 o'clock. Definitely, very expensive and terrible customer service!!! Choose another place to stay!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Fernando O
JunHelen, Manager at Two Sandals by the Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
While we appreciate any constructive criticism to help improve the level of service and quality at Two Sandals, in this particular case we feel that we need to defend the blatant misrepresentations and exaggerations in this review. The television did not have any issues, we have lights inside our guest rooms, we provide fresh linens and towels to all of our guests, and this guest complained about hair in the bathroom after it was apparent that he had already used it and taken a shower.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 19, 2014

This was the perfect escape. I have spent quite a bit of time on Saint Thomas and this place was a needed retreat. Helen, was friendly and helpful. It was a highlight of my trip. My only regret is that I didn't stay longer.

• Stayed February 2014
Huntington, New York
Reviewed February 18, 2014

My wife and I just got back from an amazing 5 night vacation in St. Thomas. We were supposed to only go for 4 nights but the threat of a snow storm resulted in us leaving a day early and needing to find a place to stay since our hotel booking wouldn't take us a day early. I was looking for something cheap and close to our hotel just to get us through the first night and found this place. It had good reviews and was on the same street as the hotel we were staying in so I gave it a shot. Turns out, I should have stayed at Two Sandals the whole time. Our hotel down the street, Secret Harbour, was more than double the price and the actual room was not as nice as our room at Two Sandals. Since we spent most of our time away from the hotel at different beaches on St. Thomas and St. John, the need to be at a hotel on the beach ended up up not being important. We were just looking for nice accommodations, which is why we booked a higher end hotel. For what you pay, Two Sandals is a better option than a pricey beach resort. Don't let the driveway down to Two Sandals scare you. Once you get there you will find a nice house with a beautiful view of Red Hook Marina and the Caribbean Sea. The host was friendly and the rooms were nice and updated. The breakfast was delicious. With any B&B, you are basically sharing a house with other people, which may have turned me off if I was there longer. But for the night we stayed there, I had a great experience and would recommend it to any couple who is looking for a nice place for a good price who doesnt need to be on a beach. Our hotel's beach was a 10 minute walk from Two Sandals anyway. If you can, get a room with a balcony. We didn't.

Room Tip: Book a room with a balcony or ocean view
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
maryland
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Our stay began with an extremely awkward shuttle experience with the owner/husband. 1) Him asking numerous questions about where we worked, did we own the companies, etc. Then with him telling us he owned 4 businesses, but when we asked about the other 3, he promptly & rudely snapped, "You want to talk about MY businesses?!" 2) He asked what our kids were into & when we said that our son played baseball & soccer, having great hand eye coordination, he scoffed "You don't need hand-eye coordination for those sports! I play tennis & that's a sport that requires real hand-eye coordination." 3) He badmouthed the island for it's crime & lack of decent restaurants. -- Needless to say, prior to even arriving to the B&B, we were thinking we had made a mistake.

Our room was clean & the AC worked well. The curtains should have been thicker. I felt uncomfortable dressing in the room because the curtains were so thin. The bathroom was nicely upgraded (by island standards) however, the shower/tub had mildew. The pictures show a bar in the common area but no one manned the bar so I don't really see the point. The husband offered us a beer when we arrived which was nice & only cost us $2 each.

We were prepared for the bad driveway but it's in seriously bad shape! Potholes filled with water, dark & littered with trash. Just an hour of time picking up trash & filling in the large 5' wide hole with gravel would do wonders. The drive is so dark at night that we felt unsafe.

On a good note, the wife was super sweet and helpful with directions and recommendations for dining and travel. The breakfasts she made were great. The baked goods were both pretty and tasty.

Room Tip: windows and slider doors let in a lot of noise so bring ear plugs to block out the barking dog and r...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple