“A Magnificent Return!”
Review of Sand Dollar Estate

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Thomas
Sand Dollar Estate
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our family of 22 returned to Sand Dollar for our second consecutive year. What can I say? Fantastic, marvelous, extraordinary. Absolute paradise. Everything about this vacation was enjoyed by every single one of us. For starters, Suzanne, the owner, is a wonderful person to deal with. Her primary concern is that her clients are completely happy. And we certainly were! Bob, the resident manager, is an extraordinary gentleman, who obviously cares very deeply about what he does. We thoroughly enjoyed him. We used local chef and caterer, Shelly Berry of Shelly's Cakes and Catering to provide us with several meals. Her food is fantastic and she is a sheer delight. The villa suited our family to perfection. We are a well traveled family and put Sand Dollar at the top of our list for a fun-filled and satisfying vacation. It was five star week from start to finish.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Joe L

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed at Sand Dollar Estate in St. Thomas on February 2013. The property was perfect for our large group. The setting was wonderful and relaxing with a lot to do. The interior of the house was spacious and clean with a well-stocked kitchen and all the modern appliances.

Bob, the manager, was very friendly. He met us at the airport and made multiple trips to meet our friends who arrived at different times. It saved us a lot on taxi fare. He also pre-stocked our groceries. We had everything we needed to start our vacation. He was always pleasant and willing to help while we were there.

We had Monica cook for us for several nights. She was delightful and accommodating as must of us have very different dietary requirements.

The fishing right off the private beach was incredible! We caught tarpon, bonefish, and grouper. Best beach we ever stayed on! Plan at least one day to see the other islands. Dine out a couple of nights, I'd recommend Old Stone Farm House and Mafolie. Book a massage at the spa. Try the Mahogany Run Golf Course, only 5 minutes away. Check the cruise ship schedule and avoid downtown when they are busy. Don't use Verizon Wireless, they will hit you with roaming charges for phone and data. AT&T is much better in the islands. Ask Suzanne, the owner, for suggestions for activities.

Overall, we had a great time! We will definitely return next year.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Beth C
Reviewed March 22, 2013

The house and location are absolutely beautiful although some of the pictures are outdated. I've stayed in many vacation houses as we live near the outer banks, NC however this house needs some work and believe me-the staff is rude. While this location is amazing, the house has many issues that were never addressed. Bob is the property manager who also lives below the Little Sand Dollar. The week started off getting picked up an hour late from the airport, arriving to the house only to find all patio furniture stacked in one corner of the patios. We settled in an had a wonderful week however here is a list of the issues that we had that were never fixed despite alerting Bob several times: 1. light bulbs were out all over the house-in one of the rooms we were told the light just didn't work. 2. the dishwasher didn't drain and our handyman friend actually had to fix it as it was never installed properly into a sink with a garbage disposal-Bob yelled at our friend and his pregnant wife for fixing it. 3. the refrigerator leaked 4. the bathroom in the gym was broken with an apparently old sign saying not to use it-one of the guests at our wedding did, and was yelled at by bob. 5. the sheets were never changed despite paying for it to be done twice. 6. The DirectTV on the lower level not only doesn't work but DirectTV said there is not even an account for these TVs when we called. 7. The pool table is broken.
Despite these issues we still had a wonderful week and enjoyed the scenery. It would be a great place with just a handyman who knew how to fix things and completely different and courteous staff. Listen to the people about Monica- she is one of the rudest people we ever met. Two of our friends are GMs at hotels and were appalled by the staff and poor maintenance at the Sand Dollar. We were not a high maintenance group, we just wanted lights, toilets and kitchen appliances to work or at least be fixed. Again loved the location but too many issues to overlook to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank AZM1978
sanddollarestate, Owner at Sand Dollar Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

We wish to thank you for taking the time to submit your review of our home, Sand Dollar Estate, on 2/22/2013 and 3/22/2013. Both reviews were related to a wedding which took place at the Estate during the first week of December 2012. I truly wish we had been made aware of your dissatisfactions during the course of your stay. My husband or I would have flown down (we live in New Jersey) to help rectify the problems. We are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with every aspect of our home.

Providing our guests with the best possible experience, including hospitality, service, and location, has been our mission since we purchased Sand Dollar 15 years ago. We have hosted President and Mrs. Clinton, Vice-President and Mrs. Gore, and countless celebrities and dignitaries over the years. We have never had a negative review like this, and this is undoubtedly why we were awarded the Best Vacation Villa by TripAdvisor last year.

