Message from TripAdvisor:
This place is temporarily closed.

“Everything you would expect from a Ritz.”

The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Ranked #3 of 22 Hotels in St. Thomas
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Fantastic service (including the delivery of real aloe to our room to help with sunburned skin), impeccably clean amenities and rooms, beautiful linens and decor throughout the guest rooms, restaurants and conference center. Fresh, cold citrus water available at the pool and on the beach during daytime hours. Delicious food. The only improvement that I can suggest for this property is to add a small canteen or snack shack, perhaps expand the gift shop to include a wider selection of quick snack foods. Some days you just don't want to have a giant sit down meal and there is nothing available anywhere in the resort that is quick and easy. It would be nice if fresh whole fruit was either made available in the lobby or for sale in the gift shop, along with yogurts and other healthy but quick options. Someone in my party suggested this to the front desk and they did acknowledge that they've received a lot of a similar feedback and are hoping to make a change soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank lisalisa0626
There are newer reviews for The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas

Reviewed April 6, 2014

This hotel is incredible! From the gorgeous landscaping to the tranquil pool, this resort has everything for a luxury vacation. We stayed on the Club Level. Definitely worth the money. Our room was spacious, comfortable and the large covered balcony a treat. We enjoyed made to order omelets each morning and fantastic cocktails. The level of service was impeccable. We could not have asked for more and will return. I'm not sure about the negative reviews...if you have trouble being happy here you might just have trouble being happy...

Room Tip: Club level
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lee879
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My family spent a week over spring break at the St. Thomas Ritz Carlton last year. We still talk about this vacation almost weekly! The property was gorgeous and all the staff were so friendly. Our room was on the 2nd floor and drinking coffee on the private balcony and looking out over the ocean every morning was the best way to start the day. Do make sure to claim your beach chair early because they fill up quickly. The kayaks, paddleboards and snorkeling available were so much fun. We were able to put on our snorkeling equipment right at our beach chair, go into the water and see sea turtles and coral reefs.

The food is very expensive but good. We only ate in town one night, I think if we were to go back we would do this more often. It is a short ride to the ferry to St. John, this is a great day trip.

My only complaint was with the housekeeping, it was not consistent and one evening our room hadn't been cleaned all day and we had to vacate the room in the late evening while they cleaned up after contacting the management. Other than that, the service was wonderful and it was the most relaxing vacation.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor room for the beautiful view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank disugi
Reviewed March 31, 2014

The Good: Nice beach
The Bad: Not up to 4 or 5-star standards -- just not. It's both the big and the little things. There are zero beach attendants. You have to figure out on your own where to pick up beach towels (it's not evident), and they just hand them to you. Our first day at the resort, we walked onto the beach expecting to be shown chaises and "set up," as you will (as one usually is at high end beach resorts). No cigar. Plus, there didn't appear to be any available chaises. We had to traipse back to the restaurant/pool area and ask another guest where to get beach towels. When I asked the woman who was in charge of beach towels if she would help me find 2 available chaises on the beach, she looked at me as though I had asked her to give me her firstborn child. I mean, it was weird. I don't expect beach attendants at a 3-star hotel, but when I'm paying close to $1,000 per day for a room, I have certain expectations and this hotel does not deliver. The rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable -- but you can get a pillow top bed at a Holiday Inn these days. For Ritz prices, I want Ritz service and my advice to anyone considering this hotel is to stay somewhere else and pocket the change.
The Ugly: Our 2nd day at the hotel and our room was never made up. We were at the beach all day and returned to our room at 5pm to find it as we left it in the morning. I called Housekeeping and they sent over a housekeeper to apologize, but she explained that her shift was ending and she was leaving for the day, as in "So sorry, but I'm going home now -- enjoy your unmade bed and wet towels." I was pretty outraged needless to say (again, I'm paying $1,000 per day for this????), and I called the front desk to complain. They took care of it and sent up a "relief," housekeeper and they comped us dinner for the inconvenience, which was decent and right. However, the experience was the experience and it's not what you expect at this price and at this level of hotel. My best advice: buyer beware.
Recommendations to Management (if you're reading this): Train your staff, train your staff, train your staff. I booked my room 3-months in advance and specifically requested (based on recommendations here), a room on a top floor. I was given a room on the 1st floor. It turned out to be fine -- no noise to speak of -- but you should have read my request before I arrived and honored it. The hotel could be wonderful but it's far from that now. You need to overhaul what you're doing regarding your staff, starting with Hotel Management 101. You need to bring in your top people from your other hotels and train, train, train, because what you're doing now just isn't working. Your employees aren't happy and it's very evident in how they treat the hotel guests. The servers in the restaurants are polite and welcome people by name, but it's clear that their hearts aren't in it and there is zero enthusiasm from the staff in general. Very disappointed in your hotel. Did not meet expectations or standards. Please fix.

Room Tip: People on trip advisor recommend a top floor room to avoid noise, but we requested a top floor room...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
13  Thank b0nnieb00p
Reviewed March 30, 2014

- Rooms are fanned out across this large property...all with beautiful views but many with long walking distances between hotel destinations. Don't even think twice about calling the golf cart shuttle service. They are prompt and very friendly.
-The beach below the spectacular Infiniti pool is nice, but the best beach is around the corner at Coconut Cove. Large sea grape trees with hammocks...the BEST (still part of the Ritz property)
-Spend the upgrade for the beachside massage. The sound of the ocean will put you in the zone
-The water craft are free ( non-motorized) but beware, if they have to rescue you out in the bay...there is a cost
-The Champagne Bar at breakfast was the best value ever...even for a Ritz. Unlimited Champagne for the price of one glass! Yes, everyone likes a good deal every now and then.

Enjoy the welcome Rum Punch, accommodating staff, beautiful location ( this property is 20 yrs old but doesn't show it, large grounds with beachfronts just don't exist anymore on the island).

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
11  Thank steveberry2020
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Visited with my family(4kids ages 8-13) and stayed in club level...which is a must if you can afford it. Nothing at the resort is cheap...indeed, everything is prohibitively priced but that was expected. Club level was perfect and the children loved it. Pool is nice...every one of our kids learned to wind surf...lots of beach activities all included. Took a boat for the day to St John and snorkeled all around the island....St John for a day or two is a must. the food at all the restaurants is good although we had dinner off property most of the time. We liked Pesce and Carib Fish Market and Old Stone Farmhouse. In sum a great vacation.

Room Tip: any where near the club Level Lounge is perfect.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank khulslander
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Top notch in every way. Did I say every way? I meant it. There wasn't one employee that we came in contact with, be it for a few seconds to prolonged interactions, who didn't smile, go out of their way, or go the extra mile to make our stay outstanding. Further, the facilities were all in terrific shape. The beach, pool, spa, room, public areas, lobby, restaurants, etc... All were clean and well kept. The entire experience could be rated AAA+. Thank you Ritz Carlton!!

Room Tip: Higher floors towards the Mangrove area in buildings E or F.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in South Coast
Emerald Beach Resort
Emerald Beach Resort
#4 of 7 in Charlotte Amalie

Been to The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas? Share your experiences!