“Great Stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #14 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great Stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

We purchased a Groupon for a 6 day, 5 night stay and were very pleased! The condos are perfectly situated on Sapphire Beach and about a mile away from "downtown" Red Hook and the ferry station. This means that you have quick access to a nice, calm beach that doesn't get too much traffic and a quick, convenient ride downtown to eat or catch the ferry to another island. The grounds itself are very neat, clean and gated. Everyone we passed was very nice and welcoming. We stayed in condo B-2. While, yes, the condos aren't brand new - the condo we stayed in was very nice for what we needed- which was just a decent roof over our heads for the duration if our trip. It was spacious with two beds and two baths, enough comfortable space for my friend and I. I suggest walking up the driveway to the main road to take an open air taxi into town. It costs $1 per per person. There is one restaurant on the lot and a swimming pool but we didn't try either so I can't give an opinion,

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Montagma

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
virginia beach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

3 years ago my husband and I stayed with friends at a condo here owned by their family and had a great time so when I saw the deal on Groupon, I decided it would be our vacation spot this year. I knew we wouldn't be able to get the same privately owned condo but when I booked our trip I asked for something similar. I was more than pleased when we opened the door to D-22. Colorful walls, fully equipped kitchen, comfortable king bed, tv with cable, beautiful view outside our door, I was very happy with our decision to stay here. You cannot beat the beach with its amazing views and easy access. I don't understand when people claim that the property is "not pretty". I agree that the condo's themselves are a little outdated but the landscaping around the property is gorgeous with all sorts of flowers, trees and shrubs. Also, I see alot of complaints of not having a bar/restaurant on the beach. Two thoughts on this, 1. you're staying in a condo with a full kitchen. it's not difficult to stock up on snacks and drinks and when you're in need, walk the 100 yards back to the condo (or bring a cooler to the beach!) and 2. if there was a restaurant, the beach would get crowded-ruining the peacefulness that attracts so many to it!
Location wise it's in a prime spot. At most it took 10 minutes to catch a safari to Red Hook with plenty of food options (aim for happy hour-best deals!!) and taxi's back are a little steep at $4/person but better than trying to walk (did it and DO NOT recommend it!!).
Only few (very minor) complaints- wifi wouldn't connect (but my husband and I both have sprint so our service was still in-network) and the gas oven was a little tricky, would've helped to have some pointers on how to get it to work (the knob was a little off so it took some tries to get it on/off and at the right temp)
So overall- if you're looking for a gorgeous, quiet beach and you don't need all the frills and pampering of a hotel/resort, this is the place for you. Just communicate with the manager if you have concerns and hopefully they'll take care of your worries!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sneavl
Boca Raton, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2014

Sappphire beach is absolutely gorgeous, but crystal cove exteriorly is completely outdated and in major need of cleanup and repairs. Units r owned individually so ur unit could be good or bad. Read reviews. If u like pretty well kept plush grounds and pretty looking buildings.... then go somewhere else. The only pisitive we found is the beach is gorgeous...
Many other places to stay that will give u that inviting vacation feel.
Not here....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank kat s
Philadelphia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

My husband and I just returned from Crystal Cove. We had a very good time, but this place has the potential to be a fabulous vacation.

Pros:
Beach/location: This is a great location. It is a 2 min drive to red hook (a little town and a ferry port) which makes things convienient. The beach is gorgous and one of the best on the island. The condos are right on the beach so the views are great.
Housekeeping: Our housekeeper was great. Things were clean and she even did the dishes in the sink for us.
Pool: The pool was lovely. A nice temperature and right on the water. There were enough chairs and it has been maintained well.
Staff: The staff were friendly and helpful.

Cons:
The biggest con was the issue between the condo association and the person who owns the property. There are buildings such as a resturant and a dive shop that have been boarded up due to the property owner refusing to complete the renovation. There is a small snack stand/bar that is open but that is it. There is a small resturant at the hotel next door which is a short walk. This did not bother me as much because I have diet restrictions and I mostly cooked my meals, but it bothered my husband and other guests. It also cheapened the beautiful property.

Some of the condos have not been maintained or updated. We had to be moved the first night because the refrigerator was not working. This room was very outdated but adequate. The second condo was much better maintained and was a little more updated. Each condo is privately owned so you do not know what you are getting unless you book privately.

Front Desk: The guest service desk was adequate, but the different staff members did not talk to each other to communicate. We came by and asked for an airport taxi for the next day (it was done with no issue) and when we came back at the end of the day to verify, the woman had no clue about it. I think some sort of system should be in place where everyone is on the same page.

All in all, we had a very good time. We would go back, but I think we would try and book privately so that we could pick the condo we want.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank ericapeace2000
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2014

I bought a 5-night stay at Crystal Cove as a Groupon deal with Paradise Properties. This location has about 80 units, 30 of which are managed by Paradise Properties. Most units recommended on TripAdvisor are not among those 30. I asked for the nicest room available (couldn't hurt to ask). My request was clearly written on my receipt at the desk.

We were given room B2. This second floor unit had minimal furnishings, no carpets, 3 non-working TVs, no telephone, and broken window shades in the front. The toilets were dirty, the bifold doors on the closets were off out of their tracks.

We were moved to B17. This is not a luxury room but at least it has the basics: Carpet in the common area, kitchenette with fridge and stove, working AC, 2 full bathrooms, working window shades, and a small fenced-in private backyard. There are 2 working TVs with cable and free wifi (sometimes didn't work). My only complaints were of thin mattresses on the sofa beds and one ceiling fan not working (above the sofa bed, so the kids were hot on our first night). There was no telephone.

Crystal Cove has gated access and the grounds are clean. There's a pool that I never saw anybody in. The beach is lovely, though a bit windy. The views are gorgeous and snorkeling was nice. Beach chairs are available to borrow at no cost. There's shuffleboard near the beach.

St. Thomas is a beautiful island and a fantastic destination. Crystal Cove seems about average, certainly not a high-end location, and I was upset at the initial room assignment, especially since there clearly were better rooms to be had. I wouldn't stay there again, but if you plan to, be sure to deal directly with a unit owner (rather than Paradise Properties) so that you know exactly what to expect.

Room Tip: Avoid room B2!! Room B17 was fine (see my review)
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank Rameen M
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We stayed in D9- condo the room was perfect, it was clean and we have a view and the beach was literally right at our door step. The staff in the front office Ms Bernie and Allison were all wonderful. We enjoyed our week long stay and will absolutely do it again.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Leak1980
Staunton, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2014

One of my bucket list items was to go to St. Thomas and St. John and stay longer than the few hours you get when you are on a cruise ship. Luckily, I stumbled upon unit B-11 in Sapphire Beach Condominiums West. The unit was large and clean and incredibly well stocked with everything you might need to make your beach vacation the best. This unit is on the lower floor----a big plus----- and it is literally a 100 feet from the beach. You even have chair attendants when you get to the beach that monitor and care for the section of the beach in front of Sapphire and provide you with several varieties of lounge chairs. There is plenty of shade, sand, sun, and surf. If you want to snorkel there are reefs on the right and left hand side of the beach and I know some beach goers saw sea life in the sea grass right out in front of the condo .If you rent this unit, the owner will send you, via e-mail, the B-11 Bible, which is a compilation of all the things you need to know about the condo, the area you are in, and the whole of St. Thomas. I referred to this document a lot during our stay with great results. There were comments about restaurants, shopping, getting around, and the various attractions on the island. It was great to have a heads up about the island and all the things to do and possibly not to do while you in St. Thomas.
I would like to recommend to travelers, if you have the means, rent a Jeep. My husband and I really appreciated this vehicle with 4 wheel drive as the roads are steep in some places, but the "dollah bus" does stop on the road right outside the condo if you are unable to secure a car and it runs frequently.
Another great plus about this unit is it's proximity to Red Hook, which is the small village on the east end of the island where you can get the car ferry. or pedestrian ferry to St. John. The car ferry is $54.00 round trip and the beaches on St. John are pristine and well worth the price of the trip. There are also a lot of nice local restaurants and a Food Center grocery store in Red Hook that makes it easy to shop and eat without the hustle and bustle of Charlotte Amalie. I am recommending this condo to my family and friends who want to vacation in St. Thomas. It is much cheaper to rent a condo on a great beach than deal with the high cost of a resort.
Oh, I for got to mention the property has a very nice and very large salt water pool with lounge chairs in either the sun or shade. The owner sent us numerous pictures of the condo and grounds and pool before we arrived, but I was truly surprised by how nice it really is when you get there.

Room Tip: This review is about a condominium----not a hotel. You have a kitchen to cook in, but there are no r...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo