“Beautiful beach”

GreenLeadersGold level
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Beautiful beach”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

We are here now, I'm writing this sitting on the beach. The staff is very friendly, they bring me whatever I need. When we arrived I asked to be near the beach and she gave me building B. Wonderful location about 15 ft from the sand. If you come stay on builder A or B. The problem is the location , far from everything. You need a car or taxi to get to anything else. We arrived on Saturday and they had a cab to take us to the grocery store at half price of $12.00 round trip. They do have breakfast every morning at the pool bar and sandwiches during the day, no restaurant yet. Tonight. Monday there is an Italian buffet. $25.00 per person. Tomorrow we will go to town by taxi. I choose this ace because I was using an accommodation week from my timeshare .

• Stayed January 2014
4 Thank janebadon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Keep in mind this is a timeshare property, not a hotel or all inclusive style resort. I traveled with my wife April 2013 and stayed 5 nights as a Wyndham owner.

The Pros: The pool area and beach. The pool was not huge but very well maintained, clean water and good temperature, and the poolside area was also clean with enough space and lounge chairs. The beach was at most 20 feet away from the pool, again very clean and plenty of room being a private location, you'll never have to fight for space. I don't recall any beach lounge chairs and on-site watersports but for lounging and swimming it's fantastic. The room was CLEAN and tidy on our arrival. Water pressure in bathroom was good, hot water was hot.

The Cons: The rooms were the weak link. It wasn't horrible, a little dated, but just OK. When we arrived the room was a little musty and stale smelling but after being in it a day and air-ing it out it was fine. We did encounter a little anole lizard in our room which was a bit troubling but we're not squeamish. There was quite a gap between the bottom of the door (nearly 2") and we realized towards the end of our stay that OUR DOOR DIDN'T LOCK. Well the knob can be locked but the door didn't latch shut, so you can just push the door open. That being said, we didn't feel unsafe at any time even after realizing this, so take that for what it's worth. There was an in-room safe, but it was useless as the keypad was broken (falling off the door broken). Again, not a deal breaker for us, we just carried our valuables with us. Our AC unit didn't work on arrival but someone came and fixed with within 30 minutes of us letting the desk know.

There is no on-site restaurant or grocery store, you'll definitely want to visit a market and bring snacks, drinks, etc. There is an on-site bar (I guess liquor > food).

There IS a tax levied upon check in which is my biggest gripe. My problem is that I was NOT told about it, it just appeared on my CC bill after arriving home (around $100 I recall). This seems to be typical in Caribbean resorts, so again I would not be as annoyed if they had simply told me about it ahead of time.

Other stuff: Fridge was fine, big enough to use (not mini-bar size), otherwise didn't use the kitchen/stove to provide useful a opinion. The property itself was nice, well maintained, plenty of parking. There are protected crabs living on site which were interesting and a lot of stray cats (the cats congregate in the "back" area of the resort, far from the people and never seemed to bother anyone) so if you hate critters you should keep that in mind. We did not have a problem with mosquitoes or other pests/biting insects.

I estimate around 30 other guests there at the same time as us, for the property's size it was the perfect balance between peace and quiet and total isolation. We didn't have a problem with noisy neighbors. The staff was friendly, not intrusive; we didn't really need them for anything during our stay other than fixing the AC. There were 2(!?) TVs in-room with cable.

Tips: Unless you plan on staying at the resort your whole trip, you will want to rent a car. The resort is not within walking distance of any attractions, restaurants, markets, and cab fare will definitely rack up. Be prepared to drive on the LEFT in a LEFT hand drive car.
The most important thing I'd tell someone who's staying here is to know that the USVI as a whole are primarily for cruise ship vacationers. Meaning, the vast majority of attractions are downtown/near the port, or designed for day tripping cruise ship excursions. You can read about the port area elsewhere. However, this means that if there are no cruise ships docking that day, MANY shops and attractions will be closed. On the flip side, if 4 ships are docked one day, everything will be PACKED. 3/5 days we were there only 1-2 ships so a good balance. On one day there were no ships docked and everything touristy was closed, couldn't even find a place to eat (drove around and found a spot for locals).

Overall, 4/5 stars for us because it was just the 2 of us 30 year olds looking for a quiet getaway. If you're more adventurous, need more stimulation, or have kids to entertain you may not have as good a trip. This also applies if you're looking for high end luxury, this is not the Ritz or even Hilton. If this were a hotel, or if I were paying ~$200/night out of pocket, would have been 2 stars. For the average person reading this, it's probably a 3/5 star as a whole, but for us on this particular trip it was very good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank ArtthurW
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed January 11, 2014

It may be true that the rooms are not luxurious, wifi is slow, and there is no restaurant. If that is what you are looking for, go somewhere else. However, if you want to go to a beautiful, relaxing beach, pack your bags. We went for a week at the end of December which is one of the busiest times for the Caribbean, but the resort is big enough so that it did not seem full. We loved walking along the beach at night by ourselves.

Room Tip: A apartments are right next to the beach.
4 Thank Jim161616
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Small comfy villa complex. This is not a hotel or resort. If you expect it to have such facilities you will be disappointed. Unfortunately, one just does not know what to expect.
Nice little beach.... Balconies to relax on, but that's about it. Oh yes, small pool and a bar as well as a a cafe that serves sandwiches etc till 8 pm.
Far from town but cabs are about $6 to $10. Bring everything with you, esp bug spray.
There is no convenience shop here
Iggys bar just a mile or so down the road is a really nice place to spend the evening without breaking the bank. Live music and cheap bar food. Tables are inside and on the beach under the shade of palms.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank BhavnaTyagi
Los Angeles
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

This place really grew on me because there is only a small number of guests around at any one time...the lack of an on site restaurant was not a huge issue as far as food but it does rain off and on and the flies are weirdly aggressive trying to land on your food in the open pool bar. A bug zapper here would be a good idea. The food was above average..I had a tilapia burger twice while there and a nice panini. The young man tending bar was very friendly. I had completely forgotten to pay him and he didn't say a word...later I realized it and went back and paid...he was so cool about it..another older gentleman talked to us about cooking lobsters and catching them...very decent guy...as there weren't many people about it was more intimate because you would see the same people and their families at the pool or when you went on a day trip in a cab...Mr Nice Guy the taxi driver who is affiliated with this resort was quick and reliable...he took us all over. We called him from all over the island and he always came within a few minutes...we only used another cab on the way in...we were "recruited" and taken to Bluebeard Castle instead of Bluebeard club...we paid 24 bucks. We did not realize the error until he left...then we paid another cabbie Mary to take us to the right place...over $50 in total. So call the resort first and call Mr Nice Guy first from the airport...don't bother with anyone else...his faires are much more reasonable and he is fun to listen to. He has a opinion on everything lol. Quite a character. The private beach is beautiful and the grounds are well tended and immaculate. I loved petting the resident cats...they also have a blue heron...you cannot walk safely in or out of this resort to the nearby shopping area..as there is no safe area for pedestrians...that is my only complaint...I would come again though...beautiful little spot...

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank Lisa898
Fernandina Beach, Florida
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We were supposed to be on a sailboat which didn't make it due to weather. These were the only rooms available on St. Thomas and I now know why! First of all the cost per room was supposed to be $229 per night, but what they didn't bother to mention was they add 33.5% room tax. Ouch! The rooms could have been nice, but they were not cleaned properly. Ours smelled like burned food. The bugs were horrendous. I was eaten alive even after bathing in bug spray. The beach is pretty, but not an area for snorkeling. The front desk personnel were very unfriendly. The door to the balcony isn't a slider so you can't leave it open like most places and there we 2 small chairs with a plastic table outside. There are tons of stairs to be navigated so anyone with disability issue should definately avoid this place. I could go on and on, but these are the highlights! For a Wyndham property it was so disappointing!

4 Thank ddurel
ClubWyndham, Social Media Team at Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas, responded to this review, January 4, 2014
Thank you for reaching out to provide this information. We are sorry to hear you were unsatisfied with the room and resort accommodations. Our goal is to make each guest feel at home during their stay. We are sorry you had to spend even a minute of your vacation dealing with unit cleanliness issues. Please rest assured we will address these concerns moving forward to avoid any future occurrences of this nature. Please also note that the additional fee charged is an energy use fee. We appreciate your feedback. Again, thank you for reaching out.
West Greenwich, Rhode Island
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This was a vacation of firsts- first time trading vacation weeks with Interval International, first time on St. Thomas, and first time away for Christmas vacation. (kids are growing-ups now).
What we loved most about Bluebeards is that it has a laid back, relaxing kind of feel to it, unlike some of the all inclusive resorts we went to. Our days were spent navigating between morning coffees on the room piazza to reading,swimming,lounging on the beach, (within steps of our boudoir) to partaking of a little libation at the Limetree bar. Basically if we didn't HAVE to move, we dint.
Okay, here is the skinny- go to the Food Center in Redhook for provisions so you don't have to go out for every meal. Have brekkie at the Limetree bar with Captain Bob and try the rum pancakes. Swim in the deliciously warm turquoise waters of the ocean instead of the pool. Nothing wrong with the pool but you can pool anywhere, right? Go to the Blue Orchid for fabulous fillet mignons.(and breath taking views). Do the WOW hike/kayak tour at Megans bay and be sure to stop on the way back at Cup and Cork for yummo sandwiches and iced lattes. (aka nectar of the gods). Sunsets at Bluebeard's beach will take your breath away. (but I wouldn't recommend standing with your mouth open too long because the sand fleas would set up condos there). St. John IS A MUST! Did I mention take a trip to ST. JOHN? Rent a car so you can bomb around the island at will and visit all those places that most tourist peeps never see. I would drive on the left because island people get a bit peeved when you don't. Who knew? There are no rules on the road from what I could gather so don't worry when you make a mistake. (except big wonkin mistakes could get you kilt.) Sorry this is so long but if you wanted the Cliff notes version then you should have bought it at the airport). Bring bug spray for the pesky sand fleas. They live here, okay? They mostly come around in the evening and don't worry if you didn't bring bugspray. Just sit at the bar, order a gin tonic, and rub a bit around your ankles. After a few more gin tonics you won't even notice them anymore. (and your date will look prettier too!).

Long story short- we loved this place and would definitely go back.

The end.

Room Tip: Building B- nearest the beach.
7 Thank Arrrdrey