TripAdvisor
Inbox
Search
Review Highlights
Great experience - highly recommended

My wife and I sailed with Pat (and first mate John) on Nov 12. It was our first time sailing. Pat... read more

Reviewed 4 days ago
NCFishByte
Huntersville, North Carolina
50th birthday dream realized.

We cruised through the Caribbean on the Celebrity Equinox stopping in Puerto Rico, St Thomas... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
JenBeattySunsetat7

Recommended experiences in and around St. Thomas
from $150.00
from $550.00
from $800.00
from $110.00
More Info
All reviews captain pat death by chocolate pasta primavera rum punch garlic bread day sail sea turtles delicious lunch fish fresh water shower sailing experience american yacht harbor wonderful sailing beautiful boat snorkel guide deviled eggs eagle ray
Selected filters
Reviewed August 23, 2019 via mobile

This was an amazing trip with Captain Pat and first mate Travis! The snorkeling was great, the lunch was fantastic, the rum punch was great too! While snorkeling we saw turtles, stingrays and so many different fish! I felt like I was in an aquarium! Pat gave us a lot of information/history while making the sailing trip to St John. You will not be disappointed on this trip! Great great fun!!!

Date of experience: July 2019
Captain_Pat_Stoeken, Owner at Independence Sailboat Charter, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2019

Thanks for taking the time to write your lovely review and we are so glad you enjoyed your day with us on Independence. We hope to have you aboard again next time your travels bring you to our island!

Reviewed August 18, 2019

we took our recent high school graduate granddaughter on a full day with Capt. Pat and it was the best day of the week! There was a good wind which made for great sailing, and the boat was large enough for it to be very relaxing, great snorkeling also and Travis was a great snorkeling guide.

Date of experience: August 2019
Captain_Pat_Stoeken, Owner at Independence Sailboat Charter, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2019

It was a fabulous day and we loved having you aboard. Best wishes to Ainsley as she heads off to college. Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely review.

Reviewed August 4, 2019

This was definitely the highlight of our vacation to St. Thomas, and I would highly recommend sailing with Captain Pat & Travis. We had and fun and informative sail and those snorkeled in two different locations off of St. John. While there, we saw rays, sea turtles, and a ton of colorful fish and coral. Travis, who came with us for the snorkeling was a great guide in the water, pointing out things to or group and diving down to bring up creatures from the bottom to show the group. And while we were out Pat made a delicious lunch. Add in some of the best-tasting rum punch on the island, and it’s a trip not to be missed.

Date of experience: July 2019
Captain_Pat_Stoeken, Owner at Independence Sailboat Charter, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2019

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your awesome review. We are so glad you enjoyed your day with us and really appreciate your spreading the good word. Hope you will come back to Independence soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2019

My wife and I sailed with Captain Pat and Travis a couple of weeks ago and it was the highlight of a week long trip. We were in St. Thomas to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. Independence is a beautiful boat and Pat knows how to make your day absolutely perfect.

From the time she meets you at the dock, she puts you completely at ease letting you know what's going to happen, helping you get yourself and your things into the dinghy and then onto the boat.

She's very friendly and easy to talk to. After 40 something years on the water, she loves it like it's her first. I asked her how it could still be interesting to her after all this time and she said "I just love sailing my boat.".

We did a full day sail which started with a sail out to the north side of St. John where Travis guided us on a little snorkel adventure. Then as we had developed and appetite we climbed aboard where Pat was waiting with a freshwater shower to rinse the saltwater off. We toweled off at which point Travis and Pat served us a delicious lunch of salad and pasta primavera which couldn't have been more delicious. This was followed by dessert of "death by chocolate" which was incredibly rich and yummy.

We had all the rum punch we desired, and did some more snorkeling with Travis. By the way, Travis is awesome. He loves the ocean and it certainly shows as he shares his knowledge with you. While we were out with him we saw several sea turtles, some stingrays, lots of fish and even a nurse shark!

The sail back to port was very enjoyable as we sat on the front deck with the breeze in our faces. It was an unforgettable experience. I couldn't be happier that we booked with Captain Pat. She and Travis are hospitality professionals and wonderful advocates for the Virgin Islands.

We'll be back with our kids next time!

Date of experience: July 2019
Captain_Pat_Stoeken, Owner at Independence Sailboat Charter, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to write your wonderful review. We look forward to seeing you again and to having your kids aboard Independence as well. I hope you told them that nurse sharks are the Labrador retrievers of the shark family, just in case they are watching Shark Week on tv!

Reviewed July 26, 2019

Its hard to describe just how amazing this trip was. Pat and her crew were absolutely fantastic! I was like a kid seeing a roller-coaster for the first time, riding on a sail boat was always on my bucket list, and Pat knocked this one out of the park! For starters I have never been more relaxed, a combination of the ocean breeze, and Pats rum punch put my nerves at ease for what I had planned on this trip. I am definitely biased but I guarantee you that you will not find a better boat, captain, and crew than the independence! After an amazing first time snorkeling we took a break for lunch. Having grown up in a restaurant I didn't expect more than a ham sandwich, to my surprise we feasted on an excellent veggie carbonara, salad, and a garlic bread you will not find anywhere else. On our last snorkeling spot I pulled Pat aside and asked if she would mind if I proposed, she was all in! And commissioned her deckhand a part time photographer to get some pictures. While my then girlfriend was drying off sitting at the front I grabbed the ring, made my way up front, the deckhand popped out of a window with two drinks and requested my camera. I got down on one knee, popped the question, and now we have a story to tell the future kids and grand kids of how dad proposed. THANK YOU PAT AND CREW for everything, we will never forget it and will hopefully see you in the near future!

Date of experience: May 2019
Captain_Pat_Stoeken, Owner at Independence Sailboat Charter, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2019

That was an awesome day and we hope to see you with those kids so we can tell them the story of how Dad proposed to Mum. Maybe we will see you on your honeymoon first! Our very best wishes for a wonderful wedding and a long and happy married life.