“Nice West Indies Vibe”

GreenLeadersGold level
Delawhere?
“Nice West Indies Vibe”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at this beautiful West Indies meets modern condo resort. It is nestled in a lovely little private valley/cay with a beautiful beach and crystal clear water. We stayed in a 1 BR loft in Bldg E that had recently been updated with a cute kitchen, very spacious floor plan, and a large deck area with an absolutely stunning view of the beach. We were so close, we could hear the waves break! They have gorgeous mature landscaping with lots of hammocks hung between palm trees, a pool with a swim-up bar/cafe and great staff. Truly a lovely location and wonderful getaway esp. for families and couples - can't wait to go back!

10 Thank katocat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
Pearland, Texas
Reviewed September 8, 2011

This was our first time to the USVI. The location of Bluebeard's is the biggest benefit. The beach is great and most of the staff is friendly. The air conditioning units and decor are not ideal but I think when the renovations are completed, it will be difficult to find any faults in this property. It is a bit dirty but I think the upgrades will also improve this situation. Overall, I would recommend Bluebeard's Beach Club as a great place to stay on St. Thomas.

4 Thank Slleept
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This resort has pro and cons. First the pros....The night manager, Jessie, was wonderful. I took a wrong turn during my drive from the airport to the resort and had to call for directions. She stayed on the phone with me and was my human GPS giving me turn by turn directions. If you are looking to unplug from the real world this is the place. The resort sits in a bowl so cell service is zero and the resort wifi is the only option. There is only one computer at the resort for guests to use. The few times I used the computer I only had to wait a few minutes. Most guests were considerate and only spent a few minutes checking email or printing boarding passes. There are few activity options but I was only there for the diving and they have a fabulous dive shop on site. Check out Aqua Marine at www.diveaquamarine.com Phone [--]

Now the cons...The resort sits in a bowl so cell service is zero and the resort wifi is the only option. The resort is old with thin walls and recently changed ownership to a Wyndham property. The new manager, Alex, is doing a great job of getting the property revitalized. There is no mid-week cleaning but you can request fresh towels if needed. There is no restaurant on site so you have to drive into town to eat.

During the welcome orientation Victoria will push all her activities for you to enjoy. I did not partake in any of those since I had read several bad reviews about those. So, buyer beware, I believe you could do better doing some research on your own.

Room Tip: Try to stay in building A or B. Those rooms have the best view of the ocean.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank ScbaMom
Pennsville, New Jersey
Reviewed August 25, 2011

We really enjoyed the beautiful private beach with its crystal clear water, hammocks hung between palm trees, and the pool with its swim-up bar and great staff. Like much of St Thomas Bluebeards is a little rundown in places, but you just can't beat the secluded and relaxed atmosphere. They are starting to remodel buildings A & B in September, but you won't want to stay in your room no matter how nice they make them.

2 Thank Michael B
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed August 12, 2011

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Bluebeard's during the first week of August, and found it to be quite pleasant. We are in our mid-20's and by no means 5 star travelers, but we do have high expectations. The room was clean, and a little dated, but I've found that most Wyndham resorts have that same dated beach look, that makes it quaint. Our room faced the ocean and we had a great view. We used the kitchenette only b/c it was raining the night we were going to use the outdoor grill.
I was hesitant due to a lot of reviews on here, but we were quite satisfied with Bluebeards. The people were completely friendly, from the time we checked in, to when we went to get beach towels, to just looking throught the big book of menus at the front desk. We didn't encounter a single rude person. The grounds are absolutely beautiful, and the maintanence crew was clearing low hanging limbs and cut the grass at least twice while we were there. Yes the resort has iguanas, but they are ALL OVER the island... I nearly ran over quite a few just driving around. The cats are also there, but the "Cat Cafe" is put on by the humane society and we saw 3 or 4 on the island. The cats are either friendly or they won't come near you. A few of them let us pet them, but for the most part they keep to themselves.
There is no restaurant onsite, but that is nice b/c its quiet at night. We went to Iggie's (the restaurant just down the road at the Bolongo Bay resort), and I would never want to stay at a resort with a restaurant after that. People are in and out all night and it's never quiet and peaceful. We met a few people at Bluebeard's, but it was a lot of families and we mostly kept to ourselves. The swim up bar is awesome, and the pool and beach are beautiful. It's a place you want to go if you want rest and relaxation. If you like to be in the middle of everything with things happening all the time, Bluebeards is not the place for you. My husband and I would definitely go back though!!

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank EEG622
Bartlett, Texas
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Myself and my family stayed at Bluebeard's the last week of july. We really enjoyed our stay at the resort. While the rooms need updating we found our room to be clean and very functional. We had two issues with the room but one phone call to the very helpful front desk and both issues were corrected immediately. The beach and pool are the stars of the resort. Neither one is very busy and they were in beautiful shape. The grounds were also very nice and we really enjoyed the iguanas and cats. My wife had a massage while there and she said it was the best message she has ever recieved and she has had a lot of massages!! Our 11 year old daughter had a great time in the pool with the other children staying at the resort and the adults were very accomodating the the kids in the pool area. We will definetly go back and we can't wait to see the rooms after the renovation that is planned.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Txgiants22
VA
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband and I visited Bluebeards in July 2008 and had a nice experience... you get what you pay for. We had the opportunity to visit again July 2011. This experience was such a disappointment! On our first full day, we called the front desk to have our toilet serviced. We waited over 6 hours, using the lobby bathroom while we waited, with no response. A combination of poor service, no restaurant, and run down conditions helped us make the decision to check out and move to another hotel on the island. Please look at the photos I have posted.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple