“Veggie Burger. Service. Views. Awesome!”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Veggie Burger. Service. Views. Awesome!”
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Within a 40 minute taxi ride from the Cyril E. King Airport, on a narrow two-lane stretch of road that meander through potholes, taxi drivers and occasional steep hill I arrived at the Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas. And waiting for me at the porte crochère was a gentleman presenting a glass of punch, holding a bottle of rum and a smile! He asked if I would like a shot in my drink – I said, “shoot on!”

I was summoned to the front desk to be welcomed by a stunning view that overlooked the entire property and the island of St. John in the background. At check-in I was given my resort view room on the ground floor at the Camellia building, centrally located to everything I needed at the property. Rooms were renovated . How recent? I’m not sure but I love the new look. I love the colors. It captures a modern Caribbean vibe and has that comfortable Ritz-Carlton style that you become accustom to when staying at a Ritz-Carlton. The bed was raised high off the floor that I literally climbed into bed each night, but I slept so comfortably which was most important to me since I was working a conference the entire time.

The food was amazing, yet spendy. I ate the Quinoa Veggie Burger at Sails Restaurant … so good so memorable, like the beautiful views! I love the time spent (what little time I had) at the infinity pool. My husband loved the whirlpool at the hotel side versus the residence side of the property. I love the fact it has plenty of beach activities and its own catamaran that has sailing events for the guests, at an additional cost of course. Although the daily resort fee is a hefty additional expense, there is good value to be found as it provides many recreational activities (water and non-water), the ability to stay connected online 24/7 if needed, local phone calls and the convenient service of some else parking your car for you if you have a rental.

The quality of service from the staff was sincere. The facilities were well maintained and the landscaping was impeccable. Just keep in mind, you are on “island time” so it may take a little longer to get your requests fulfilled -- like waiting for bell service to collect your luggage which may take up to 20-30 minutes, or you may need to get the attention of your server for a refill on your drink, or housekeeping may clean your room late – much later than you like them to.

But from the time I checked-in to the time I checked-out… friendly; proficient; and comfortable are the three words deserving my experience at this hotel. Will I go back? Without a doubt!

Room Tip: For whatever reasonable requests you may have, just ask the front desk and most of the time, you sha...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Margie O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

How this hotel doesn't get five stars on every review is beyond us. The location, staff and the service are truly amazing.
We have been to the islands many times but this place is something special.
That being said it's all about the people.
Starting with Audrey then Alexander and Allison.
Then David the chef (I will not disclose the special dish he made for us because I will then have to fly back down there and have it again for myself.)
The amount of gifts we received, the level of service and the attention from those we just named. THEY made it special and this resort is five stars all day long.
One hint on the birds, it's a tropical island people - enjoy nature and if you can't sleep put a towel down by the door to block out the singing of the drackel or whatever that bird is.
Haha!
FIVE STARS!

• Stayed May 2014
Short Hills, New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2014

We had a concierge club room, which I would highly recommend. We used it for breakfasts and cocktails, but saw that many people used it for three meals each day. The hotel room was very nice and clean. No complaints. The beach area was very nice, but got pretty crowded pretty early. You can borrow snorkeling equipment right on the beach and there is plenty to see right off of the shore. The fitness center is surprisingly nice. A lot of equipment and air conditioned! The spa is also very lovely. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Go with concierge club!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank sunfun18
Glenview, Illinois
Reviewed May 20, 2014

The property: This was the second time we had been to this Ritz and I don't think you will find a more beautiful place. Everything was clean and the views are breathtaking.

Maid service: I would give them a 4.5 on this one. They left a dirty rum punch glass and the tables didn't appear to be dusted regularly but other than that, they did a fine job.

General service: I would give this a 4.9. They had a smaller staff because it was slow season. There were a couple of times we had trouble getting a wait person by the pool but overall, not bad.

Restaurant: Service was outstanding here. Food was expensive. Coffee was awful. I don't know why the Ritz can't contract with someplace like Starbucks to get some decent coffee.

Spa: We had 4 treatments between my husband and I. He had a massage. Said it was great. I had a facial, massage and reflexology. I wouldn't have rated any of them much above average. I did mention to the person at the counter about the facial being just ok and the manager offered several times to give me a complimentary mini facial which I declined, simply because I didn't want to spend more time indoors. But she was very nice about it. I have never had a facial and/or massage that didn't include some type of scalp massage, but neither of these did. I was later told they offered a 25 minute scalp massage as an add on. I don't think I ever saw it on the spa menu thought.

The staff in general was wonderful. Very nice and pleasant. My only staff complaint was that when we arrived I asked the woman at the front desk (who appeared to be some kind of manager) where I could go for a good seafood meal since it was my birthday and she tried to send me to the hotel restaurant. We later learned it was closed but having eaten breakfast there, it wasn't a place you would want to eat a special birthday dinner, especially when there is an oceanfront seafood restaurant RIGHT NEXT DOOR.

This blows the Ritz in Puerto Rico out of the water, a place I would never return to.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Allisonfaye
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This is wonderful property. My husband and I enjoyed our honeymoon here in 1998. However, since then they have built a large condo property next door for vacation clubs ownerships. The restaurants are overpriced, the club level rooms with continental breakfast and snacks all day is a much better deal. The staff is exceptional, but the small quaint luxurious Ritz that we visited on our honeymoon seems to be long gone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sealy, Texas
Reviewed May 19, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Ritz last week. The hotel was very beautiful and the staff was great. Our room had a view of the ocean and the pool. It was very comfortable and if we needed the staff to pick us up in the golf carts for anything on the property, we called them on the phone. The restaurants were overpriced and were our least favorite. We ate the majority of our meals off the property in the Red Hook area. Overall though, I would stay at this property again. Everyone was so nice and appreciative.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank karen v v
St. Thomas
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My father & I booked The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas for my mom to relax on Mother's Day. Every year we have brunch at the Ritz and we always end up staying around the property taking in he views and architecture of the place. This year we decided it would be nice to surprise my hard working mom with a weekend getaway. She enjoyed herself. The room was average, but I really like the bathroom. The large shower and bathtub. The porch was rather large and just had two chairs on it so I wondered why it was so spacious with less furniture. However, the Ritz property is very beautiful with very beautiful tropical landscape, but the for being a Ritz Carlton the hotel can upgrade a bit. I enjoyed my time here as well as my parents. The beach is a plus, but there are way better beaches on island to enjoy than staying at the Ritz beach, but there are plenty of activities on the property to enjoy.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Caneel Bay
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!