“Crystal Cove on Sapphire Beach is B-e-a-uuutiful!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crystal Cove Beach Resort on Sapphire Bay

Crystal Cove Beach Resort on Sapphire Bay
Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
A TripAdvisor Member
“Crystal Cove on Sapphire Beach is B-e-a-uuutiful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2004

My wife and I went to Crystal Cove on Sapphire Beach for our honeymoon. We went through Bestbeach and really did get our money's worth. From the airport to Crystal Cove the taxi was $24 (for two people). We started the week in Condo A-17 which was nice. It had a kitchen with a gas stove, dishwasher, garbage disposal, fridge, and some pots and pans; towels; some furniture; and 2 single murphy beds. Only complaint was the blinds on the windows didn't work. There was a water spigot outside the room so we didn't bring any sand into the condo. I noticed that if you're staying at Crystal Cove building A or D, you see the ocean, but being closer to the beach worked for me! Later in the week we were upgraded to A-5 - which was closer to the beach and bigger - and because it wasn't very busy there and it was our honeymoon...It was much nicer. The blinds on the windows worked, we had a one bedroom king sized bed in the back of the condo, washer/dryer (which was handy), 2 murphy beds (but didn't use), and two bathrooms (which is luxury to me!), and it was closer to the beach..a stones-throw. I have to say that Sapphire Beach is the nicest beach in St. Thomas. It had great snorkeling...saw a stingray, barracuda, and...well you'll see. Very clear, water was a little choppy due to hurricane frances, but I still went swimming! Also Sapphire Beach Resort is adjacent to Crystal Cove and there's a little store to buy water and gifts, a bar that is always open, a fancy restaurant, and a dive "shop" that you can rent kayaks or wind-surfing equipement from...although not really worth it...you can only go straight out to little island ($20/hour).
We visited St. John for the day. Took the $3 20-minute ferry ride over to Cruz Bay and instead of taking a taxi to some of the beaches, we hiked one of the trails associated with the US Virgin Islands National Park to Solomon and Honeymoon Bays. They were VERY secluded and when we were on Solomon & Honeymoon Bay there were only about 5 people swimming. It was great. Then we hiked up Caneel Hill to the road and we took a taxi to Trunk Bay (I think $10 for 2 people). We went swimming there with its underwater "nature trail," which was okay...the water was cloudy and normally would cost $4 (not worth it) but the remainder of the beach is beautiful! Then took a taxi for about the same amount back to Cruz Bay for dinner (which I forget the name of the restaurant, but it was in the middle of some shops) which was tasty but expensive. All places were expensive to eat at, but still fun.
Also went into Charolotte-Amalie and once you walk around the shops and people hassle you to buy something, that's that. Buy your 6 bottles of no taxed alcohol and you're done, time to take the $1 bus back to Crystal Cove. Yeah, there's a $1 (open-air bus) that if you stand at the main road at the enterance of Crystal Cove, you flag down the bus and they take you to Red Hook, the mall, or downtown for $1 (a buck). Very cheap and nice.
We also went to Duffy's Love Shack for an appitizer and drinks and Molly Molone's in Red Hook which were reasonable. There's Grateful Deli which has awesome sandwiches, and there's a subway too but who wants to eat there?! You're in the Caribbean!
All in all, Crystal Cove on Sapphire Beach had great snorkling due to the coral reef and turtle grass and it was a long beach that one could take a nice strole on in the morning/noon/night. This was a great place for a honeymoon and/or vacation. I would 100% recommend this place and would also recommend going on a daysail to St. John, Tortola, and Virgin Gorda (and don't forget your passports for Tortola and Virgin Gorda!, or you can't go). We went on a dinner sunset cruise with New Horizons and it was great!
We also went to Coral World on Coki Beach. It was $15/person to go to a very small aquarium (the beach was free). It was fun to have a camcorder and record some of the fish that one would see when snorkeling and seeing the green sea turtles too. The swimming at Coki Beach is good; not as much coral or fish as St. John or Sapphire Beach, but a nice beach. There's also a bar on the beach and you can get whatever you want and there's a waiter that walks around too.
If I were you, I'd bring Tuna and mac & cheese, and cereal to the condo, because it's cheaper to buy in the states than the island.
Everything was just A-mazing!
-Jon

• Stayed August 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2004

Like most readers, I sought out advice on this web site. I hope its not to long but I want to return the favor for the advice I got. I settled on Crystal Cove in St Thomas based on the strong reviews...AND..it was as written....excellent!
Dealt with Bestbeach.com They own several condos in the resort and they are all nice. If you go with some other group your Condo might be worse, or it could be better. All I know is that I seen several of Bestbeaches and they were all nice.
My wife and I are in our late 20s and married with no kids. We have traveled all over the USA and Europe but this was a first to the islands. We stayed in the "A" building which is 40 feet from the beach, however the other units are all close.

Highlights: Beach 9/10, Water 9/10 (beautiful aqua blue), Condo 8/10 (All mod Cons & Clean), Value 9.5/10. Everything cost under 4k. (Thats including tips. Local food and activities 10/10

LowLights Service 6/10 People will help but wont go out of their way to do so. Just adjust your expectations and you will be fine. Driving 2/10 Unless youdrive a cabby in NYC do NOT drive. They are all mad over here...use cabs, they are quick and mostly clean. Expect to spend $20 a day but its still cheaper and safer than driving.

Must Do.
Visit Saint Johns......Beautiful
Visit Trunk Bay (in St Johns)
Take a boat ride...we took a sail boat with New Horizions which was fantastic.
Charolette Amila (city center is a great place to visit for a day but the shopps get boring after three hours. Great deals though.
Places To Eat (Dinner)
Agave Restaurant 10/10 A real Must
Mafoili Restaurant 9.9/10 Awesome view
Azure 8.5/10 Good Food
Steakhouse at the point Food and view 9/10 Value 7/10
Other good places, (Dinner or Lunch) Hardrock, GreenHouse, Duffys, Molly Malones

Final Tips
If there are no cruise ships in the town closes, more than 4 ships the place is packed.
Carry cash for cabs..I only ever tipped $1 unless the were real friendly
Wear lost of sunscreen.....its really strong at noon. (wear a hat/cap)

Overall, we had a great time. The resort was quite and clean. We ate breakfeast and lunch in the condo and ate out for dinner every night. Long walks on the sand, stargazing, swimming, sunning, fishing. A great Place to Vacation and we are going back for sure. If you need more details just email me.

• Stayed August 2004
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank IrishCreamers
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2004

My husband and I stayed at the Crystal Cove Saphire Bay condominium for five wonderous days . We stayed in D15. It was a fully furnished condo with 2 full baths, a private bedroom with a king size bed, a big, comfortable living room and fully equiped kitchen. It was beautifully decorated and really like home. The most wondeful thing about this place was that the beach is about 20 feet from our door and it is truly the most beautiful beach on St Thomas. There was no other beach we wanted spend time at. It was truly paradise. I shouldn't even write about this because I don't want this place to fill up so we can't go every year, but we will go every year. We found it at stthomasvacation---. They were really helpful, so incredibly easy to work with and gave us rates that were extremely fair! There were great restaurants right next to our condo at the next door hotel and we went to St Johns by ferry--only minutes away for day trips! Incredible. I have been telling EVERYONE about this place because it was so great.
Don't miss this wonderful vacation spot!

7 Thank Snip55