As you can see from some of my other reviews, I'm typically not a five star kind of girl. Or maybe I wasn't until this trip. We decided to splurge for our 10th anniversary and chose St. Thomas because of the times of the direct flights available from NYC. As we were only going for four nights, there was no way we were going to transfer. The Ritz is around a 40 minute drive from the airport. There are plenty of taxis available there, and you can split the $90 cost with others. A couple overhead us say were were headed to the Ritz and proposed that we share. Upon arrival we were greeted with an incredible view from reception and a refreshing rum punch presented by Johnny, who then whisked us to our room in a golf cart. I was thrilled to find a Nespresso machine and another fantastic view from the balcony. The staff had also thoughtfully provided a chocolate cake for our anniversary and my husband's birthday as well as champagne!
As we had already been to St. John on a prior trip, and because our stay was so short, we remained at the resort during the day, other than a failed excursion to Charlotte Amalie to purchase a watch. Given my negative experiences with cruisers in European cities we decided to pop in to shop on a day when a ship wasn't in the port, but ALL of the stores were closed. We enjoyed walking around, and climbed up to see the fort, castle, and second oldest synagogue in the west.
The two beaches, one for the hotel side and one for the time share side, are small and there were ample loungers, each with its own canopy. The water is a bit rocky at the bottom and there are reefs. We sure to be aware of this if you take advantage of the water sports which are included in the resort fee. I was anxious about toppling off the stand up paddle board and destroying a protected marine environment. I only wish the beach were long enough for a stroll. We didn't spend much time at the pool, though we did try the hot tub, which was disappointingly only lukewarm.
In terms of the food, breakfast was our favorite meal. The buffet was impressive, and we couldn't get enough of the french toast! Lunch at Sails was also good, and I was pleased with the vegetarian and healthy options. The quinoa burger was tasty and filling. I'm not much of a daytime drinker as it just makes me lethargic in the sun, but I couldn't resist some of the drinks of the day. The key lime one was particularly good. I wish there were more options for dinner. We decided to venture next door to the Carribbean Fish Market, which is located just next door in the Elysium Beach Resort. There is a casual place and a slightly more formal one. We enjoyed both. We also ventured to Red Hook one night, but it wasn't particularly worth it.
To summarize, the Ritz was upscale without being stuffy and had a lovely island feel. Going during the shoulder season was especially worth it as we had the "Comfort You" package which included breakfast and a $100 resort credit each day.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within a 30-acre beachfront estate, The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas blends classic European elegance with warm Caribbean hospitality. The resort overlooks sparkling turquoise waters and white sand beaches on the eastern tip of St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands, along Great Bay and with views of St. John. 180 Guestrooms each have private balconies, Caribbean-inspired decor and views of the Caribbean Sea and tropical surroundings. Other features of our beach resort in St. Thomas include a full service spa and salon, 24-hour fitness center, a Club Level with private concierge and complimentary food and beverage presentations, infinity pool, a beach and aquatic center with ample complimentary water sports, and four restaurants for gourmet dining and personalized service. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, TravelUp, Hotels.com, Priceline, Marriott, Prestigia, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas Hotel St. Thomas
- St. Thomas Ritz-Carlton
- The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands