“Good but could use some work”

Antilles At Sapphire Beach Resort
Ranked #17 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Reviewed August 15, 2007

I agree SOME rooms need renovating, but rooms are INDIVIDUALLY
owned by people, we got there and had a horrible room, but we made a list of complaints and they moved us to another nicer room that was open, It have a beautiful view of the usvi's and bvi's, there are no restaurant, but they are CONDOS ,its called you buy the food at a grocery store and cook food at the room, beautiful beach, i saw sea turtles out there too, beautiful. Its not the Ritz, but its nice

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank airsoftman687

Reviewed July 18, 2007

Sapphire Beach was great!! If you are looking for a laid back vacation with all the entertainment close to where you stay, this is the place. Our room was directly on the beach and the snorkeling right outside our room was amazing. We saw sea turtles, barracuda, manta ray and tons of fish. The restaurants at the resort were a bit pricey, but if you travel like us, you don't eat every meal at the resort anyway. If you are going to the Caribbean with the expectations of being pampered and staying in a 5 star hotel, you will be disappointed. However, if you are going to the Caribbean for the beautiful nature and amazing views, this is your place. Don't miss the Breakaway Charter!! It is a great way to see several islands and the boat is small enough that if you are prone to sea sickness, you will be safe. The crew is amazing and you feel like you are travelling with friends.

Stayed: March 2006
4  Thank MLGmom
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Let me start by saying that my husband and I loved St. Thomas. As a matter of fact we can't wait to go back. As soon as we landed the beauty of the island was not lost on us. Now as far as our actual stay at Sapphire is concerned. Check in was fine. We actually arrived a bit early and they allowed us to check in. The lobby is open air and you can actually see the beach. The views are breathtaking. Really hard to describe. Due to some other reviews I've read on this site about the property I was trying to prepare myself for the worse. Someone from the hotel helped us with our bags to our studio and to my pleasant surprise it was nice. It was a very comfortable room and we were directly behind the marina. Now before we visited the Marriott and Wyndham Sugar Bay I was prepared to give this resort a four however I had no idea what we were missing. Let me just say that we never went inside the rooms at either property however we were thoroughly impressed. We visited the Marriott because we were told that if we did the timeshare presentation we would get a hundred dollars in food coupons which came in handy because St Thomas was so expensive. It's not a bad way to get free coupons because the sales people are not pushy. Anyway it is hard for me to find the right words to describe just how perfect the grounds of the Marriott are. We want to go back just so that we can stay at that hotel. Again we didnt' know what we were missing...

As far as the Wyndham it was up the road from our hotel, too far to walk but it seemed like a great place to stay. First of all the Wyndam had a great buffet and a really nice party going on. The service there sucked. It too forever for us to get a table which was odd because there were obviously tables available and it was a buffet. Meanwhile our hotel didn't have any of that. The fact that you could eat and have entertainment right on property is important because cabs and food is very expensive in St. Thomas. Two people could easily spend forty dollars roundtrip just for transportation.

The restaurants are closed at Sapphire but I saw a sign for the Grapevine Grill and some restaurants in Red Hook will deliver. Sapphire did offer a free continental breakfast which consisted of muffins bagels and juice.

So bottom line Sapphire Beach had good service. The room was dated but that didn't bother us. For the money it was a great deal!!!!

The beach is amazing. I highly recommend doing the New Horizons breakway tour. It was 135.00 bucks a piece and worth every penny. (You can get a 10% discount by booking online) It was the highlight of our trip. We went by motorboat to four different islands including Virgin Gorda, Jost Van Dyke, and Marina Key.

We also did a day trip to St Johns. WOW who knew a beach could be so amazing. This is a a must do. YOu can catch the ferry in Red Hook for about four bucks a piece.

By the way there is public transportation for a dollar or two but it doesn't go everywhere. If you have any questions about St Thomas feel free to email me I really loved the place.
cwilson_4@hotmail.com

Stayed: July 2007
6  Thank ajamu
Reviewed May 5, 2007

We stayed here in April '07 and were expecting the worst due to reviews on this site. So, we were pleasantly surprised that it wasn't bad at all. The restaurant/bar is closed, but if you know that and have a car and a kitchen so what. There is an outdoor BBQ lunch & cocktail stand essentially on the beach, if you don't want to leave the beach to eat...just be prepared for hungry & large iguanas to join you under the trees. The snack bar/gift shop has lots of stuff too - juice, cereal bars, ice cream, and frozen drinks made to order. You can use their big, soft towels for beach/pool use and get a new one every day with a deposit that is refunded when you turn in your towel for the final time. You can get snorkel gear right there and the fish will amaze you just a few yards off shore, even in the shallow areas. The pool was warm & never crowded during our stay, so what if some tiles were missing. The lounge chairs on our own decks were stained ( a bit gross) so cover them with a towel. There were a few burned out light bulbs they never replaced, and it took me 4 pleasant requests to get a DVD player in our unit for the kids. The decor is a bit generic but pleasant, and the views make up for it.. Yes, some little bugs in the kitchen area, common in the tropics. Put out your trash bag every nite. Not a 5-star resort by any means (maybe it once was?) but I would go back. The kids loved it. Few places are large enough for families to vacation comfortably, and here you dont' have to drive to the beach. All of that is priceless!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank GingerE
Reviewed April 6, 2007

We had a family reunion for eleven people in four rooms for the Thanksgiving week.

Two weeks before we arrived, I spoke to the hotel (Vivien) to arrange for thanksgiving dinner. I was assured that there was plenty of room in the two restaurants.

When we arrived, we found that there were NO RESTAURANT FACILITIES AT ALL! It was impossible to get a cold drink or a cup of coffee. In order to have dinner, we had to take very expensive taxis to a village 6/7 miles away. For breakfast and lunch, we had to shop at the village supermarkets and prepare our own meals. There were kitchen facilities in our rooms.

The brochures of the resort spoke glowingly of the dining facilities and the swim up bar in the pool. None of these facilities existed.

When we complained and asked for some compensation, at least to make up for the extra taxi expense, we were adamantly refused.

On our return we contacted the Governor of the Virgin Islands and the Tourist Offices. We received no satisfaction at all.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank lenomax
Reviewed March 17, 2007

I stayed here when my boss' plans changed and there were no other places available at this price range ($250). I had read the review from BeachLoverMidWestUSA on this site and the review is right on. There are better beaches (Honeymoon Bay on Water Island and Megan's Bay) and the place is in need of remodeling. You will absolutely need a car and even then eating in Redhook is tough due to minimal parking and crowds. The kitchen, though minimal, would be welcome by families. The bay is beautiful and so are the views. If you are on a ground floor, you step right out to the beach which is pebblely but I did appreciate the trees for the shade. There is wireless internet only in the lobby and it was awefully slow probably due to all the firewalls. It was like getting a security clearance to get an access code. If you stay in building A you may be able to pick it up in your room. Not a terrible place by any means, but for the money I'd stay someplace else or pony up for a little more and stay at the Ritz or the Wyndham. In my opinion, does not deserve the Number 1 rating on this site.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled on business
6  Thank Isoar
A TripAdvisor Member
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 10, 2006

Love Sapphire Resort. We stayed in Bldg F with a Marina view. The room was good, friendly staff. The beach is beautiful. Did not visit the restaurants, we could not find them. Overall we had a great experience

• Stayed: June 2006