My husband and I returned from Sand Dollar just last week and I cannot express the impact your reviews have had on our staff. They took your comments extremely personally, which shows us how dedicated they are and how much they value their jobs. Every issue which you noted has been addressed. Should you ever decide to give Sand Dollar another "chance", I can assure you that everything will be perfect.

On a personal note, Stephen and I wish you a long and healthy life together as husband and wife, and please let me know if there is anything we can do for you in the future.

Suzanne S. Levine
Owner

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have stayed at the Sand Dollar twice. Both times I have had excellent service and a relaxing, rejuvenating stay! Whenever one visits the island (as I have done multiple times over the last five years) one must remember that renting a house is different than staying at a hotel. Friendly service often depends upon how one treats the gracious people of St. Thomas.

The staff at the Sand Dollar has always been wonderful, polite and attentive. The facilities have been consistently updated and are always in excellent repair.

I will continue to enjoy my time in St. Thomas while staying at the Sand Dollar and would advise anyone considering it to do the same!

PS Make sure to hop into town...the jewelry shopping is fabulous...as well as the resteraunts down by the docks....if you can , rent a boat and go fishing!! It is worth it.

Rachael McQuillan

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rachael M
Reviewed February 22, 2013

It's a crying shame that I can't give this property a higher review. Unfortunately, the price and reputation forces me to hold the property to higher standards than others I've stayed in. Don't get me wrong, the house is lovely but I was disappointed by the cleanliness and state of repair that the home was in. I was also rather appalled by how the house staff treated my friends and I. This isn't to say that the house isn't in a gorgeous location. It most assuredly is...that's undeniable. The private beach is great and sitting in the breeze on the balcony is also very nice. One major issue was with the appliances. The dishwasher flooded the kitchen floor twice and the refigerator also leaked pretty badly. I wouldn't be surprised if it leaked through to the room below. None of the televisions on the lower level worked either. There were also bathroom issues. The house staff was not very helpful in solving any of these problems. The guests were forced to deal with them. The staff was also unavailable to move patio furniture while the caterers were setting up for my best friends wedding. Some of the guests ended up doing it. Between all of these issues and the fact that the staff did not handle things graciously (yelling and confrontation instead which made things very awkward) this isn't a place I would ever consider in the future. It's a shame because it really could be a spectacular place with just a little TLC and better customer service.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Kristy28B
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had the honor of staying in this beautiful paradise! The beach is beyond anything I have ever seen. No need for water shoes just walk right in and enjoy! We had twelve children in our party ranging from 15 years to 11 months and all the time of their life. There was plenty to keep them busy for ten days.
Pros: Bob!!!!, best beach on Island, pool, lots of room to soak up the sun, couchs ands chairs can pulled out for extra beds for kids to use, great workout room, spa room, outside showers!
Cons: Bottom rooms are not accessible from inside, pool table is broken, Monica - this "chef" is a mediocre cook with more attitude than talent! We asked her to leave after a day and a half (Instead get Shelly to prepare a meal or two, great personality and the food was amazing). The house needs some TLC but overall it is still Paradise

We were honored to stay at the "White House of St. Thomas". A huge thank you goes out to the owners, Bob and our Mom/Dad/Gma/Gpa who made our vacation so wonderful!

If you are lucky enough to enjoy a stay here, go and experience paradise.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Amy R
Reviewed January 27, 2013

Just got back from a week at the Sand Dollar estate. It was the perfect destination for our 3 generation family of twelve. The views from the house were amazing. The workout room and spa room were beautifly appointed. The owner was very nice, helpful and easy to work with. Bob the caretaker did a good job correcting the many small things that were broken or that needed attention. One couple was moved to a separate building called the Little Sand Dollar when water started coming through the ceiling during the night. It was worth sleeping one night in a puddle to get to stay there for the balance of the week. It was spectacular. Now the bad stuff.
If you decide to have a cook as we did, you might want to ask who it will be.
We had a very disagreeable woman named Monica as our "chef". None of us had ever been talked to
like she did to us. The time she was with us each day was very uncomfortable. Maybe we caught her on a bad week.
Other than that I doubt you could do better than the Sand Dollar.

Room Tip: Get dibbs on the bedroom at the little Sand dollar