“WE RETURNED AFTER 3 YRS & ONCE AGAIN FOUND OUR TRUE PARADISE UNCHANGED!!”

Crystal Cove Beach Resort on Sapphire Bay
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Humble, Texas
“WE RETURNED AFTER 3 YRS & ONCE AGAIN FOUND OUR TRUE PARADISE UNCHANGED!!”
Reviewed February 12, 2010

After a 3 yr. hiatus, we {husband & I, son & daughter-in-law and granddaughter (8) and grandson (13)} returned to Crystal Cove for an 8 day vacation. Once again, everything was total perfection. Actually, this trip was even better since our grandson had just finished becoming a certified scuba diver and was able to accompany his parents on all their dives. While the 3 of them were off diving, my husband, granddaughter & I were able to enjoy several of St. Thomas' highlights that we missed on our last trip, i.e., The St. Thomas Sky Ride, Coral World at Coki Beach and Udder Delite Ice Cream Bar where they make the BEST ice cream shakes. Sapphire Beach (just outside of our Deluxe Suite condo unit in Building A) is still as pristene as always.
As an additional plus this trip, since our flight wasn't due into St. Thomas until 5pm, I called Ms. Norma-our housekeeper extraordinaire the week before our arrival to ask her if she could possibly pick up a few basic items for us. Before I gave her a list, she named all the things I would have thought of plus a few more and when we arrived, each of our 2 condo units had fresh milk, orange juice, eggs, ice, bacon, cereal, bread, etc. which allowed me to prepare a great breakfast for everyone our first morning there, before I made a trip to one of several supermarkets on the island for the rest of our needs. Since the units have full kitchens, we made full use of them, preparing breakfast every morning and dinner most evenings as well as lunch on the couple of days when we just hung around to relax on the beach. When feediing a family of 4 adults & 2 kiddos, cooking & eating in saves a bundle. Having a washer & dryer in each unit is also a great feature. All in all, St. Thomas is by far our favorite island and Crystal Cove Resort (Building A-deluxe suites) has the BESTaccommodations on the island. Actually, our son, daughter-in-law and grandkids call it their "Home Away From Home". It just doesn't get any better than that!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Texchefdom

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
PA
Reviewed February 11, 2010

My husband and I just returned from our 3rd trip to STT staying at Crystal Cove. While the other 2 condos were great, our stay in C-19 was EXCELLENT! I wrote an extensive review of our stay on VRBO #154691. I'm not going to repeat it all here, but wanted to share a few other comments.
After reading some of the recent reviews, I would urge would-be renters to consider VRBO vs. either Travelocity or rental companies managing condos at CC. In all 3 of our experiences, we have had excellent communication with the owners. The condos were as advertised and we were not disappointed.
All CC condos are NOT equal! The complex was built in 1969 and some of the units have not been upgraded at all. We spoke at length with a woman who is an original owner and she told us there is wide variation among the condos re: furnishings, amenities and general upkeep. Remember too, that this is NOT a resort- no concierge, restaurants or other guest services. You are renting a condo-you may choose to eat meals in or out, but you will have to trek a bit to find a restaurant. Sapphire Beach next door, has a beach bar and grill going most days (apparently, this is "on again" and subject to change) and there were servers taking food and drink orders on the beach.
C-19 had it all- amenities that one does not always find in condo rentals- paper towels, toilet paper, soaps, foils and plastic wrap. There were plenty of dishes and glassware, excellent beds, plush towels, good pillows, up-to-date electronics,cleaning supplies,and a small W/D. It was completely redone in '07. The condo was IMMACULATE when we arrived-very important to me. It was a pleasure dealing with the owner; an absolutely delightful man.
The grounds are very nicely maintained at CC. The beach is the BEST!
We have always rented a car-makes getting around easier and I suspect not much more $$ than using the taxis- it adds up quickly!
We had a delayed arrival after a stressful start, so literally sat on the beach, raving about how gorgeous it is. On our other trips we took day sails and the ferry to STJ and snorkeled all over STT. This time-we chilled out ; bad choice of words considering we returned to the massive snow storm in PA.
It really was our best vacation ever!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank love2travel082
England
Reviewed February 11, 2010

Stayed in unit B-11 for a few nights following a trip to Tortola. Great condo and so well equipped - just like being in your own home, but with sunshine and a beach ! Grounds immaculate and everyone so friendly. Condo is only a few steps from the fabulous beach which has plenty of sunbeds and chairs for visitors, plus great snorkelling just a few metres out. Will definitely go back, but for longer. Thanks to Steve and Norma for making us feel so welcome.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ineedsunshineEngland
New Hampshire
Reviewed February 10, 2010

We have stayed at Crystal Cove twice . . once in the C building (1BR/2BA) and once in the D building (2BR/2BA). We love Crystal Cove - and Sapphire Beach. Crystal Cove is not part of the Sapphire Beach Resort - but is located on Sapphire Beach. We swam with sea turtles every day. Each condo has a charcoal grill, the grounds are lovely, everything well maintained and clean. We can't wait to get back.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Donnamatrix
Southern Illinois
Reviewed February 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Crystal Cove Unit 27D from 1/19 - 1/26, and rented through VRBO. Brent and Claudia Dall's condo is very nice; they have updated their unit with beautiful furniture and modern touches. Brent was very helpful and informative and made himself available by email or cell phone to answer all my questions. We had no problem being in the "D" bldg. as a previous reviewer mentioned. Norma was a joy; she was very helpful and her staff came in to clean and change our sheets a couple times.

We selected Crystal Cove because of reviews of the snorkeling right off the beach and we were not disappointed. We snorkeled every day either at Sapphire or other beaches on the island. In my opinion, the left side of Sapphire Beach was the best snorkeling on St. Thomas. We also snorkeled at Trunk Bay on St. John, and that was wonderful too.

We really enjoyed having the space that our unit provided. We like to have a couch and chair to relax in and watch a little TV in the evening. And we were able to eat breakfast and lunch in our room and splurge on some great evening meals.

Another point I would add was that the beach was never ever crowded. And we were never bothered by bugs on the beach that some folks have mentioned. There were quite a few retirees staying at CC, who owned their condo/apartment and either lived there full-time or came down for the winter months. Those folks are so friendly; they all socialize with each other under the shade trees, and several gentlemen go for a swim around 4 pm each afternoon. This is a really laid back resort which was just perfect for my husband and I. I noticed only one family on the beach while we were there and there were a few 40/50s like us, but mostly the senior crowd.

We had a wonderful vacation in St. Thomas and staying at Crystal Cove was the perfect place for us to stay!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lilyfarm80
Washington DC
Reviewed February 3, 2010

My family just came back from a fantastic vacation! We had a great place to stay, (my wife said it was the great-est place to stay), on a great beach (my wife says the great-est beach), with great weather (you guessed it, the great-est weather). We stayed in a Deluxe Suite in A Building, right on the beach which was so convenient with the kids where bathroom breaks and food were just a few steps away. We paid a little more to be in A Building, and it was well worth it.
The beach is perfect. The water is clear, and we saw little fish even when we were wading. We also snorkeled just a little further out—beautiful reefs and a wider variety of colorful fish. I swam out a little further and saw a few turtles too. We booked through bestbeach.com and I understand why they use that website name.
Our Suite was A4, and even I admit the views were the great-est! We had a beautiful panorama of Crystal Cove beach, then the Bay, and then both the British Virgin Island of Tortola, and U.S. St. John. It’s amazing how close St John is. We could see house tops during the day, and lights from St. John at night. It’s only a 20 minute ferry ride away. The ferry terminal, which seems new, is in Red Hook which is only a mile from Crystal Cove.
Our Suite was perfect for our family. My wife and I had our own bedroom and bathroom with a very comfortable king size bed, and the kids slept in the living room, which is huge. Two of them on Murphy beds that came out of the wall, and one on an air bed. And they had their own bathroom. They loved it! Compliments to Norma and her crew for keeping everything spot clean! With three kids, our house isn’t kept as clean, and having maid service every day was a treat – especially with the sand from the beach and the amount of towels you go through on a beach vacation.
The kitchen had everything we needed. We filled the big refrigerator with food so we could have breakfast in every day, along with lunches and snacks when we weren’t sightseeing. There was a full size microwave, as well as a stove and oven and all the pots and pans we could use, and even a dishwasher. One night we enjoyed using the barbeque, but several nights we ate out in Red Hook. We had very good meals at East End, (Italian), and next door at The Cellar (more Cosmopolitan), -both had excellent food and service, and there was a discount because we ate at both. Duffy’s Love Shack was fun, and easy for the kids with hamburgers and fries. Speaking of hamburgers, we had big delicious hamburgers at Shipwreck Tavern across from Havensight Cruise terminal. They were so good we had lunch there a second time on a day we went shopping. There are a lot of upscale shops near Havensight in a new area called Yacht Haven with a very attractive open air restaurant called Wicked or Wikked where the yachts seem to dock. We did however find the service there somewhat slow.
All in all, it was a great family vacation. We met the couple in the suite next to ours who were celebrating their anniversary and seemed to be having a great time too. They recommended a restaurant called the Stone Farmhouse. Made my wife and I think about coming back just the two of us for a getaway.
If you’re thinking about a beach vacation or visiting St. Thomas – this is the place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
cincy, ohio
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Yes, I think there are two different Crystal Coves. We booked our vac. through Travelocity. Travelocity advertised Crystal Cove Condos ( they did not mention Sapphire Resort or Antilles Resort ). I had high expectations after reading all the good reviews. When we arrived @ CC, we were sent to the Sapphire hotel to check-in. We were assigned condo unit B-3, when we walked in our hearts simmediately SUNK. It was HORRIBLE !!-- reminded me of a roadside $ 39.99 special. We were tired from travel all day. We tried to sleep on the bed -- lumpy, thin mattress-- very, very uncomfortable !
Got up the next morning, needed coffee and shower. The coffee pot broke after just a half-a-pot. Okay, lets shower ( we really needed a shower.) & go eat breakfast in Red Hook. Guess what-- no water. A water main had broken. I was terribly disappointed and upset. I marched over to the Sapphire desk, and demanded a different room. There was only one there unit available, sometime around noon.
We started talking to some of the other people staying there, it seems their condo units were very nice. People started showing us some of the units they were staying in. The units other people were staying in were very, very nice.--- I definitely felt screwed by Travelocity. I called Travelocity and told them we were checking out, & I wanted a refund for the remaing nights. After 3 or 4 phone calls, Travelocity agreed to reimburse me for the remaing nights, if I choose to check-out. I checked out !!-- but stayed (a little confusing)
I've stayed at Secret Harbour the previous 2 years, & immediately wanted to go back tto Secret Harbour. People at CC are very friendly & nice. Norma, manages some the condos @ CC, she heard about our delinma. She managed to find us a very nice condo for the remaining stay, so we wouldn't have to leave CC. All the condos seem to be privatedly owned, but are managed by different management.
After moving to a different condo, we were extremely pleased. We finally got a SHOWER !! THANK YOU NORMA !!!
Breakfast (awesome) & dinner at Molly Malone's was very good. Pizza ( Senor Pizza)delivered one night on the beach was very good.
What could've turned aout to be a horrible experience, turned out to be one of the best vac. ever !! My advice, DO NOT book your condo through Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, etc.
You need to go to VRBO, to get what you pay for. Crystal Cove probably should be advertised a vac. rentals, instead of Hotel/ Resort.
Shame on the owner of B-3. --- You really set a bad example for CC.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple