“All you need for relaxing, but with surprises”

Bluebeard's Beach Club and Villas
Ranked #8 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
GreenLeadersGold level
Moscow
“All you need for relaxing, but with surprises”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Very nice place, nice beach, nice and comfortable rooms. But there are some "surprises", which you will know AFTER check in.
For example, they will charge on your credit card more money than you saw when you was booking. There are very big tax and fees (about 30%!). And they don't inform their agents and customers about it! You learn about it only when look at the bank statement. Very unpleasantly!
I was staying there only for 4 nights, and they charged $200 taxes and "energy fee", besides the sum specified in booking!
Also, there aren't room cleaning. If you want they will clean your room, but you have to pay $125 (!) for each cleaning.
And you should rent a car if you want to visit other places on the island, because the hotel quite far from the city. But there is free parking.

Room Tip: Ask higher floor. There are nice terraces.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Alexey D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I wanted to like this place.. I really did. It was ok..tho I have some issue with their billing. I'm not a fan of the taxi system nor did I appreciate being told money was refunded only to find out they lied about it. I now have to go though the process of fighting for wifi that never worked properly.
Saving grace was our room being right on the beach front in bldg A. It was nice to hear the waves as we went to sleep at night.
Not really pleased with the management, but the room itself was nice enough. Beach bar was great for breakfast and lunch.
In retrospect St T really wasn't my cup of tea.. I was much more a fan of the BVI

4 Thank DanniBinDC
Clemson, South Carolina
Reviewed January 10, 2013

From some of the reviews here, I was not sure what to expect, but we were only there for 2 nights so wasn't too concerned. As it turned out, staying longer would have been nice. The resort is somewhat remote, as mentioned by others, so a car is a definite advantage. There is no restaurant on site though the pool bar serves a limited menu of breakfast, snacks and sandwiches from about 7:00 AM until around 8:00 PM, or later if busy. The unit we were in (room 256 in building E) was a studio with a king size bed as well as a pull out sofa, a small kitchenette, two flat screen tvs, and a balcony overlooking the beach and pool area. The layout was a little unusual in that the kitchenette area and bath were a step down from the area with the bed and sofa. This could cause someone to stumble or fall if not careful of the step down (or up, depending on direction of travel). However, overall, we found it to be more than adequate.

The beach is not rocky at all, although there is a short line of rocks just as you enter the water's edge in places. The beach area is large and while we were there it was not overly crowded at all, though we were rarely alone. The pool is large and inviting with four or five bar stools in the water on the pool side of the pool bar, making for very convenient access to the very good and relatively (emphasis on relatively) inexpensive drink and limited snack menu. The bar has chairs around the other three sides and does serve breakfast as well as sandwiches at lunch and dinner. Kim, the bartender/cook, was pleasant, competent, and informative. The grounds surrounding the pool area are well maintained and include a “crab village” with lots of hermit crabs crawling around. Several iguanas were seen as well as a lot of cats, some feral, some friendly. For our group of cat lovers, they were not a problem. In fact, we enjoyed getting our “cat fix” for the day!

Snorkeling was not the greatest while we were there with the water somewhat cloudy but even so it was possible to see lots of fish around the rocks on either side of the small bay.

The only caveat I would mention is that you should verify your reservation shortly before arriving and make sure you print off any confirmation documents you receive and take them with you. When we arrived, the registration desk had no record of our reservation, even though I had called to confirm shortly before our arrival, but, when I provided my copy of the confirmation, they checked us in with no problem. If we had not had that copy, I don't know what would have happened. The resort is supposed to be managed by Wyndham but not sure how closely they monitor the on-site management. Their computers do not seem to talk to one another. All in all, and with that caveat, I would highly recommend the resort.

Room Tip: Rooms in buildings D, E, & F seem to be the closest to the pool, bar, and beach.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank NationalParkHiker
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We stayed at the resort for a week in December (Christmas Week). Overall experience was good / pleasant.
The location is right on the beach, like many other resorts in the area. The rooms have a partial kitchen, with 2 burner stove and a decent sized fridge. This was important for us as all meals for a week can become really expensive on an Island vacation. Otherwise the room amenities are ok, (coffee maker, microwave, iron, room safe, toaster, utensils, 2 flat screen TVs etc.)
The resort itself has no restaurant but the pool bar serves light panini sandwiches. Speaking of the Pool Bar - it is the highlight of the resort. You can swim up to it and have drinks right there. The owner and staff are very friendly and helpful, and they turn on the football games on Sunday. There is a very nice dive shop - Aqua Marine on site - and they teach and take you out for scuba diving (did not get an opportunity this time but maybe next time). There is a tennis court but it has a weird surface. There is a giant sized chess board too. The rec director Victoria is great, and organizes a lot of activities on site and arranges for a lot of trips and tours with various vendors. She directed us to a good grocery shop on day one.The staff is generally very friendly.
There are some drawbacks as well. There is a $22 surcharge per day for the room for electricity. The wi fi ($35 a week) never worked for us - the money was refunded. The beach towels are a little worn out, and if you need a cleaning or tidying up of the room there is a charge for it. Generally most of the other resorts we have stayed at have at least one cleaning during the week.
I would highly recommend a rental car if you are staying at this resort, and the access road is pretty scary. Another thing that bothered us was mosquitoes - but that is true for the entire island. Lastly the cell phone signal is week inside the rooms although good in open areas (we have At&T), consider this if it is important to you.
Overall the experience was good and we would consider staying here again if we get an opportunity.

Room Tip: All rooms have balconies facing the Pool/Beach. Buildings closer to the beach have a better view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Amit B
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed January 2, 2013

just got back from Blue Beards Beachclub, thank you all for making my stay enjoyable..Much different from two years ago. Nicely renovated rooms ,comfortable and clean. Beaches not crowded and reccomennd to all

5 Thank mike k
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed December 25, 2012

If you are looking for a great isolated location this works. The beach was beautiful and uncrowded. There is no restaurant other than the pool bar, so unless you are planning on cooking you have to leave the property. Mr. Nice Guy provides great cab service for the resort. Expect to spend an average of $25.00 round trip fare for 2 to most restaurants. Our room was recently renovated. It was clean and had a nice view. The iguanas are quite entertaining.

3 Thank Iceh2o
Colorado
Reviewed December 21, 2012

This was my third time to this resort. I stayed in unit 250 bldg E. It was obvious we were the first people to use this room after being renovated. I guess inspecting the room prior to renting the room is not done with this crew. The upgrades are nice, but the workmanship is sloppy and rushed. The shower tiles had writing on them, and the grout had not been cleaned properly. The remote to the AC was missing and the TV in the bedroom had not been programed. There were other things that were not done correctly. I eventually got what I could by calling the front desk. I think they got sick of me because I had to call them so many times. Despite the upgrades, granite counter tops, tiled shower, stainless steel appliances, new furniture, etc, it is too bad the quality of work was horrible.
I will say, this visit was nicer than the last two times, 2010 & 2008. I am glad they are making an attempt to improve the conditions at the resort.

Room Tip: I like the top floor lofts, they are more private and the view is fantastic.
2 Thank MsSoniaR