“Building A is the greatest! Well worth the difference.”

Crystal Cove Beach Resort on Sapphire Bay
Ranked #13 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Washington DC
“Building A is the greatest! Well worth the difference.”
Reviewed February 3, 2010

My family just came back from a fantastic vacation! We had a great place to stay, (my wife said it was the great-est place to stay), on a great beach (my wife says the great-est beach), with great weather (you guessed it, the great-est weather). We stayed in a Deluxe Suite in A Building, right on the beach which was so convenient with the kids where bathroom breaks and food were just a few steps away. We paid a little more to be in A Building, and it was well worth it.
The beach is perfect. The water is clear, and we saw little fish even when we were wading. We also snorkeled just a little further out—beautiful reefs and a wider variety of colorful fish. I swam out a little further and saw a few turtles too. We booked through bestbeach.com and I understand why they use that website name.
Our Suite was A4, and even I admit the views were the great-est! We had a beautiful panorama of Crystal Cove beach, then the Bay, and then both the British Virgin Island of Tortola, and U.S. St. John. It’s amazing how close St John is. We could see house tops during the day, and lights from St. John at night. It’s only a 20 minute ferry ride away. The ferry terminal, which seems new, is in Red Hook which is only a mile from Crystal Cove.
Our Suite was perfect for our family. My wife and I had our own bedroom and bathroom with a very comfortable king size bed, and the kids slept in the living room, which is huge. Two of them on Murphy beds that came out of the wall, and one on an air bed. And they had their own bathroom. They loved it! Compliments to Norma and her crew for keeping everything spot clean! With three kids, our house isn’t kept as clean, and having maid service every day was a treat – especially with the sand from the beach and the amount of towels you go through on a beach vacation.
The kitchen had everything we needed. We filled the big refrigerator with food so we could have breakfast in every day, along with lunches and snacks when we weren’t sightseeing. There was a full size microwave, as well as a stove and oven and all the pots and pans we could use, and even a dishwasher. One night we enjoyed using the barbeque, but several nights we ate out in Red Hook. We had very good meals at East End, (Italian), and next door at The Cellar (more Cosmopolitan), -both had excellent food and service, and there was a discount because we ate at both. Duffy’s Love Shack was fun, and easy for the kids with hamburgers and fries. Speaking of hamburgers, we had big delicious hamburgers at Shipwreck Tavern across from Havensight Cruise terminal. They were so good we had lunch there a second time on a day we went shopping. There are a lot of upscale shops near Havensight in a new area called Yacht Haven with a very attractive open air restaurant called Wicked or Wikked where the yachts seem to dock. We did however find the service there somewhat slow.
All in all, it was a great family vacation. We met the couple in the suite next to ours who were celebrating their anniversary and seemed to be having a great time too. They recommended a restaurant called the Stone Farmhouse. Made my wife and I think about coming back just the two of us for a getaway.
If you’re thinking about a beach vacation or visiting St. Thomas – this is the place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
cincy, ohio
Reviewed January 24, 2010

Yes, I think there are two different Crystal Coves. We booked our vac. through Travelocity. Travelocity advertised Crystal Cove Condos ( they did not mention Sapphire Resort or Antilles Resort ). I had high expectations after reading all the good reviews. When we arrived @ CC, we were sent to the Sapphire hotel to check-in. We were assigned condo unit B-3, when we walked in our hearts simmediately SUNK. It was HORRIBLE !!-- reminded me of a roadside $ 39.99 special. We were tired from travel all day. We tried to sleep on the bed -- lumpy, thin mattress-- very, very uncomfortable !
Got up the next morning, needed coffee and shower. The coffee pot broke after just a half-a-pot. Okay, lets shower ( we really needed a shower.) & go eat breakfast in Red Hook. Guess what-- no water. A water main had broken. I was terribly disappointed and upset. I marched over to the Sapphire desk, and demanded a different room. There was only one there unit available, sometime around noon.
We started talking to some of the other people staying there, it seems their condo units were very nice. People started showing us some of the units they were staying in. The units other people were staying in were very, very nice.--- I definitely felt screwed by Travelocity. I called Travelocity and told them we were checking out, & I wanted a refund for the remaing nights. After 3 or 4 phone calls, Travelocity agreed to reimburse me for the remaing nights, if I choose to check-out. I checked out !!-- but stayed (a little confusing)
I've stayed at Secret Harbour the previous 2 years, & immediately wanted to go back tto Secret Harbour. People at CC are very friendly & nice. Norma, manages some the condos @ CC, she heard about our delinma. She managed to find us a very nice condo for the remaining stay, so we wouldn't have to leave CC. All the condos seem to be privatedly owned, but are managed by different management.
After moving to a different condo, we were extremely pleased. We finally got a SHOWER !! THANK YOU NORMA !!!
Breakfast (awesome) & dinner at Molly Malone's was very good. Pizza ( Senor Pizza)delivered one night on the beach was very good.
What could've turned aout to be a horrible experience, turned out to be one of the best vac. ever !! My advice, DO NOT book your condo through Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, etc.
You need to go to VRBO, to get what you pay for. Crystal Cove probably should be advertised a vac. rentals, instead of Hotel/ Resort.
Shame on the owner of B-3. --- You really set a bad example for CC.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jer5t
California
Reviewed January 23, 2010

This unit is individually owned and we rented via Vacation Rentals By Owner. http://www.vrbo.com/197724 The condo is decorated very nicely, comfortable newer beds, appliances in good shape and is a great location, virtually right on the sand. There are some books to read and some snorkeling gear in the unit.

The A building is the closest to the beach if you want the best views. Otherwise, Building B and C are not bad assuming the apartment is nicely done and well maintained. Building D has trash dumpsters in the rear. I wouldn't stay there. We met some people who had rented in Bldg B via Travelocity and a general booking agent for units just there as revenue property and those people were miserable. Rent from an owner that actually uses the place.

(There are 3 lodging facilities at Sapphire. Stay away from the series of buildings in the middle - Sapphire Beach Condos (with the red roofs). It is in disrepair and in some sort of legal problems. As you face the water the one on the right is Sapphire Beach Resort and Marina. It has views of the marina, but the beach is not all that accessible without a walk .You want Crystal Cove which is on the left as you face the water! )

Sapphire Beach is very good for snorkeling. The extreme left side of the beach has some shallow reefs where the water actually breaks over them. Swim farther out and from an area that does not have waves breaking in and make a left. Nice coral, fish, even saw a sea turtle!

We did 2 different excursions (1) Rumbaba Sailing/Snorkeling out of Redhook . Max 6 guests. Outstanding! (2) Bad Kitty excursion out of St John Cruz Bay to BVIs which was very good but the boat was only about half full. If there were more people, I'd say it would be way to crowded for the available space.

Have bug spray available when out at night no mater where you are on the island!!!!
Pick up a copy of “This Week in St. Thomas” at the airport or elsewhere. It has a calendar of what ships are in each day. Stay away from the crowds in Charlotte Amalie if there are more than 2 ships in. Driving is on the left but I didn't have a problem. I found in easier than driving in England. Steering wheels are on the left like here on the mainland (vs on the right in England). The max speed limit is 35mph and watch out for pot holes.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
5 Thank richnjca
Dana Point, California
Reviewed January 14, 2010

First of all, we were staying only one night before picking up a catamaran at Red Hook. Crystal Cove would not have been my first choice but I waited too long to book a room for December 26th so my options were limited. The TripAdvisor reviews and rating plus the pictures of Crystal Cove were all very favorable. With that in mind, I had a "I'm sure it will be fine, it's only one night" attitude.

Despite two long distance calls requesting a reservation confirmation which I never received, I was a little concerned about the professionalism. We arrived from the airport about 5 minutes before the office closed and there was confusion about my reservation but we were directed to condo B10.

The condo was old, old, old and not well maintained. The light colored couch and chairs were badly stained and the bed clothing seemed well used. The unit had a strong "creepy" factor. But worst of all, we knew that our night at Crystal Cove would be the last serious hot shower before boarding the catamaran. We had just flown all night from LA and were really looking forward to getting a shower before heading out to dinner. Well, there was NO hot water and the office was closed for the day. Next morning maintenance looked at the water heater and determined that it was not safe to re-light the pilot. I received an 8% reduction on the quoted rate which I thought was a joke but I was just glad to get out of there and looked forward to the hot 2 gallon showers on the boat.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank malibufan
Houston
Reviewed January 2, 2010

My family arrived at the Crystal Cove Beach Resort filled with anticipation based on so many of the reviews posted here. I always look to the Tripadvisor.com traveler reviews and ratings when selecting a hotel in an unknown location and with this being the top rated on St Thomas, I felt I couldn't go wrong.

When we stepped onto the porch of our room, C-23, we were greeted by the mop and broom (in)conveniently left there by house keeping, we immediately wanted to leave. Upon entering our suite, we had a poorly matched hodgepodge of furniture, dirty drapes, dirty floor, bathrooms in need of makeovers, thread bare bed linens and dirty dishes in the cabinets. Did the owners find the furnishings at garage sales? Although we had two television sets in our unit, both were about 20 inches and equipped with... a VCR! We were beside ourselves over what to do. Since we had already paid and it was late, we stayed here.

Thank goodness when we awoke the next morning we saw that the beach was lovely and we had great weather! We snorkeled from the shore, in the clear water, had lunch from the Banana Cabana delivered to us as we relaxed on the beach and in the evening looked up at the stars.

We spent as little time in our room as possible, because it just wasn't comfortable. It looked nothing like any the pictures on the websites. The pool was not available but we were able to play on the tennis courts.

If you need anything, then you must go to the hotel (Sapphire Beach) next door to ask for it. The Crystal Cove did not have a concierge on duty. The front desk at Sapphire Beach did offer us a lift into the town, Red Hook, to take us to dinner and collect some food stuffs from the market. The same desk provided our beach towels and tennis racquets.

I must add that if you don't mind a little traffic, it is possible to walk into Red Hook. However it's just as easy to take a Safari taxi ~ $1.00 per person to many parts of St Thomas including to the ferry to St John which I highly recommend. On St John be sure to go see the petroglyphs on the Reef Bay Trail!

If you are looking for a rudimentary place to stay, right on the beach, and don't mind taking your chances with your room quality then this might be the place for you. Be sure to bring your own toiletries and hair dryer. This is not a resort. A resort connotes a gym, a spa, dining area, concierge, etc. The Crystal Cove Beach Resort on Sapphire Bay is an outdated condominium complex on a lovely beach.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
8 Thank Lived-in-Moscow
Taylors,SC
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I was a little reluctant to book here reading some reviews but took the chance. That paid off big! Th condo was nice, and very clean. I wanted privacy for my wife and I since we were on our honeymoon. If you want the all inclusive, something always happening then this is not for you. If you want to stay at a nice condo on the best beach on St. Thomas with fantastic snorkleing and able to se Iguannas then don't hesitate. These buildings are old but many have been remodeled inside go to VRBO.com and find the rgiht one for you. Best place I have ever stayed and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank amgrgg
Dover,NH
Reviewed October 28, 2009

I have been going to Crystal Cove 2 to 3 times each winter since the mid 80's. I deal with Alice and Bernie at Paradise Properties.They rent out privetely owned condos. I have been to many other beach vacation spots including all the popular ones in Mexaco and ,of course Aruba and the different Bahama Islands . I love the fact that this is US,reasonably close to the East Coast and for an island,not that expensive You can "chill" or have as much activity as you need . There are some great bars---Latitude 18, Duffy's Love Shack,Molly Malone,etc If you need "high end",that is also available. In short,I can't wait till the end of Nov. when I can return " Try it, you will like it"

Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple