“Clean, cozy and environment-friendly”

Two Sandals by the Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #5 of 21 St. Thomas B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2013

It was a very comfortable stay with two sandals.We love the atmosphere and the style of two sandals. It's natural simple, cozy and environment-friendly. It's clean and quiet. The location is great. It's just 10 minutes walk from the Red Hook. The view from the terrace is beautiful. The home-made breakfast is perfect!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank foggyfoggyfoggy

Reviewed December 15, 2012

Someone found the golden rule of a successful bed and breakfast: TLC (with the magic combination of parking and wifi). You can tell Jun and Helen are putting their heart and soul into this business. From the breezy hillside location overlooking Red Hook harbor (perched halfway between the beautiful little beach at Secret Harbor and Island Time Pub) to the thoughtfully edited welcome guide in the creatively named rooms, everything in the place has their stamp. Breakfast is the perfect balance of homey and gourmet. Our only regret is we never got to meet Baby Lucy (the dog).

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank HotelCalifornians
Reviewed November 22, 2012

We stayed at Two Sandals in November 2012 after our one week cruise throughout British Virgin Islands. This was our last stop on our honeymoon. Our room had a private balcony where we had drinks and played cards at night. The bed was very comfortable and the room was super CLEAN. Our only suggestion would be to get darker curtains because the room was so bright with a huge window and sliding glass door to the balcony, which were very nice, but not when you want to sleep in. Jun and Helen are great hosts and are very accommodating. They were so friendly and helpful with recommendations and suggestions.

This was a perfect end to our honeymoon and really enjoyed our stay at Two Sandals. We look forward to going back and having Jun’s special drinks at their bar, called “Two Scandals.”

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank marc y
Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed exclusively at Two Sandals during our one-week vacation to St. Thomas and St. John from 28 Oct thru 3 Nov 2012. We never stayed at nor heard of Two Sandals prior to this, but it turned out to be exactly what we needed – no regrets and no complaints. When we travel, we like to partake in lots of activities and see lots of sights without spending a ton of money, and for us Two Sandals provided good, solid lodging at a good price. The location is near Red Hook for lots of nearby good eats, shops, and quick access to the people/car ferry to St. John; the room was clean, sufficiently furnished, and quiet; the common area was welcoming, simple, and nicely furnished; the free breakfast was healthy and tasty; owners Jun and Helen were friendly and accommodating. We enjoyed some one-on-one chats with them and found them to be incredibly interesting and enjoyable people with which to share time. In fact, we were looking for and signed up for a personalized excursion boat tour of the local islands and best snorkeling spots provided by Jun to anywhere we wanted to go. If we return to St. Thomas, we’ll be staying at Two Sandals again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gary W
Reviewed October 19, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Two Sandals for our honeymoon. On our first day, we walked to Secret Harbor Beach and snorkeled. We had a great dinner at a restaurant right on the beach. The sunset view from the beach was AMAZING!! On our second day, we took a ferry and went to St John. We spent all day there and had a dinner at Cruz Bay and caught the last ferry (11PM) and went back to Red Hook. On our third day, we decided to get on a British Virgin Islands tour boat. We went to Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke and Tortola. They gave us a special discount because we stayed at Two Sandals. On our last day, the owner of Two Sandals took us out to a boat tour. We went to 2 “secret” islands. That was the highlight of our trip! It was so much fun and private. We saw many sea turtles. We felt like we did everything during such a short trip. We were so tired but had so much fun. As we did not rent a car, which would cost $65 a day, we saved tons and spent it on our activities, which turned into our priceless memory…. Thank you, Jun and Helen, for such a wonderful honeymoon - we will post our pictures on your website as we promised. We can’t wait to go back to Two Sandals next year.

Room Tip: We loved Malibu room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Eric C
Reviewed September 17, 2012

In a few words: Unsafe, unreliable, and scandalous.  I am a single woman that was looking for a safe place to live for an extended stay on St. Thomas.  I pre-booked before I arrived with Two Sandals and it not only smelled of mold and I found weird insect parts throughout the bathroom but my third day I woke just before sunrise (approx 5:30 am) to find my door, which had been locked at the knob, WIDE open.  Terrified I quickly scanned the room for intruders then immediately searched to see if my expensive electronics were in place. Luckily, nobody was there and nothing was missing.  I assumed the door might have not been alligned properly when shut/locked and an early breeze was responsible.  I then deadbolted the door, which required a key, before I left early for work and called Helen that afternoon as soon as I got off.  After 2 hours and 2 voicemails she came down to meet with me.  Neither of us could re-create the problem by shutting the door gently trying to see if it would remain slightly ajar.  It would shut fine each time...  The top deadbolt seemed to work fine but because we were still uncertain she told me the following morning, she would have her husband Jun come and look at the doorknob because, "he usually dealt with maintenance." I told her I would be working all day but that would be fine if he came by anyway.  I came home to find nothing done to door and no word to what may have been discovered by him.  My hours were long so I decided my deadbolt was safe enough (or so I thought). My hunt for a safer place to live would start immediately since I knew then how flaky they were at attending to situations.  After 3 days feeling completely forgotten I wrote an e-mail hoping they would recieve it better than phone calls. Jun woke me at sunrise the following morning, he claimed to have never been informed of my door situation.  When Jun came at 6:45am, he avoided the topic of my door and was more concerned with my air conditioner dripping until I reminded him why he came to my room in the first place, to inspect the door not AC! He was obviously very defensive and not all helpful.  He was very rude, abraisive, and acted like it would be a big bother for him to replace it so I told him to forget it and I would be moving ASAP so he can deal with it then.   I quickly learned Jun and Helen constantly played off of eachother communication-wise and pawned responsibilities off on eachother that were never followed through with. Reading other reviews I should have been cautious of this.  I moved out as soon as possible because clearly they could not be trusted.  I had requested a refund and was told the days I wouldn't be there would be calculated to a refund by Helen. But then Jun informed me no refund possible....  After so much communication juggling with the two of them I requested to meet in person with BOTH of them to discuss this situation.  I was so uncertain of how my locked door swung open all by itself and since I was unable to recreate it shutting in a faulty way, my suspicions lead to the possibilty that a previous tenant or somebody else MUST have copies of the keys??  My suspicions lost all doubt during the only meeting I managed to arrange with both of them. Jun said he went to my room that day (3 days AFTER I had moved out) and found the other door (from room to shared kitchen area) in his words "ripped open".  I then expressed my deep concern that there must be somebody else with copies of the keys but Jun was very quick to "100% guarantee  me that there weren't copies".  There are multiple places on island that anyone could make copies of the keys that I had for that room (for example Home Depot) and I have photos of the simple keys to prove it.    In the end I was refused any refund because they said that I never said I felt unsafe, however, it was not only obvious but it was stated in my very first conversation AND e-mail to Helen regarding the opening locked door.  They told me they did not believe their side of the lease I signed was broken so to them SAFETY is not covered in their part of the lease.  I am so glad I got out of there when I did and I hope in the future no one has to go through such an event! Two Sandals is frighteningly unsafe and has unbelieveably bad customer care.  If anyone would like to know more in detail please private message me, I would hate for anyone to be treated in such a scandalous way, like I was.

• Stayed: August 2012
11  Thank Travelslightly88
JunHelen, Manager at Two Sandals by the Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Please be advised that this person was not a guest at our B&B. She rented a room in our guesthouse, which is entirely different from our B&B. Unfortunately, she wrote this false review in retaliation after we refused to comply with her demands.

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Two Sandals this summer. We stayed at Two Sandals for 3 nights and headed over to Virgin Gorda and stayed there for 4 nights and stayed at Two Sandals one last night before we flew back home. We were presently surprised how great the location of Two Sandals is. We walked to Secret Harbor Beach and had a wonderful dinner the first night. On our second day, we walked to Red Hook and took a ferry to St John. We literally walked everywhere and thoroughly enjoyed it. The owner was very friendly and had plenty of recommendations for nearby restaurants and attractions. We enjoyed everything he suggested, including a secret “local bar” that tourists normally do not go to. If you do not require “resort amenities” and just need a comfortable place to sleep, this is a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 mi away
Hillcrest Guest House
Hillcrest Guest House
#3 of 5 in Cruz Bay

Been to Two Sandals by the Sea Inn - Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!