“Relaxing!”

Antilles At Sapphire Beach Resort
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
“Relaxing!”
Reviewed April 23, 2005

We stayed at Sapphire Beach April 15-22nd, rented through Antilles Management. I had asked for an upper floor unit, but found the ground floor unit (building C) that we were assigned to be a great location with easy access to the beach. Sapphire beach is beautiful, one of the best beaches on St. Thomas. The complex itself is very laid back & relaxing, and the staff was very friendly to us. Our room was clean, we never saw a bug inside the whole week. I was happy to have a small kitchen, and we stocked up on our own breakfast food & snacks, as well as frozen drink mixes, rum & ice. If you rent through Antilles, you are not eligible for the free kids club that Sapphire runs, which was not an issue for us since our kids are older. If you have small kids & want to utilize the kids club, I’d recommend that you rent directly through Sapphire, there is no difference in the rooms, just the price (Antilles was less expensive). This is a great hotel for families, we all enjoyed ourselves and will be back!

• Stayed April 2005
8 Thank BBC495

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 23, 2005

My family just returned from Antilles at Sapphire Beach last week. We had a wonderful time. The rooms look exactly like what is posted on the website. It is true that the floors can be a bit stained, etc. but they are clean. We had no problems with bugs, etc. The beds were comfortable, and there was plenty of parking. There are even a trailer to do laundry if you need. If you are looking for a decent room at a fabulous location, book a room at Sapphire beach.

We stayed in room D110 (near the pool). We LOVED this location. Because the beach in front of our condo was a bit rocky, no one ever came near our room. We had a ground floor room that was literally 30 feet from the ocean. We were about 10 feet from the pool and bar area as well. We had a patio (with a beach view) with a patio table, 4 chairs and 2 chaise lounges. We ate breakfast every morning on the patio. It was wonderful!! I am SO glad we were located on the quieter side of the resort. The main restaurant had a beach party on Sunday and the music can get pretty loud and the beach very crowded. From our room, we didn't hear anything. We loved the privacy.

We had a very pleasant stay. We had no problems with the Antilles people. The housekeeping staff was friendly and always gave us extra towels, etc. We went to St. Thomas in the middle of April and it was very quiet. There were a few other families vacationing at the same time, but it was a very family friendly place. The kids loved the beach and the pool. There are 2 pools, a kiddie pool that is about 3" deep and a main pool. There were always enough beach chairs at any time of the day.

Since we booked our room though Antilles, we had to pay $5 for beach chairs, floats, etc at the beach shack, but we were reimbursed by them at the end of our stay. We were told to keep all our reciepts and they would pay us back. We were given snorkel and tennis gear from the Antilles folks.

We didn't eat at any of the restaurants. Instead we purchased quick food items from the grocery store in Red Hook and cooked our own b-fast and lunches. Monday nights they have a party near the bar where they serve punch, cookies, wings, meatballs. etc.

As far as restaurants, we at Duffy's one night (we didn't like it too much).
The bar was loud and the food was just so-so. Off the hook was mediocre food with an expensive price tag. Agave (Near Point Pleasant resort) was wonderful! It is expensive, but it was very nice. We paid $160 for a family of 4 but we had salad, wine, 4 dinners and dessert. They have a kids menu as well. Senor pizza was so-so. The pizza wasn't the greatest and the salad was disgusting! The Chineese restaurant in Red Hook was quite good! Burrito Bay Deli was a fun place for lunch. It does take a while to get your food though! Paradise Point is a fun place to take the kids (on the tram) and watch the sunset. There is a restaurant/bar at the top of the hill that has great mixed drinks and sandwiches. We went there twice during our stay. There is a bird show that the kids really enjoyed.

Coral world was a fun place to take the kids for an afternoon. They enjoyed the shark feeding and the touch pool. Since some of the exhibits are indoors it is a good way to get out of the midday sun.

Overall, we had a wonderful time and would return again.

• Stayed April 2005
12 Thank Mumto2teens
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 29, 2005

When we first got there, the Carribean breeze carried the fun island music from the hotel's outdoor bar over the pristine white beach and we knew we were in paradise. The room itself - fully stocked with beds, couches, tables and chairs, TVs, refrigerator, stove, microwave, blender, etc. - was one of the nicest I've ever been in. The service was friendly but thorough. The reception was very accommodating, especially in terms of organizing taxis into town. A great view, a great location, a great choice!

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 23, 2005

Antilles Resorts at Sapphire beach was an excellent place for my three friends and I during our trip to the USVI. We stayed in a two-floor condo style room with a full kitchen. The service was great and the room was spotless. The room was in excellent shape and the kitchen had everything we needed.......including a blender for some Pina Coladas that we sipped on our balcony overlooking the beach. The beach was very spacious and had a great view of the islands. The room had two pullout beds and one king, providing us four guys with more than enough room. I would recommend Antilles Resorts at Sapphire Beach to anyone looking to take a trip to the USVI.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Houston, TX
Reviewed March 22, 2005

Sapphire Beach may be the best place to stay on the island. Its views are perfect, and it is full of character, especially on sunday afternoons. Very welcoming environment, and full of people of all ages. Rooms are beautiful and beautifully kept. Great location, right near Red Hook. Everything about this hotel was perfect!

6 Thank Tammer Q
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed March 15, 2005

I was price conscious when I booked this trip and was scheduled to stay at the Sapphire Village Condominiums. For those who don't know, there are three Sapphire Beach developments on the same general property: Crystal Cove, Antilles Resorts, and the Village Condos. The first two are on the beach, although Antilles Resorts is directly on the beach. The Village Condos are on a hill above the marina which is directly adjacent to the beach. The entire property is okay - when you arrive the only thing that will catch your eye is the amazing view of St. John and various islands popping out of the sapphire blue waters. There are construction signs on the property indicating an impending renovation, but a cab driver indicated that the renovation has been in the works for more than 10 years.

When I arrived I learned that I had been upgraded from the Village Condos to the Antilles Beach Resort. Thank God! I never saw the inside of the Village Condos. Their location at the top of the hill offered beach views, but still required a walk downhill to get to the beach. This isn't the end of the world, and since Sapphire Beach is a beautiful beach and since the resort has two restaurants and a pool, the Village Condos can't be that bad.

But thank God I was upgraded.

At the Antilles Resort the buildings are labeled A - F. F is not on the beach but overlooks the marina. I imagine people staying in F felt short-changed, and for good reason. I stayed on the ground level of building D. I could not have asked for a better room. Since I was on the ground level, my unit had its own private patio which led directly to the beach. The water was literally about 30 feet from the patio edge. From the unit I could see clear across the water to St. John. It gets better. One of the development's two restaurants and the pool were maybe 40 feet from the patio. At my end of the beach it was never crowded, so at any time I could walk right out, leave the sliding patio door open, grab a seat, and sit on the beach. I could order any drink I wanted from the restaurant several steps away. It was essentially my own private beach. Buildings A-C are set back a little more from the beach and are on near the more crowded section of the beach - but don't be turned off by that. The beach is relatively well kept and there is plenty of space for sunbathing and recreation.

The decor of the room is nothing to write home about - picture a mid to low level Marriott with a mid-80's hotel feel to it - like the furniture was purchased from the set of Miami Vice or something. There was central air and a basic kitchen that was more functional than attractive. Cheesy furniture, basic amenities, tile everywhere. But I knew that I did not book the Ritz, and it wasn't that bad, so it was cool. The entire development is more of a retirement village than anything else - there are a lot of American retirees in St. Thomas. Many own a condo on Sapphire Beach. This was not a bad thing, though - everyone was freindly.

The location was convenient also - the town of Red Hook is literally down the hill - less than a 5 minute drive. There are several restaurants, a Coldstone Cremery, a video store, a cybercafe (where the computers were in repair the duration of my stay), two banks, a grocery store, and several other shops. There you can catch the ferry to St. John - its maybe 20 minutes to St. John. Trunk Bay is a St. John beach rated one of the world's 10 best by the Travel Channel. It is breathtaking, so I recommend going there.

Overall I don't think I could have booked better for the money. While I was really paying for the Village Condos, I would spend the extra money to stay on the beach at the Antilles Resorts. I would even consider buying one. The Wyndam is next door and while it is definately a better appointed and more attractive resort, its the next resort up the road and essentially shares the same beach. Unless you are a resort snob (which I aspire to be, so its not a bad thing), save the money for the Wyndam and spend it at Sapphire Beach. I went to the Wyndam to get a massage. I spoke with Sapphire Village people who went there to use the workout room. Save your money and do the same.

St. Thomas is beautiful. Enjoy!

22 Thank Christopher T
Philadelphia
Reviewed January 18, 2005

I don't think the price of 250 USD a night was a bit too much even during peak season. I stayed in F205 from January 1st to January 7th. I was told it was ocean front but all condos in the F section face the Marina. When I arrived at 3:30 pm the room still had not been cleaned. We got to leave the bags there but the room wasn't ready till 6:30 pm. They made up for this and allowed a later check out at 1:30 PM. The rooms are OK, nothing fancy. Couch is very uncomfortable but a very spacious deck. Having a fully supplied kitchen was nice. The beach at Sapphire resorts is definitely the best. In my opinion it is nicer than Magen Bay. I was told Best Western Emerald beach is nicer but you have to deal with the airport noise. Their pool is small and the beach tends to get crowded the days the Cruise ships come in. Service is slow everywhere. It's a mixture of their laid back lifestyle and most places being a "mom & pop" establishments. Exceptions to this was the restaurant at Bluebeard's Castle called the Room with a View but you paid for the service and it was run like a 4 star restaurant. I believe our dinner with one bottle of wine ended up to be 160 USD. I found excellent service in restaurants staffed by mainland Americans. For example, East End Cafe in Red Hook. You find waiting to be the longest at the bar. The bartenders tend to serve the locals first and if you aren't out right rude to get there attention than you could be standing for 10 minutes before you get a drink. Cabs are expensive since they charge per person. For example, it’s only 3 dollars for a cab ride from Sapphire Beach to Red Hook which is about 1 mile. So a 6 dollar round trip cab ride turns into 12 for two people to go about 2 miles. From Sapphire it was 3 dollars to Red Hook, 6 or 8 to "Town" Charlotte Amalie and 12 to Airport. Definitely ask for the price before getting in the cab.

My feeling of St Thomas is that it is getting old and run down. The waters are beautiful but next time I visit the area I may want to check out another island outside of the Virgin Islands. I also spent a week sailing in the BVIs. These islands were a lot more secluded but even more beautiful. Best beaches: Virgin Gorda – Bitterend Resort; Jost Van Dyke – White Bay; Anegada – Cow Wreck Beach

If you are in Red Hook, go to the “Poor Mans Bar” also known as the “Wharehouse”. It’s small and appears to be a dump but I had a lot of fun in there. You can roll dice against the bartender and see if you get your drink for free! Good luck.

8 Thank sleeper01