“Home away from Home”

Villa Marbella Suites
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed March 21, 2013

I must say after reading the reviews from trip advisor, I decided to visit Villa Marbella Suites. I was not disappointed. Leah and Gunnar were such gracious hosts. I felt very comfortable and safe. We have only visited St. Thomas by cruise before. After visiting Jamaica I didn't think I would ever stay on an island again, however reading the reviews and the kind words everyone had expressed about Gunnar and Leah, we knew Villa Marbella was the place for us.

Villa Marbella is located on the east side of St Thomas Excellent location, with your own private beach. I would highly recommend renting a vehicle, you can see the entire island.

We look forward to visiting Villa Marbella next year. My husband and I stayed in the mountainside suite and really enjoyed the views. We stayed for 5 days.

Room Tip: Mountainside suite, private, nice decor, great view and nice size

Reviewed March 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent 6 days at the Villa Marbella and had an amazing experience. We stayed in the Mountainside Suite and loved it. Everything was so quaint and neat, we even received a complimentary bottle of rum! There is an honor fridge outside for all of the guests that has water, ice, and beers. The owners are extremely nice and are around a lot of the time if you need them for anything. The beach is a 10 minute walk and we didn't see any other people down there our entire stay; it was amazing. While the Villa is a little off the beaten path, taxis were still able to find it and willing to drive us around for the week. I would most definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Mountainside Suite was perfect!
Reviewed March 18, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Villa Marbella for our 25th wedding anniversary and had a wonderful time, our room (Cruzan) was clean, comfortable and had a great view. Leah and Gunner were great hosts and provided us with helpful input. We also rented a jeep from them which made getting around the island that much easier and enjoyable being able to really explore the islands treasures. I really can't say enough.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

We Stayed at Villa Marbella for one week and loved our entire stay. We felt like we were living like the locals in the Cruzen room which felt like our own little apartment.Leah and Gunner were so nice and they truly care about their guests. We really enjoyed renting the jeep from them,and the price for the week was much cheaper then if we would have rented it from a local car rental agency. The pool and the view were the icing on the cake! Loved Villa Marbella Suites!

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My only hesitation in writing a review for Villa Marbella is that it will become so popular that it will be harder to book a room when we want to return.

My first visit to St. Thomas was prompted by my brother-in-law’s 50th birthday celebration during the week 02/20 – 02/27/2013. The original plan was for the 4 couples in the group to stay at Mafolie since they were going to give a reduced rate for the group. We emailed Mafolie in November to book our room for February. We never got a reply. In the meantime, my wife started surfing TripAdvisor and started looking at other options. We liked what we saw at Villa Marbella so we decided to email them. We heard back from Leah promptly. We had asked about the availability in February and the only room left was the Mango which she said was on the small side for two people “unless they got along real well”. We had a decision to make. Look somewhere else or try to call Mafolie and stay with the group?

We talked about it and decided to stay at Villa Marbella in the Mango room. Best decision we could have made. Yes, the Mango is small but how much time do you normally spend in a room? It has a decent sized bathroom which helped and has a small fridge, microwave, and even a one burner hot plate. Best of all, it has a nice, quiet mini-split A/C unit that is so much quieter than most hotel A/C systems.

Why do I say that staying at Villa Marbella was such a good decision?
Because staying with Leah and Gunnar is about so much more than just renting a room. They provided airport pickup and return so we didn’t have to worry about navigating in an unfamiliar setting on our arrival and knew we wouldn’t have to hope a taxi got us back to the plane on time when leaving. They provided a beach bag with beach towels, a big soft-sided cooler, and even beach chairs. This meant that you could pack much lighter knowing that your beach needs would be covered. We also rented a car from them which was much more reasonable than a car rental agency and they didn’t mind if you wanted to take the car on the ferry to St. John. If you look at cars from an agency you will find that only in certain cases are you allowed to take the car to St. John and you’ll pay a premium for the privilege.

Staying at Villa Marbella meant that you were outside the hubbub of Charlotte Amalie and could choose whether you wanted to mingle with the hordes that descend on town during the day from the cruise ships. You are also closer to Red Hook if you want to take the car/people ferry to St.
John. There are some good restaurants nearby without having to go into Charlotte Amalie but town isn’t that far away either.

Many mornings we opted to go into town early and have breakfast at Gladys’
while there was still plenty of parking in the big lot by the police station. Once things started to get congested we’d leave and hit the beach. If you’re down there to work on your tan you can hang by the pool at Villa Marbella, enjoy the view, and watch the bananaquits dice it out with the hummingbirds at the feeder by the pool.

In closing I guess I should mention our necessary treks “up the hill” to visit with the rest of the birthday group. Mafolie touts itself as having the best view in St. Thomas but during the day you are looking at giant cruise ships wedged into the harbor, and the hotel is perched by a busy road that is used at all hours. Every time we got back to Villa Marbella I would breathe a sigh of relief. Leah and Gunnar provided us with a seamless package that suited us perfectly. I’m thinking we might return in the off season when there might be less competition now that the secret is out.

Room Tip: We'd stay again in the Mango if it was the only room available. Don't let that stop you from...
Reviewed March 9, 2013

My wife and I just returned from celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary with a 7 day stay at Villa Marbella. This trip was planned 7 months ago with a lot of investigation on where to go and stay. The TA reviews were "spot on"..... if you want a special place to stay with peace and quite and hospitality from the owners (Leah and Gunner), this is the place for you. We woke up early in the mornings to rosters crowing and fell asleep early (9-10) at night from an enjoyable day of site seeing and swimming at the beaches. Gunner picked us up at the airport, which was convenient cause we had no idea where we were going. We rented a jeep from them and began to check out the island. Because you drive on left side of the road, we spent the first couple days in the Red Hook area as the east end is less traveled than Charlotte Amalie. We toured all the local beaches and also spent a day on St. John. Both Leah and Gunner gave us ideas on what to do and how to get there. This was really helpful. We stayed in the Moutainside Loft which fit is perfectly. We ate breakfast in and packed a cooler (provided by the Villa) for lunch. Beach chairs and snorkel equipment are also provided. Gunner took us back to the airport as we were sad that our vacation had ended. I hope we can return some day again ..... thanks Leah and Gunner.

Room Tip: Leah will assist in selecting a room.
Reviewed March 7, 2013

My two sisters and I just spent an amazing week at Villa Marabella and we had the most incredible experience! Leah and Gunner (and Yager!) were the most gracious, helpful hosts and made us feel so at home. The pool was clean and refreshing and the view of the ocean from our room was breathtaking. We also rented a Jeep from them and it was in perfect condition, well priced and made getting around the island a breeze. We can't wait to go back - we can't say enough about how wonderful our experience was there! :)

Jen, Jessie and Justine