“Beautiful, Quiet, Lots of Stairs” 4 of 5 bubbles

Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas
Ranked #7 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Yuma, Arizona
“Beautiful, Quiet, Lots of Stairs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

My wife and I had a nice stay at the Wyndham Bluebeard Beach Club at the end of November 2013. The staff were friendly and helpful. Leslie and Radiant Daly were especially helpful at the front desk. Alex, the General Manager, really tried to make everything perfect for our stay. The pool bar is run separately, and they were also helpful. The food was good but limited to sandwiches. A separate company is renovating and reopening the restaurant, so it will be nice to have a place to eat other than the pool bar. The gift shop is very small and pricey, but better than nothing, I guess.

The pool and beach are beautiful. Occasionally the pool was crowded and noisy, but not too bad. The pool water was usually cool; I think they fill it straight from the ocean since it was salty and didn't' smell of chlorine. They just installed a power lift to get into and out of the pool and it was wonderful.

Other reviewers talked about the cats and iguanas so I won't elaborate except that we loved them. The wifi is really spotty. There is a PC in the lobby you can use, but even it was really slow.

The rooms were ok. Good air-conditioning, TV, beds, etc. We had sewer flies in the bathroom every morning, even when we covered all the drains.

I'd say you don't need a rental car. They are expensive - the airport adds a $10 per day fee when you return it, but no one warns you about it. Driving is difficult, you probably save time and stress by using taxis. Mr. Nice Guy provides pretty good taxi service but do not discuss religion! He also tended to dismiss my wife's questions and only take me seriously.

Over all it was quiet and lovely.

Two problems:

Some people who lived near to the resort walk onto the grounds (right past the signs that explain that the place is only for guests) to use the pool, the beach, the bar, the chairs etc. They boast about how they had talked the management into allowing them in despite the rules since they spend money at the bar. However, the bar is run separately from the resort, so why does Wyndham let them in? They took some of the best chairs and spaces and spent the day. I guess they don't do me any harm, but if I pay big bucks to stay here why can other people just walk in and use the facilities?

Our biggest problem was the steps. My wife had knee replacement surgery two months ago and it was horrible for her. The upgraded studio room had over a dozen steps between the bedroom and the bathroom. Even the handicap room (there is only one) had two large steps between the bedroom and the bathroom. To get to the pool took another 20-30 steps. The staff were kind enough to give my wife a ride to the pool, but she still had to negotiate 8-10 steps to get to where they could pick her up.

AVOID THIS RESORT IF YOU HAVE TROUBLE WITH STEPS!

Room Tip: The Studio upgrades have lots of stairs between the bedroom and the bathroom, but the view is great...
1 Thank Stephen F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Tecumseh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is our favorite place to visit! Our room was ready when we arrived, the grounds are well maintained, and the beach is amazing and clean. There were more people this year than previous years, we think because the buildings were all finished with renovations. The pool bar was open and it was nice to see familiar faces. While we were there this year the driveway was paved and now it's a wonderfully smooth road. Overall, we had another wonderful visit! We'll be back again!

1 Thank SunBeachVacaLover
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

Stayed here for many years and many more to come. Headed back in two weeks.

Great beach, pool, community BBQ and staff.

Please don' tell anyone about this place, it's all mine!!!

Casual, non-pretentious and a hidden jewel for the unassuming traveler.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
MN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

Let me preface this by stating that we are self-catering people, and very easy going. We had no plans to spend a great deal of time at the property as we would be packing our cooler full of beverages and snacks each morning for touring the many beautiful beaches and all the other wonderful things this island has to offer. It was our first time coming to St. Thomas, with another couple who has been there six or seven times. We booked using their Interval exchange.

I had read so many reviews and looked at tons of photos prior to our trip. It helped me to realistically know what to expect so that we would enjoy our stay. I tend to throw out the best and worst reviews, to come up with an idea of what most people think about the property.

Our check-in took some time and our room wasn't ready when we arrived around 5:30 p.m. Clearly they were pretty busy but Leslie was helpful and humorous. We went out for dinner and drinks while we waited, which was very enjoyable. No worries, we're on Island Time.

We were in Building B, room 215. It was recently redecorated. There were granite counter tops in the kitchen and bath, and a new backsplash and new appliances in the kitchenette. You have a great view of the beach and water, plus the grounds, and you can hear the waves rolling in. There is a table and two chairs on the balcony. We loved the location. It was awesome watching the cruise ships pass. The kitchenette had everything for basic meal prep. I usually made ham/egg/cheese breakfast sandwiches in the morning before we headed out. The fridge worked great. The shower had hot water, it took a while to drain though. There are quite a few steps in the unit so be warned if you have any mobility issues. I feel bad as there was a small issue one day after several hours of rain. I hope someone from the resort reads these reviews as the ceiling leaked during the rain and water dripped onto the kitchen floor. I was going to notify them when I checked out but our friend went up to the office and checked all of us out and I didn't mention it to her.

I don't consider myself picky at all and can let most things slide. I will say, while the room was clean overall, there were several places where a little extra effort could have been made. I'm talking about washing a spot on the wall or trim where something has been spilled, stuff like that. Not a big deal to us, but others might be bothered.

We didn't use the pool. It always looked clean. The beach was spotless and there were plenty chairs. You have sun or shade available. Getting into the water was very easy, no shoes required. Snorkeling was easy as it was pretty calm. One morning we wandered down to the pool bar for breakfast and it was very good. Another evening we went down there and other guests were playing the bean bag toss, our husbands joined in on the fun and we enjoyed watching. The store has a small selection of gifts and you can get basics such as milk, eggs, cheese, etc. I didn't check the prices on the groceries but if you didn't have a car, it would sure come in handy so I thought it was a nice touch.

We had a small safe in the room and there was a clothes line in the shower. There was a nice size flat screen TV in the living room and another in the bedroom. We were given two sets of hand towels/wash cloths for the kitchen, and three bath towels with two wash cloths for the bath, plus two hand towels. There was a hair dryer under the bathroom sink. We were supplied with small-size bars of soap (2), mouth wash, shampoo/conditioner, and lotion. It wouldn't have lasted the entire week but I bring my own anyway. In the kitchen we also had paper towels and a small salt/pepper shaker was included in the basket that had some coffee and sweetener packets.

I had looked forward to shutting the a/c off at night and having the windows open to the breeze. The door to the balcony is not a slider and there is no screen so it wasn't possible. This actually turned out to be a good thing because it rained during the night and early morning every day we were there.

I felt this was a good home base location. It wasn't far into Red Hook for groceries or dinner, etc. I honestly think, no matter where you stay on the island, you would want to rent a car because there are so many beaches and other things to see.

Would I stay here again? Without a doubt! In fact, I could have spent more time than I did just hanging around the property. Just know that while it's a slice of paradise, it is not perfect. Have a great time and relax!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank sunluvr
Chesterfield, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2013

This was our first trip to St. Thomas, and a gift of a time share from our family. We had read many reviews of Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas before arrival, along with looking at all pictures that were posted. Our unit was a Studio Plus, which proved adequate for 2 couples. We were in Bldg A, Room 202. We had great views of the water, and loved sitting on our porch at night listening to the waves. The pictures we had seen online did not do justice to the property.

The staff (Leslie, in particular) was very helpful. We had to wait to check-in while Leslie gave very explicit directions to a family who was lost. We had rented a car due to the reviews of many people, and understood how it would feel to be lost, so we did not mind waiting. Leslie recommended we eat at Shipwrecked in Charlotte Amalie our first night while we waited for our room to be ready, and this was a good choice. We attended the informational meeting on Sunday and met a couple who recommended AquaMarine Scuba for diving. We were very grateful for that recommendation! Diving with this group was one of the highlights of our trip!

Our room was clean, newly decorated and remodeled. Our feeling was that we would spend most of our time outside, so the interior of the room was one of our smallest concerns. We had a full size frig, a microwave, a stove top, and dishware/pots and pans which allowed us to cook. We followed the directions of many, and shopped for food to cook and eat in our room due to the fact there was no restaurant on-site. This worked well for us as we could eat when we wanted and what we wanted. We ate out at Iggie's twice. The first night, there was a buffet and great entertainment. We wanted to eat at Mim's on Thurs (Leslie's recommendation), but they were closed due to Thanksgiving. Three of us enjoyed seafood at Iggie's, while one had a "traditional" Thanksgiving meal of turkey!

We are animal lovers, and enjoyed having cats and iguanas with us on the grounds and at the beach. We were warned that the iguanas like the color "red," especially toenails, but we learned they also like pink toenails, as one followed this author.

We look forward to returning to this facility again. The staff was friendly and helpful, our room was clean, the beds were comfortable, the grounds were beautiful, and the setting was serene!

Room Tip: Bldg A had rooms closest to the beach
2 Thank AEH V
Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I really wanted to love Bluebeard's Beach Club & Villas, but, frankly, the stay was marred by a bad start and mildew. That being said, the place grew on me as the week went on. Here's what happened: We arrived 30 minutes early at 3:30, but couldn't check in because the room wasn't ready. No problem; we were early after all. We were asked to hang out at the pool bar and we would be called when the room was clean. Fine; no problem. Fast forward to 5:15 pm. Still no call. I decided to head up to office. Stood in line for 30 minutes, behind just 3 others. By the time I reached the front of the line, the line was out the door. One computer was down, leaving only one operational. Instead of explaining to everyone why it was taking so long, the person who couldn't work just stood behind the person who was working. No smiles; no explanation; no eye contact. She really could have been working the exhausted crowd; explaining and apologizing for the delay as more people arrived. The person who was working, Leslie, was very nice and helpful and in a good humor, considering he was doing all of the work. I finally get the key to Room 222, Building B. I thought, "Great! This is one of the two buildings closest to the beach. What luck!" All it took was opening the door to the room for a major letdown. Even though it had been recently remodeled, the room smelled strongly of mildew, which was coming from the bathroom. Upon further inspection, I saw the mirror wasn't clean; sand was on the foot stools; there were greasy marks on the microwave and kitchen cabinets; dirt and standing water on the porch; a stained couch; and a couple days later while making the bed, I discovered a large yellow stain on the underside of the comforter. I also thought the toilet wasn't flushing, so I called the front desk. Busy signal. Three times. I gave up. Cleaning crews were still working in our building, so it was clear there wasn't enough staff to clean the rooms for a big Saturday turnover. And, they are either so rushed they're not doing a good job, or they're not being trained and managed well. Whichever, this is clearly a management problem. So, we went to the market and I bought a solid room air freshener, which helped in the main room. (I should have bought one for the bathroom, as well.) I cleaned the mirror myself, brushed the sand off the foot stools and ignored the rest. I placed a $20 bottle of wine in the door shelf of the refrigerator and closed the door. My husband later opened the door and shelf fell off, breaking the bottle. A roll of paper towels later, the mess was cleaned up. And that's how it began. I should have complained about the mildew and reported the poor cleaning job, but I didn't until I filled out their online survey. My bad. If I ever came back, I would also book a larger room. We were in a studio, which was little bigger than a standard hotel room. The couch was across from the kitchen, down two steps. Even more awkward, the refrigerator door opened toward the kitchen instead of toward the wall. It was pretty hard to negotiate getting anything in and out of if, because the door just barely cleared the stairs. I will also say that whoever did the remodel was just sloppy. For example, some baseboards were cut too short; the bathroom walls were short a coat of paint...stuff like that. Other people I talked to were happy with their rooms, so I have to think Room 222 is an anomaly that's sorely in need of some bleach and touch ups. Okay, now the good part: the bed was very comfortable. The resort is small and uncrowded, which is great. We were steps from the beach, which was also very nice. The pool is nice, the pool bar is nice, the view is nice, the grounds are nice. There was okay snorkeling on either end of the beach around the rocks. I saw the biggest ray I've ever seen just off the shore: at least 5 feet wide with a 6' tail! That was a treat! An orange tabby came by a couple of times a day to say, "Hi." The iguanas were fun to watch, especially when one fell, kerplunk, out of a tree. There's also a nice place to sit in the water to the far end of the beach to the right as you face the water. It's shallow and protected by rocks, perfect for small children or just relaxing without worrying about waves. The staff and other guests were friendly and, overall, we enjoyed our stay as long as we were not in the room. I will say that the sandflies are voracious, especially at dusk. Bring insect repellent and wear it on the beach and around the pool bar. We had a car, so we didn't have any trouble getting to where we needed to go. The very best part of the trip was a day trip for snorkeling on the Second Wind, which you can book in advance or when you get there. Their office is next to the beach and worth every penny! I'll write a review about it. Vendors display their wares a couple of times a week. I bought a beautiful, high-grade silver and Larimar pendant from the artist who made it. She's worth checking out if you go.

Room Tip: Building A and B are closest to the beach, but none of the buildings are very far from it. Ground fl...
1 Thank DebHerrington
Aurora
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We've travelled enough in the Caribbean to know that not everything will match the standards that we expect in North America. So let's just say that this puts Bluebeard's Beach Resort in context. Here's what we loved about it:

Location - A couple of miles outside Charlotte Amalie

Setting - In a small cove on a beautiful, intimate beach

Layout - Apartment buildings set back from the beach with a lush, green hillside behind and gardens plus pool and other amenities in front, gently blending into the spotlessly clean sandy beach. At other resorts we visited, the apartment buildings faced directly onto a narrow beach. That sounds nice, but they hemmed in the beaches and created a rather cramped and soulless effect. So full marks to Bluebeard's for making the most of the bay's natural features and maintaining it as a calm, romantic and idyllic place to be.

Here's what disappointed us about the resort:

Lack of a restaurant - The pool bar offered a breakfast and limited lunch menu, but the beautifully located restaurant overlooking the beach has apparently been closed for years. The resort is tucked away on its own at the bottom of a very steep hill and there is no easy access to another restaurant or anything else for that matter, so a rental car is pretty much essential for anyone staying here.

Check-in - It wasn't the resort's fault that so many guests had arrived on a couple of airplanes that landed around the same time, but there we were en masse, waiting to check in. Some of us had got up hours before dawn to start our journeys and by now at 6pm, we just wanted to get to our rooms and relax with a nice dinner. How could it take an hour to check in the dozen or so couples in front of us? A welcome smile and a rum punch would have helped, but were not forthcoming. Questions about food were answered with reference to the snack bar that was actually a vending machine.

Drab decor and cheap furnishings - We always hope to open the door to our new room, break into a smile and make approving noises. On this occasion, though, this just wasn't possible as we entered our drab little studio. It was also dirty and the safe was missing. We reported these issues immediately, but only one of the "dirty" issues was addressed - the comforter cover was changed. There was no other cleaning done and the safe was never re-installed. The bathroom contained only the shower and toilet, while the sink and vanity were in an open space off the hallway. There was not even room to hang a second hand towel.

So would we recommend Bluebeard's Beach Club and would we return? Probably yes and yes. The plusses outweigh the minusses. I used the word "disappointment" above, because that was a more accurate reflection of our feelings than "dissatisfaction". I guess we were just disappointed that the resort was not everything it could have been and didn't quite match up to the standard of its natural surroundings. We understand that Wyndham has not long been the owner of the property, but has already bitten the bullet and paid for resurfacing of the long steep access road from the main road to the property. We were fortunate in showing up the week after the job had been completed. Let's hope this is a sign of Wyndham's commitment to Bluebeard's Beach Club and that it will one day match the quality of its beautiful natural setting.

Room Tip: All rooms are well situated with a view of the gardens and beach.