Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Way better than expected!”

Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas
Ranked #9 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 8, 2008

We traveled to Bluebeard's using my mother's time share option and after reading several reviews on the property, were not that excited about staying there-boy did that turn around once we arrived! The rooms were great, although there were ants in the kitchen but what else can you expect when you leave glasses of rum everywhere! The beach was quiet and beautiful, the pool was fun with a great pool bar and food available. I'm not one for foreign food so I absolutely loved the burgers and fries! They even had entertainment by the pool. The only unfortunate thing is that they close the bar down at 10:00PM. I can see why unexperienced travelers might not call it the Ritz Carlton but Blue Beards Beach Resort and Villas definitely exceeded my expectations!

Stayed: February 2008
3  Thank katypoe
There are newer reviews for Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas

Reviewed May 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Beach Club for our ten year wedding anniversary three weeks ago. We were skeptical after reading previous reviews, but we absolutely loved it. We are going back already in December. The people at the resort were so friendly. We absolutely love Jerry the bartender and his family that also work on the resort. Stan and Dave the pool bartenders were awesome as well. The private beach is beautiful!!! My only advice is not to wear scented lotion on the beach, b/c this really attacts the no-seeums. The second day, I had over 50 bites up and down my legs. It was really hard to come back to "reality" after spending a week at this wonderful resort!! You have to visit here to experience how great it is, the pictures just don't do it justice. -Jason and Tamara from Minne-snow-ta

Stayed: April 2008
3  Thank TamIAmMinnesota
Reviewed May 1, 2008

We stayed in one of the older units right at the end at the beach from April 19th - 27th and overall had a great time. The room was only average though, and was on par with any of the older efficiency rooms that one would normally see along the beachs of the US East Coast - Nags Head, Myrtle Beach etc. This is definitely not on the same scale as any other resort we have ever stayed at.

We heard that there are discount coupons available from the conceirge, but during the whole week we were there, we could never find this person, and the on-site Wyndham member office was always closed. The staff was helpful and friendly although Christy (reception desk) was not as helpful as the others and struggled with her 'Customer Service' skills.

BUT - the beach was great, as was the snorkeling around both rocky ends of the beach and around the corners. The view from our balcony with the beach, the ocean and the hummingbirds made for a pleasant stay. They do have a grill area with 2 charcoal grills, but one was non-functional and the other was barely serviceable, but usable. We never used the poool although it looked clean. We also did not try the on site restaraunt while we were there. We were able to cook most meals on the 2 burner cooktop and microwave.

Groceries on the island are not as fresh as you experience in the US, especially meats. The Pueblo Supermarket on RT 313 is the closest to the resort and had almost everything we needed to outfit our unit for the week, although their meats were questionable - their refrigeration units were not cold enough for my liking. there is another supermarket on RT 32 on the way to Redhook that had much fresher meats and produce, but the cost was quite a bit higher than Pueblo. There is a K-Mart just down the street from the Pueblo Supermarket.

We rented a car for the week and found it was a necessity for us. If you enjoy beaching, off shore fishing and snorkeling/diving etc this is a great place. We were not that impressed with the advertised shopping although it does seem to be a big draw here. We spent a day or so in Charlotte Amalie during carnival week, which was not very crowded although there was only one cruise ship in port per day during our stay. We understand there can be as many as 8 or 9 ships a day in port during peak season which would be an 'unbearable' traffic problem.

we went to St John on the car ferry one day and enjoyed a Daysail with Ron and Carol at http://www.alauntcharters.com/ another day - both days were great fun and highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank VA_Toothfairy
Reviewed April 6, 2008

I just returned from a 4 day trip to St. Thomas, staying at Bluebeard's, and I have to say that I'm surprised by all these negative reviews! I think that folks looking for a stuffy, pristine, wait-on-you-hand-and-foot resort experience should head for the Ritz Carlton, and leave Bluebeard's for those of us who aren't as picky.

The resort was just the right size, and not over-crowded at all. The beach and pool areas were the perfect size for the number of guests the club can accommodate. The pool was very nice and the bartenders were great. Okay, there was one bad thing- "the Rizzo show" was some of the worst live music I've ever been subjected to, but that was only for one afternoon.

The restaurant's menu is nothing to write home about, but it was just enough for us. They have enough options to keep most people happy when you don't feel like driving elsewhere for dinner. Everything on this island seems to move a little slower than elsewhere in the US, but if you just relax, have a drink, and expect to wait a little longer for your service, you can still have a great time.

Overall, it was a great, private, little resort that was just right for our short trip to the island. Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
5  Thank amyamylynn
Reviewed March 22, 2008

We have been to Bluebeard's Beach Resort a number of times. I truely enjoy the small resort and found the newer rooms nice with a beach view. We stay here because it's so very cheap compared to other resorts and we like having a kitchen. I recommend renting a car from Budget rent a car. And ask them for the coupon book. You get 2 for 1 sailing. The resort offers a shuttle but I can't imagine waiting on it. Things are slower in the carribean and I like to be on the go. The beach is a little rocky but still nice. The pool has a swim up bar. There are tennis courts and a large chess game. The bar is outdoors and has good drinks. A few years ago they had slot machines but then they were gone when we went back. I think this resort had it's hey day back in the 1980s but we enjoy it.

The sister resorts Blackbeard's Castle and Elysian allow you to use their facilities. We went to the Elysian to work out and then had to pay since they sold the gym. There is a restaurant at both these resorts. We liked the one at the Castle because of the view and the other one is right on the water at the Elysian. They have specials so look for the weekly flyer.

• Stayed: December 2004, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ms_obvious
Reviewed February 29, 2008

After all that I read before going I was a little concerned, however our stay here could not have been better. The staff was very helpful, the room was neat (although sparsely decorated) and clean. The view from our patio overlooking the ocean was spectacular. We did not eat at the hotel, Iggies in the next bay over proved to be an excellent choice. Yes, there were sand fleas on the beach, but they were on other beaches as well. I would go back as long as I had a car to get food.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dave K
Reviewed February 26, 2008

My cousins own a timeshare there and we have been many times. Although Wyndham has taken over, you'd never know it. Nothing has changed over the years....same poor service, poor appliances that always need service, no one picks up your call at the front desk, restaurant is awful - slow slow slow service. Beach is pretty but.....you can't go out in the water unless you have super duty shoes on due to the rocks. I do not own a timeshare and never will. It seems that once you are sucked in to ownership, the management do not care about keeping things up because they know they have you. Pitiful. Once we checked out of the unit from the week, we had one more day on the island so we stayed at the Best Western Carib Beach Hotel right by the airport. Believe it or not, that was much better than Bluebeard's at Lime Tree Beach and the breakfast/lunch in the restaurant was great!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family